ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Bounty Hunter
n00b

Name: Todd

Motorcycle(s): '11 Ninja 250R SE green/black

n00b '11 Ninja 250R owner!

I grew up around cars. I spent most of my youth at the drag strip with my father. We built cars and raced them. A friend had a dirtbike that I rode occasionally, but my family owned 3 wheelers so I spent most of my time of 3-4 wheels other than riding my BMX bike.

Over the years I got involved in AutoX and roadcourse track days. I found out that I enjoyed turning much more than going straight down a 1/4 mile. I've had the pleasure to own some great cars and I still do have a '69 Camaro, but I really don't own a great track day car at the moment.

More recently we purchased sport quads and have been riding them the past few years. I'm also really into bicycles and I prefer to ride off road trails.

I'm 36 yrs old and I've always had interest in street bikes. After much research I traded my '05 Honda 400EX sport quad towards an '11 Ninja 650R about a month ago. I signed up for the MSF class in the meantime and my class starts in just over a week.

My father and I decided we would share the 650. In the meantime we were looking for another motorcycle so we could ride together. During that time I started reading online forums and websites which were saying that a beginner should start on a 250. I decided to start looking at Ninja 250's and my father would purchase the 650 (we share a lot of things anyways...sport quads, cars, etc). My Dad is 65 and he's one of the coolest senior citizens you would ever meet. Here she is. I named her Dark Passenger (Dexter fans should get this).

I was initially checking for used Ninja 250s without much luck. It just seems like there weren't many for sale around here. Everything I did find was either overpriced or beatdown. I briefly considered the new '11 CBR 250R as well until I saw one in person. I sat on it and I just wasn't comfortable. It felt smaller to me than the new Ninja 250R. The dealership I was at also had a used '09 Ninja 250R. It was a little beatup and I would've considered it, but the best deal they would do on it was 3200. For me it made more sense to spend a little more and buy new. I know some of you might not agree with that for a n00b, but it was what I decided on. I got an '11 Ninja 250R Special Edition in green/black.

I went on my first test ride. This was the first street bike I've ever been on. It felt incredible...such a feeling of freedom. Since I ride bicycles on a regular basis I was thinking that might give me an edge, but it didn't really feel the same to me at all. I can't wait for the MSF course so I can learn the proper way.

Frame sliders are first on the list. I was thinking of going with the Shoguns, but if you recommend another brand let me know. I haven't found out if R&G makes them for the 250R, but we installed them on the 650R and they are high quality.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm excited and looking forward to learn as much as possible with the help of this forum.

-Todd

Last futzed with by Bounty Hunter; May 23rd, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Bounty Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Welcome to the forum!

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Welcome
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Bounty Hunter
n00b

Thanks guys. I'll post up some pics soon.

After my first test ride I'm really glad I went with the 250. I know some people start much bigger, but I think it was the right choice. I can definitely see myself holding onto this bike for years. I can see how this bike would still be fun for an expert rider even though it's the slowest sport bike out there.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 05:54 PM   #6
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

welcome
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Bounty Hunter
n00b

I figured I'd also add that I picked up an Icon Contra jacket (black), a pair of RS Taichi GP-1 leather gloves (black). I've got an older, no name full face helmet (DOT and SNELL) that I will use until I can afford a nice Shoei.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Congrats &

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM   #9
IndyTwoFiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Blue Ninja 250r

Welcome! I'm pretty new also, but this is the PREMIER 250r site...I've searched them all. These guys and gals, are friendly, and very helpful!
IndyTwoFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:31 AM   #10
EvoXNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kai

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

EvoXNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #11
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

What did you race in AutoX? I used to race D-mod, a Lotus Super 7, was lot's of fun.

For sliders I would go with the Shogun's, I put them on my wife's 250 and want to get em for mine some time soon.

This really is a neat bike, I have had many others but after 21 years of street riding the 250 is my one and only street bike... loads of fun!!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:54 PM   #12
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Welcome!

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #13
mhobie16
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki DR 350/2005 Ninja my Geo Metro on 2 wheels

ya what he said

I really enjoy my Ninja,I just did a 490 mile trip yesterday and the LiL Ninja had me smiling the whole way,it should have the same effect on you!!

Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:04 PM   #14
Bounty Hunter
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post

What did you race in AutoX? I used to race D-mod, a Lotus Super 7, was lot's of fun.

For sliders I would go with the Shogun's, I put them on my wife's 250 and want to get em for mine some time soon.

This really is a neat bike, I have had many others but after 21 years of street riding the 250 is my one and only street bike... loads of fun!!
I bet that Lotus was a hoot! I've been AutoXing since '99. I first raced an '00 Integra Type R. I've had several other very fun cars since then...swapped Civic hatchback, Sentra SE-R, WRX, STi (to name a few) and most recently an EVO IX RS that has been giving me some serious seller's remorse. I have some slow cars now...'09 Honda Fit and a '98 Subaru 2.5RS coupe. I never fully prep'd a car any of my cars, but I still had a lot of fun. I got a lot more interested in track days. We have a nice roadcourse only 15-20 min away from my door.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Shoguns. I ordered their full crash kit today.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #15
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Bounty Hunter
n00b

I have yet to take some quality pics of my Ninja-ette. In the meantime I figured I'd post some of my cars, past and present to add more depth to my thread.

My '69 Camaro SS 396 resto mod project. Just got it back from paint a couple months ago. This baby has been in my family since I was born.

'09 Fit Sport with my GF/Trek X-Cal next to it. Definitely not fast whatsoever, but this car is one of the best DDs money can buy IMO. She's lowered on Eibach springs, tinted windows, powdercoated OEM wheels, Dynamat throughout.

'98 2.5RS coupe. This car is so much fun for only havint 165 hp. I've been letting my father use it for now to save on fuel.

Gone, but not forgotten...

EVO IX RS. Eva the Great White Shark will always be missed.

STi

WRX

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

Nice rides, I love the Subi's

I AutoX 2 cars, my buddies Lotus for 2 years (free for me to use and the most fun on 4 wheels EVER)...

My 03 Cobra, this was fun and I thought fast... until driving the Lotus

I got out of AutoX a few years back. It just took a lot of time but it was really fun to do and pretty cheap.

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #18
Bounty Hunter
n00b

Ever since I became a LEO (past 6 yrs) I haven't been involved as much as I used to in AutoX. I work nights and a lot of weekends. I maybe attend 1-2 events a year. It also doesn't help that I'm a lot more into roadcourse track days. Our local track is www.midamericamotorplex.com which is a great track to not kill yourself on. It's flat without any walls so if you do go off you should be okay. If I get good enough at this motorcycle thing then I'd like to check it out on the 250 sometime.

Oh and nice choice on the 03 Cobra. So much potential! I was looking for Terminators after selling the EVO, but decided it made more sense to buy something better for daily commuting. I also thought hard about a C5 Z, but I just didn't want to shell out the dough for a clean, low mileage one.

Old May 24th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #20
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
Ever since I became a LEO (past 6 yrs) I haven't been involved as much as I used to in AutoX. I work nights and a lot of weekends. I maybe attend 1-2 events a year. It also doesn't help that I'm a lot more into roadcourse track days. Our local track is www.midamericamotorplex.com which is a great track to not kill yourself on. It's flat without any walls so if you do go off you should be okay. If I get good enough at this motorcycle thing then I'd like to check it out on the 250 sometime.

Oh and nice choice on the 03 Cobra. So much potential! I was looking for Terminators after selling the EVO, but decided it made more sense to buy something better for daily commuting. I also thought hard about a C5 Z, but I just didn't want to shell out the dough for a clean, low mileage one.
Good stuff man, my LEO days are over, in IT now.

Thanks man, the Cobra was fun. I modded it then got bored and went onto the next toy. Sticking with Jeep's and my 250 for a while now... good cheap fun at lower speeds.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #21
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Bounty Hunter
n00b

MSF class this week/weekend. Classroom the other day and today. We start riding on Sat. Rain is in the forecast. I'm doing my anti-rain dance.

Here she is (I haven't named her yet)

I'm as excited as a kid with a new toy

We got the Shogun frame sliders installed this week!

Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #23
kkim

nothin' says it better than the new owner, $hit eating grin! love it!

enjoy the bike and the MSF course.

Last futzed with by kkim; June 2nd, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:42 PM   #24
slolane
Motorcyclist

Nice pics!!

Be happy and enjoy that new bike.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM   #25
ducducgooseit

Name: ...