Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #1
TheJeepGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaxon

Motorcycle(s): TRX 450 R Quad, no street

Essential gear?

I'm not an ATGATT guy if I'm going to the store for bread, often I wont even wear a helmet around town, shoot me, I don't want to argue about that because I know that I should. However! What should I have for longer rides? Helmet and gloves are a no brainer, but I keep hearing boots dropped every now and then, I've never seen motorcycle boots. Ever. Or if I have I didn't realize what I was looking at.
  • Helmet
  • Gloves
  • Jacket..?
  • Boots...?
  • Pants...?
Am I missing anything? Links to examples would be much appreciated! Thanks
TheJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Pretty much got it covered with your list.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #3
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Rain gear? If you're riding more than an hour out of town, it's always a good idea to pack a rain suit in case you get caught in some surprise wet weather.

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
WWW.revzilla.com
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Depending on how long and into what weather you ride, your gear may change for longer rides.

An example of motorcycle boots: http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetai...2_0_wp/101/434

Actually that's a good site for examples of everything on your list. i like Tourmaster, inexpensive, and for general riding has been awesome for three years for me.

Typically, boots with no laces or anything to get caught on pegs or pedals, high enough to guard your shin from road debris or rocks, and hefty ankle protection should you wreck and have your foot crushed or twisted by your bike. Some are solid, others have vents, and some are perforated to let a lot of air flow through.

Jacket and pants should have a good tight fit to keep armor in place. Your environment determines the choice on how much mesh to have. Personally, the window between too cold and too hot leaves me a whole whopping hour where mesh feels good. I have a solid textile jacket and pants that are fine.

Your base layer also plays into comfort on long trips. Avoid pants/shorts/underwear that has a seam between your body and the seat as it'll form an uncomfortable pressure point. I wear a top and bottom that helps keep my skin dry while also giving me a means to keep cool (LD Comforts are awesome).
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeepGuy View Post
I'm not an ATGATT guy if I'm going to the store for bread, often I wont even wear a helmet around town, shoot me, I don't want to argue about that because I know that I should. However! What should I have for longer rides? Helmet and gloves are a no brainer, but I keep hearing boots dropped every now and then, I've never seen motorcycle boots. Ever. Or if I have I didn't realize what I was looking at.
  • Helmet
  • Gloves
  • Jacket..?
  • Boots...?
  • Pants...?
Am I missing anything? Links to examples would be much appreciated! Thanks
You on the path to be ATGATT with that list. Good name brand gloves, preferably full gauntlet style to help protect your wrist.

Jackets could be leather, or textile, with approved CE armour rating, don't forget the back protection.

Pants could be overpants, motorcycle jeans w/ Kevlar, Bohn bodyguard system underneath regular clothing.

Boots made specific for motorcycle use, that have armour, not just plain ones.

For example my gear, Fulmer helmets, Fieldsheer jackets, pants and gloves, Bohn bodyguard system, and Oxstar boots.

Here's some examples,

Link to original page on YouTube.

Also I'm posting the following story for the thinking of "I don't need my gear because it's only around the corner"

Quote:

I feel the need to share this posting from the EX-500.COM that happened back in 2009, but it's a timeless story,

the lessons from my mistake (somewhat graphic, be careful)

It's a simple enough story, that went totally wrong, by a fellow forum member by the name of mgbenny

Here is his first post in the long thread, which has over 30,000 views.

Quote:
So. I'm going to try to be direct and straightforward in hopes that anyone who reads this will learn better than I seem to have learned. I made many, many mistakes in the course of this story and I'm aware of them all. If you want to flame, flame away, but I'm already sick over what happened and just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I had my first wreck Thursday night. I had a passenger, which changed the handling of the bike, and I wasn't careful enough. A turn snuck up on us in the dark, and I ran out of lean and lowsided at about 35 mph. We were just going around the corner for a burrito; no gear, no helmets. (not even going to begin to rationalize any of this. Like I said, this was all a result of many bad decisions on my part, and I completely accept that).

