ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old March 3rd, 2018, 08:31 AM   #1
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
kisan electronics headlight modulator

Link to original page on YouTube.https://kisantech.com/mag/
i’ve waited awhile b4 doing a review on this as i wanted to hard test it. it passed with flying colors! these modulators will save your life. price is on the high side but this unit is top notch plus we run dual headlights. this means basically a double unit. unit is plug n play. you must use nighttime sensor(plugs in easily)
cost $169.95
specs:
P115W-DHL is a Master/Slave configuration. There are no additional boxes to wire-in, or any wires to be cut.

P115W-DHL designed for a motorcycle with dual H7 2-pin Japanese or EURO style headlamps, or dual HB9/HB11 oval plug headlight bulbs.

For plug-n-play installation, select Bulb Adapter Option from above. The Aadpters will come pre-installed with the unit.

The Dual High/Low DHL-version requires that the lo-beam bulb stays ON, even when the hi-beam is switched on. DHL-version will modulate both bulbs during daytime.

pathBlazer circuit modulates the hi-beam current - from 100% ON to about 17% OFF. This is accomplished by using a p-channel MOSFET, which is inherently safe. The MOSFET is designed to fail in the ON state. For additional safety, the circuits DO NOT utilize the lo-beam whatsoever!

MAX power rating is 115 watts. DO NOT EXCEED!

P115W-DHL comes with a detachable daylight sensor, which simply plugs into the pathBlazer. The daylight sensor functions as a switch; it stops modulation when it cannot see enough daylight. Since the internal circuitry is controlled by a microprocessor, it allows for customizable features.

Old March 3rd, 2018, 10:40 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looks good!

Running two headlights is cool and all, (and modulators are great for visibility when used sparingly and intentionally) but remember that one side is designed as a high beam and the other side is designed as a low beam.

This means that the beam pattern they project is very different on each side. Low beam is a wide flat flood light aimed down ~2.5" at 25'. High beam is a long distance spot light aimed more straight ahead. By modulating the high beam, you're knowingly running the high beam, which puts light in oncoming traffic's eyes. If the modulator runs at a maximum of a lower voltage, that's good and acceptable (see cars that run high beams at low voltage as DRL's) but from your description, this unit does not do that.

I'm not being critical because this is a great mod for being visible, but remember that while some people will respond positively to a visible motorcyclist, some people will respond poorly to being high beamed. Keep this in mind with how you use the modulator.

Anecdotal example; I have a headlight for my bicycle. It will run low power, medium power, or full power constantly on. It also has a mode where it flashes full power about 2x per second. At night I typically use low power around town on roads that have lots of lighting, medium power around roads with occasional lighting, and high power on rural or very dark roads. I use the flash function when the weather is poor and I want to be seen (fog, rain, dawn/dusk, etc) but don't need to light my own path. When I use the flash mode, I've had people respond in 1 of 3 ways; they treat me like a vehicle, they high beam me back, or they turn around and yell at me. (I live in rural ohio with some seriously intolerant people).

Is it possible to modulate just the low beam to gain visibility without being annoying to traffic with the high beam? I feel like that would reduce the odds of getting angry drivers.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2018, 01:22 PM   #3
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
I’ve seen too many crashes where carspulled out in front of a motorcycle. hey ,if it makes him angry so what. this is my life. yes,the debate headlight modulator will rage on, but it’s legal in all 50 states. good points you made though. i do not know about single modulation. might not be legal.

Last futzed with by maverick9611; March 3rd, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:32 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, current stats from NHTSA and insurance companies show majority of crashes has driver not seeing rider and turning/pulling-out right in front of them.

Will this modulator work like this:

1. High-beam switch OFF = low-beam on steady, high-beams flashing
2. High-besm switch ON = low-beam on steady, high-beams on steady

I've tried flashing lights on my bicycle for night riding (I train about 6000-7000miles/yr). But get dizzy when the lights flash off completely. So I have two lights on my bars now, one steady and one flashing.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:56 PM   #5
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
no it only works on high beam only. it's not active at all on low beam. can it be modded?yes just buy one. with having 2 side by side bulbs your basically having to buy a dual unit. the question why? would you not want maximum modulation with 2 bulbs for increased visibility?

Old March 10th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

It'll work great during daytime with both bulbs going, just causes me dizziness and headaches @ night.

Old March 10th, 2018, 10:16 PM   #7
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
It'll work great during daytime with both bulbs going, just causes me dizziness and headaches @ night.
at night or tunnels or anything the sensor deems dark it will cancel out the flashing. this is a mandatory feature that all modulators must have. i also keep the d.o.t./federal law paperwork stating they are legal with my registration/insurance card.(just in case) since you live in the bay area(i lived their for 3 years in novato)i would deem the modulator a must have. the traffic is crazy.

Old March 11th, 2018, 05:44 AM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ that's the cool part I didn't know about. Auto shut off of the modulating function when it's dark outside. I assumed you ran a tiny cheater switch somewhere discrete to shut it off manually

Old March 11th, 2018, 06:32 AM   #9
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
^^ that's the cool part I didn't know about. Auto shut off of the modulating function when it's dark outside. I assumed you ran a tiny cheater switch somewhere discrete to shut it off manually
no i did not.

Old March 11th, 2018, 06:40 AM   #10
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
https://www.webbikeworld.com/wp-cont...ulator-law.pdf

Old March 11th, 2018, 04:08 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
at night or tunnels or anything the sensor deems dark it will cancel out the flashing. this is a mandatory feature that all modulators must have. i also keep the d.o.t./federal law paperwork stating they are legal with my registration/insurance card.(just in case) since you live in the bay area(i lived their for 3 years in novato)i would deem the modulator a must have. the traffic is crazy.

Cool i'm definitely getting one along with the hazards flasher mod. I don't have to commute very often as I just take ferry to SF. But when I do, traffic is horrible. Pretty much have to split entire way!

Old March 11th, 2018, 04:19 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
from my reading of that, I can configure so lights flash alternately, left-right-left-right. Would appear to be most noticeable configuration along with flashing hazards!!!

Old March 11th, 2018, 06:31 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Check with your laws... wig wag patterns are often reserved for emergency vehicles.

Old March 11th, 2018, 09:24 PM   #14
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Cool i'm definitely getting one along with the hazards flasher mod. I don't have to commute very often as I just take ferry to SF. But when I do, traffic is horrible. Pretty much have to split entire way!
i was splitting on bay bridge lower deck following another bike(i was on vulcan 500)vehicles were so close that i hit someones side mirror!i rattled me. since our ship was always in alameda i split lanes everyday.good luck on flasher. their are several companies that do it.