ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250

Mystery o-ring on oil screen?

Alright so I did my first oil change on a bike today and finally got to the oil screen. It didn't want to come out, but with a little encouragement from a mallet, it gave it a little wiggle and out dropped the screen as well as an unattached o-ring, about an inch in diameter

I tried to play around with it and see how it could have been seated on the oil screen, but it didn't seem like there was any way. It didn't want to stretch around it, and even if it did, there was no groove for it to stay seated on the screen.

I checked the wiki and googled for similar problems but literally no results came back regarding an oil screen o-ring. I put everything back together while leaving the o-ring out. My bike doesn't leak oil, and it doesn't leak while running either.

Do you think i'm alright? Has anyone had to deal with this o-ring before? The only info I could find was about the paper gasket on the oil screen cover.

Also should I be worried about any of the oil change bolts vibrating loose while riding? I didn't have a torque wrench so I got them as snug as they were when I cracked em loose. I planned on riding for 10-15 mins then pulling over and checking them whenever I get out next.
chadh92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadh92 View Post
Alright so I did my first oil change on a bike today and finally got to the oil screen. It didn't want to come out, but with a little encouragement from a mallet, it gave it a little wiggle and out dropped the screen as well as an unattached o-ring, about an inch in diameter

I tried to play around with it and see how it could have been seated on the oil screen, but it didn't seem like there was any way. It didn't want to stretch around it, and even if it did, there was no groove for it to stay seated on the screen.

I checked the wiki and googled for similar problems but literally no results came back regarding an oil screen o-ring. I put everything back together while leaving the o-ring out. My bike doesn't leak oil, and it doesn't leak while running either.

Do you think i'm alright? Has anyone had to deal with this o-ring before? The only info I could find was about the paper gasket on the oil screen cover.

Also should I be worried about any of the oil change bolts vibrating loose while riding? I didn't have a torque wrench so I got them as snug as they were when I cracked em loose. I planned on riding for 10-15 mins then pulling over and checking them whenever I get out next.
Inch in size. Hmmm... There's an one that goes on the shaft that the oil filter housing cover "snaps" into. It seals the shaft from leaking out. The same O ring is used on the coolant tubes that slips back into the engine head as well as the tubing that goes into the water pump. The other O rings inside the motor would be the oil pipe and are about an inch in diameter. No way those could come out unless it ripped out.

As for as torquing the bolts. Snug is fine.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Nope I had the two oil filter o-rings taken care of, that's why this one surprised me. The mystery o-ring is a little bit bigger than the small oil filter o-ring, so maybe it's more like 1.5" in diameter

It was just completely random. I've never had any related issues with my bike though so i'm just going to try and pretend it never happened haha.

Also, it's so nice seeing a nice gum-colored oil in the sight glass rather than the black oil that was in there since I bought the bike. I've heard a lot of people say the bike shifts much smoother after an oil change too so I can't wait to ride tomorrow and see what that's about.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Nope I had the two oil filter o-rings taken care of, that's why this one surprised me. The mystery o-ring is a little bit bigger than the small oil filter o-ring, so maybe it's more like 1.5" in diameter

It was just completely random. I've never had any related issues with my bike though so i'm just going to try and pretend it never happened haha.

Also, it's so nice seeing a nice gum-colored oil in the sight glass rather than the black oil that was in there since I bought the bike. I've heard a lot of people say the bike shifts much smoother after an oil change too so I can't wait to ride tomorrow and see what that's about.
shifting is mo betta! The engine oil is shared with the transmission.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #5
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
shifting is mo betta! The engine oil is shared with the transmission.
Awesome!! Can't wait to ride now.

Old May 17th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
May it be from the plug of the oil refill hole on the clutch cover?

That big plug-bolt is about 1" diameter and it has an O-ring.

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...diTBjCe0Iw.jpg
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #7
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Of the top of my head, that's probably it. From what I remember it's EXACTLY the size of the oil fill cap.

If it fell out with the oil screen though, that means i've had an o-ring floating around in my oil, which probably is an awful thing, right lol?

I'll walk outside here in a little bit and check to be sure. Also I rode for a little bit today, no leaks, no problems, shifting is a little bit smoother.

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Of the top of my head, that's probably it. From what I remember it's EXACTLY the size of the oil fill cap.

If it fell out with the oil screen though, that means i've had an o-ring floating around in my oil, which probably is an awful thing, right lol?

I'll walk outside here in a little bit and check to be sure. Also I rode for a little bit today, no leaks, no problems, shifting is a little bit smoother.
what is this oil screen....? is it the same as the filter cartridge?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
what is this oil screen....? is it the same as the filter cartridge?
Attached is where it's located. Not the same as oil filter media.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqF,!pcE7BcvkHhDBO6rV0gn,g~~60_12.JPG (54.9 KB, 5 views)

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Ah thanks for the picture, I recognize this now.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.........i've had an o-ring floating around in my oil, which probably is an awful thing, right lol?
Yes, ............especially for the O-ring !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #12
chadh92
ninjette.org member

Oh okay, well now I know it wasn't just circulating in the system...whew!

Idk how it could fit over that oil screen. I tried to stretch it but it was really inelastic, much less so than the two oil filter o-rings (or so I thought).

Well lets hope there's no problems. I'm not draining the oil again if I don't notice any issues lol

Old May 17th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #13
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Good thing you checked the oil screen. More than likely, its the o-ring from the filler cap like motofool said. However, I think there are also large o-rings of that size that are used by the water pump. But since you have no leaks and nothing strange about your oil or coolant, then its most likely the filler cap o-ring. Bottom line: Don't worry about it if there isn't a problem. A rubber o-ring is one of the few things that can be dropped in the oil filler and not cause damage.