I'm sure we only slid for a second or so but I remember it vividly. The bike threw up a storm of sparks, she landed on me and we went over and over. I remember every time she came over me, I was trying to keep her off the asphalt. Then everything stopped and was silent, and the sickest single moment of my life occurred as I thought "I've killed a person. I've killed her." Then time started up again and she started crying. I called my friend from around the corner who took us to the hospital, where I sat with her for 8 hours while she got checked out.

The damages: I've lost lots of skin. I mean, lots. I've never hurt this badly in my life. It was just skin and I'm uninsured, so I thought "I'll take care of it myself." and declined admission to the ER. Scrubbing it out without morphine is the single most painful 30 minutes I've ever felt.

As far as she goes: she's pretty damn rashed up. Probably worse than me. She split her head open over her eyebrow, and it's swelled her eye shut. Two inches to the left and she would have died instantly. She came down hard on her hip and knee, and can't bend them for the swelling. Her x-rays came back clean, so no broken bones. She's medicated, safe at home, and never wants to see me again. I wouldn't either.

Listen up kids. When you ride 2-up, you take somebody's life in your hands. You had damn well better be prepared for that responsibility. I've spend quite a bit of time today sitting on the floor of my room sobbing that I'm such a jackass that I almost took a life. I took responsibility for another person and failed miserably. It's the sickest feeling in the world and I want to spare you all from it. I would give anything in my entire life for the last two days to have never happened.

Pictures below for the strong of stomach, in hopes of scaring you all into being wise. I would accept this unblinkingly as a damn good warning, had I been alone. But someone I care about is in even worse shape, and I am 100% responsible. I never wanted to know what that feels like.

All but the last photo were taken in the hospital bathroom while she was being x-rayed.

Right arm:

Left arm. This one bled for 10 hours:

Left hand. Note the missing skin. By now, 2 days later, it's peeled back about another half-inch around the abrasion:

Left leg. These were my good, heavy pants. They lasted about 6 inches:

Shoulder to waist. If you look closely, you can see all the buttons ripped out of the shirt and I dragged on that side. There's gravel so deep on my pec that I'll never get it out:

At home:

The nurse sent extra stuff with Catie so I could get cleaned up too. What she didn't send was the several vials of morphine that Catie had in her when then scrubbed her out. Tylenol isn't the same. I screamed, threw up, and passed out cleaning these. And the whole time I'm dealing with the fact that I knew better and was in control, and I did this to somebody else who did NOT have control. Day 2, and it's not any easier to live with.

I tried to be completely frank about how I'm feeling in an effort to make the truth set in on you guys. I was a literal 2 inches away from killing her, because I thought we didn't need gear to go 5 blocks, and because she liked the thrill of leaning and I wanted to impress her. Nobody's impressed now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:54:14 AM by mgbenny »
I consider MGBENNY, my close forum friend, and that is why I'm sharing this, along with my other personal friend Britney "QUEEN B" Morrow's story and website (www.rockthegear.org) on all my post as part of my signature.

And why I'm such a strong supporter of her cause, and A.T.G.A.T.T.

If this post saves just one person, it is worth it, and makes one think before riding with no gear.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #7
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
You're also gonna want some body powder

Old July 29th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #8
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Aah! Ghost iI meant to upvote :-(

Old July 29th, 2015, 12:54 AM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
You're also gonna want some body powder

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 29th, 2015, 02:40 AM   #10
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I actually just use the stuff that comes in an orange container that costs a dollar for a huge thing of it. That stuff's extra minty, so as a bonus, it cools you down on those warmer days.

Old July 29th, 2015, 04:23 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Regarding boots:

High work boots (the kind that go partway up your shin) will provide protection comparable to touring boots. However, they have two drawbacks:

1. Your shifter will scrape up the top of the boot. Motorcycle boots have a protector on the top of the left boot to prevent this.

2. Motorcycle boots have smooth bottoms so you can move your feet around on the pegs more easily.

Personally, I wear some cheap Bilt boots for everyday riding, but have a good pair of Sidis that I use for the track. I am an ATGATT guy for sure, but would be comfortable wearing work boots. I would never wear ankle-height boots... that's begging for a busted ankle (think about where the fulcrum will be if your foot gets badly twisted wearing ankle boots).

Regarding gloves: Human instinct is to throw your hands out in a crash, palms outward. If you wear short gloves, that's going to expose your wrist. Makes sense to wear gauntlets, right? I wear race gauntlets, but would be comfortable with touring-type gloves. Don't get sucked in by fancy knuckle protectors and similar gewgaws. What really matters is what's covering the meaty part of your palm (the scaphoid) because that's what you're instinctively going to put on the ground.

Regarding jacket:

The purpose of the jacket is to protect you from abrasion and to hold armor in place. The more abrasion-resistant and smooth the material is, the better -- which is why leather is the best material for motorcycle jackets. For me, it has to be perforated leather... which is not all that hot as long as you're moving. Assuming you don't want to go for leather, textile is the second choice. Mesh is nice and cool but absolutely worthless in the abrasion department.

A jacket must fit snugly enough to keep the armor in place should you go down. Imagine a big muscular guy trying to forcibly remove your jacket without unzipping it. That's what the road is going to do to you if you go down. It's going to grab and tug and pull and twist. If your armor isn't where it's supposed to be, it's not doing its job. Try on a jacket, reach around your left elbow with your right hand, grab the elbow pad and try to pull it out of place. Can you twist the sleeve so much that the pad no longer covers your elbow? Then the jacket is too loose.

The foam back pad that comes with jackets (even really expensive ones) is a joke. Get a back armor insert.

Re pants:
If you're wearing a jacket it's because you want to avoid road rash and bruising on your torso. So logically, pants should provide equivalent protection. That's why riding jeans never really made much sense to me.... okay, so they'll protect from abrasion (maybe, if the seams don't let go) but what about armor? If you're putting armor in your riding jeans, then why not just get proper motorcycle pants?

The same comments re jacket material and fit apply to pants.

Pants are a tough choice, because presumably you don't want to walk around all day wearing motorcycle pants. That means either a) wearing overpants (loose, can be hot, but practical) or b) wearing dedicated pants and carrying a change of clothing (great protection but maybe more of a hassle than you want).

Personally, I wear perforated leather riding pants most of the time. If I'm out on a recreational ride, I just wear them all day. If I'm commuting, I carry a change of clothing. In poor weather (cold or wet), I wear overpants.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; July 29th, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

We have a subforum dedicated to motorcycle gear.

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #13
TheJeepGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaxon

Motorcycle(s): TRX 450 R Quad, no street

Being as that I'm not a race day guy, what do you think about Harley cowboy boots? They're not terribly stiff or soft, full leather, rubber outsole etc.harley boots.jpg
TheJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 01:50 PM   #14
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeepGuy View Post
Being as that I'm not a race day guy, what do you think about Harley cowboy boots? They're not terribly stiff or soft, full leather, rubber outsole etc.Attachment 37592
All style, little function. Better than sneakers, but not by much, certainly not enough better to justify the price.

Something like the Alpinestars S-MX5 is a good entry level street boot. A serious track rider would go up a few notches from that.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

I have the Oxtar Matrix boots, both summer(leather/textile) and winter(leather) configuration both have Gortex. I like these not only do they offer CE armour in the shin, and ankle area, they're very comfortable to wear.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor.../oxtar/matrix/

And for serious riding I have the Oxtar TCS Sport Boots
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-boots/oxtar/

July 2007: Oxtar Boots are now known as TCX Boots. Oxtar was purchased by Novation S.p.A.

Here is one of the best websites for honest reviews of items

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/menu/

ZX-2R BLOG