ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 29th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #1
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I did something bad... ;(

Don't kill me!

So I never got around to talking my 2012 to the dealer for the tune up at 600-800 miles. ( I did call them and they seemed to not understand what I was talking about, and then they said it would be $175, which I didn't have the money for. ) I meant to do it myself but a few canyon rides later and my miles jumped up!

Anyway to make a long story short I just changed my oil myself today at 1100 miles. The meter was beyond low, there was no oil in that indicator. I poured in 2 liters, which filled up the indicator to a little more than half. Turned on the bike, and of course it went down to empty again.

I'm going to go buy another liter tomorrow, will that be enough? What else should I do since I took care of my little ninja so badly? Should I change my oil even sooner this time around? What else is done at the tune up, just lubing the chain?

Thanks! I'll be better from now on I promise!
PrincessJae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJae View Post
Don't kill me!

So I never got around to talking my 2012 to the dealer for the tune up at 600-800 miles. ( I did call them and they seemed to not understand what I was talking about, and then they said it would be $175, which I didn't have the money for. ) I meant to do it myself but a few canyon rides later and my miles jumped up!

Anyway to make a long story short I just changed my oil myself today at 1100 miles. The meter was beyond low, there was no oil in that indicator. I poured in 2 liters, which filled up the indicator to a little more than half. Turned on the bike, and of course it went down to empty again.

I'm going to go buy another liter tomorrow, will that be enough? What else should I do since I took care of my little ninja so badly? Should I change my oil even sooner this time around? What else is done at the tune up, just lubing the chain?

Thanks! I'll be better from now on I promise!
Look in your owners manual it will tell you every thing you need to do and at what miles.

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #3
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Look in your owners manual it will tell you every thing you need to do and at what miles.
Yes I understand I can do that, and I've seen the maintenance schedule although I'm not sure I understand half of it. But my main question is is there something additional I should do as damage control for what I did to the bike.

Old June 29th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #4
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Yes I understand I can do that, and I've seen the maintenance schedule although I'm not sure I understand half of it. But my main question is is there something additional I should do as damage control for what I did to the bike.
Really you did not do something that bad considering I have seen other post with a lot more miles the you did. Also my best advise to you is find some one close to you that knows the bike and is able to help you with the work you need to do on it.

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
.....Anyway to make a long story short I just changed my oil myself today at 1100 miles. The meter was beyond low, there was no oil in that indicator. I poured in 2 liters, which filled up the indicator to a little more than half. Turned on the bike, and of course it went down to empty again.
When you check the oil level, the bike needs to be sitting level and vertically (straight up and down) and not on the sidestand. The oil will disappear from the sigh glass when the bike is running. This is normal. Wait several minutes after running the bike for engine oil to settle back into the oil sump, then recheck.

At this point you should not have to add anymore oil, in fact, if checked properly you may be a tad bit over full. two quarts of oil is enough. The oil level should be just below the high level mark on the sight glass. if it is a little past that, don't panic, just drain a little bit out and re-check it.

2008 - 2012 Maintenance Schedule
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #6
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Like Blue said, make sure the bike is vertical when checking the oil level. Have someone sit on the bike if you dont have a stand. Or you can pull the bike vertical from the handlebar (holding onto the brake) while youre kneeling if you think you can do it.

If it was my bike, Id do another change after 500 miles to make sure Ive drained everything from the break-in. Wouldnt hurt.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Don't bother taking note of how much you put in, just make sure it's half way in the sight glass when you keep it upright and it's been off for a few minutes.

I also highly recomend you replace the oil filter also!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

You're fine, that's not that bad. You have good advice as far as oil goes here already. Don't add more than 2 - that's about the maximum these bikes hold. I usually put in just under 2.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
When you check the oil level, the bike needs to be sitting level and vertically (straight up and down) and not on the sidestand. The oil will disappear from the sigh glass when the bike is running. This is normal. Wait several minutes after running the bike for engine oil to settle back into the oil sump, then recheck.

At this point you should not have to add anymore oil, in fact, if checked properly you may be a tad bit over full. two quarts of oil is enough. The oil level should be just below the high level mark on the sight glass. if it is a little past that, don't panic, just drain a little bit out and re-check it.

2008 - 2012 Maintenance Schedule

Thanks! I propped the side stand up on a brick so it was a little more level, but your right I forgot to check 5 min after I turned the bike off. I spent a good hour trying to get the fuel filter bolt off I think I was exhausted and it slipped my mind. Lol, I'll check it again when I get home!

Old June 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #10
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLick415 View Post
If it was my bike, Id do another change after 500 miles to make sure Ive drained everything from the break-in. Wouldnt hurt.
Sounds good! I think I'll do this to be safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post

I also highly recomend you replace the oil filter also!
I did actually! Only the kawasaki filter didn't come with O rings :/ so I'll be sure to change those out next time around. Thanks!