ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 4th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #1
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
what to do with a broken CV axle?

Replaced both of my CV axles in my cage. I looked into refurbing them and selling them but its not cost effective. They're a really strong, heavy piece of metal. I'd use it to keep under my bed so I could use it for when things go bump in the night, but i'm not strong enough to use it effectively that way. What should I do with 'em? I hate hate hate throwing stuff away, and worse case scenario, I recycle em in my scrap metal pile at the local metal recycling plant, but I'd love to hear some ideas you guys might have.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 02:37 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Do what I did make a set of replacement bars, much stronger than the hollow OEM ones, assuming you have access to a machine shop,

Quote:
I started with 1" Bar stock which seemed about perfect for the collar which locks into the riser.* I did everything on the lathe.* I cut the end that goes into the riser first.* It is .080" from the end to the collar.* I center cut that end then drilled it and tapped it all on the lathe.* I over drilled and tapped the hole in case I needed to cut it down.* One tip it is easier to cut down a section that is too big rather than have one too short.* I made the collar a 1/4" again it is easier to make it smaller and it paid off in one case since my dial indicator was off on the riser end on the first one and it was too short so cut into the collar.* The collar width measures .165" it can be thicker but I would not go much thinner.* On the bar cut it is .875 but if you are painting it make sure to take it a couple more thousandths.* Make several passes and check each pass.* I cut the right bar a little more too to make sure the throttle moved smoothly. Also the last pass make it a .005" cut and prior to cutting it oil down the shaft on this last cut.* It will make it a smoother cut.* I also them emory clothed the bar while it was still in the lathe to final finish it.* Make sure to measure and mark the bar end length before resetting it to drill and tap the bar end threads.* I cut the end off on the lathe as the material I had was like cutting butter on the lathe.

Hope this helps.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 12:10 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Badass idea! I give it 5/5 ichiban moto stickers!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Replaced both of my CV axles in my cage. I looked into refurbing them and selling them but its not cost effective. ...What should I do with 'em?
Surprised you didn't have to return them as cores!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Do what I did make a set of replacement bars, much stronger than the hollow OEM ones, assuming you have access to a machine shop,
"M'erica, F'n A"

that's going to add a bit of weight, but firm front end is worth it.

Old July 4th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
"M'erica, F'n A"

that's going to add a bit of weight, but firm front end is worth it.

And much stronger bars than won't bend if you drop the bike.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote