ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old November 29th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Universal Gear Indicator ? Digital

I found this online.

IT seems a little cheezy teh way it uses a magnetic sensor to tell when you shift but I think it would be a neat add on to know what gear I am in when I am being absentminded.

Anyone try this?

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Digi...LED+motorcycle
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #2
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

check out the DIY at http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91040
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #3
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I bought one but haven't tried hooking it up yet because it seems like a pain in the ass . I agree though, it'd be helpful for me. Sometimes I simply forget what gear I'm in and don't want to use my brainpower to calculate gearing thru RPM/mph.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #4
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I have one, and it is a PITA to setup. I was literally making adjustments of 0.5mm to get the magnets right. I've been thinking about redoing it with mechanical switches. It's nice to have though.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2014, 10:19 PM   #5
linkinpark9812
ninjette.org member

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): Black 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I have one, and it is a PITA to setup. I was literally making adjustments of 0.5mm to get the magnets right. I've been thinking about redoing it with mechanical switches. It's nice to have though.
Ya, I made one and it was a pain to get it right. It works 90-95% of the time and will sometimes miss a gear if I don't bang up or down hard enough on the gear lever. But going to neutral at a stop resets it anyways.

Mechanical switches actually sounds like a good idea, small switches mounted where the gear lever is with thin, short piece of cylindrical metal (kind of like a clothes hanger) which protrudes just above and below the lever.
linkinpark9812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:12 AM   #6
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

I think it only helps for those of you who have fitted fuel injection and the ECU but this works nicely on our UK bikes:

http://www.pzracing.it/catalogo-2/pr...-zero/?lang=en

I guess if you are having shifter magnet accuracy issues the only other way to go is to find signals such as wheel speed and rpm to feed in to a device like this (or similar)?

What signals do you have easy access to on the carb'd bikes?

Cheers, Pete
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 09:25 AM   #7
linkinpark9812
ninjette.org member

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): Black 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
I think it only helps for those of you who have fitted fuel injection and the ECU but this works nicely on our UK bikes:

http://www.pzracing.it/catalogo-2/pr...-zero/?lang=en

I guess if you are having shifter magnet accuracy issues the only other way to go is to find signals such as wheel speed and rpm to feed in to a device like this (or similar)?

What signals do you have easy access to on the carb'd bikes?

Cheers, Pete
Wheel speed (aka speed of bike) is mechanical, but you can easily put a magnet and sensor on the wheel (like a bicycle) and get a wheel speed.

RPM can be determined by the crankshaft sensor pulse.

From a micro controller standpoint, it could easily take the signals of those two and get a speed and RPM.

I'm guessing what you are getting at is if you know the gear ratio output of the bike, you could determine the gear the bike is in?

Should be able to get access to clutch being pulled in or not, which would prevent the system from trying to determine a gear with it pulled in.

Could also use the neutral light to reset the display to a "0" or "-".
linkinpark9812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #8
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
For some reason the neutral-reset on my unit stopped working a season ago, so I manually tap it (lightly) to '1' at stop lights. Technically I wouldn't need to, since shifting to first when I go would be the same, but when I'm sitting there I like to see the '0'. Assuming there isn't a short in the neutral-trigger wire, the fault is in the ebay indicator. My ninja's neutral light is operational, and that's where I tapped in. I've got bigger fish to fry at the moment, but will eventually revisit it.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Rather than using the shifter lever, another option is to mount the magnet on (and the pickups near) the shifter rod. It doesn't avoid the problem of having to align everything precisely, but it changes the details so it might be easier to set up.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/automotive/006/ is a DIY version of these things.

I bought a gear indicator display back when I had my Vulcan. Just like http://www.ebay.com/itm/320907030237.

I really like that it has the numbers in red, plus a green N - I haven't seen that on any of the other setups. It only goes up to 5, but that just means it would turn off in 6th (which could actually be nice for when I'm just cruising around). It's designed for bikes that come with (or are at least wired for) a gear indicator like this, so I still have to come up with an actual gear detector to go along with it. This has all the number-display-smarts on the LED (a common power wire and a ground for each number), whereas the indicator circuits I've seen are designed for a generic 7-segment LED and include the smarts for which segments should be lit up, so it's not a direct swap into the DIY stuff I've seen. The first one they sent me had a half-dead segment, so they sent me a free replacement - maybe I'll take the first one apart sometime and see what I can come up with.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2018, 12:33 PM   #10
stathis91
ninjette.org newbie

Name: stathis

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Hallo guys i dont understand for connect white cable please help me picture anything i have ninja 250
stathis91 is offline   Reply With Quote