ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old December 7th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #1
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Got some rashed shark skinz for $400

Gotta try my hand at bondo and repair. They were crack and repaired but the outside are need some help.

The last pic is my first try at bondo, will need to sand a lot down, and then apply more bondo to try to fill in the gaps
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Looks like you are getting it.

As far as working the Bondo goes, I would suggest making sure the entire area where the filler will be going is sanded pretty aggressively. Typically that's grinding with a 40-grit disc, but that cuts into gelcoat/fiberglass pretty quickly, so maybe a coarse disc on a DA. Then clean well with a degreaser or denatured alcohol.

One tip on shaping the filler - keep working and shaping it as it starts to set-up. As it starts to set, reduce the pressure and continue to lightly shape it with the spreader until you can't any longer.

I would shape what you have with a sanding block and coarse paper (maybe 80 or so) before adding more filler. That will level out the filler that's on there and give you a better idea of where additional filler is needed. It also reduces the amount of filler you need to put on and makes getting the right shape easier. Sand/shape until you start to see high spots of the original material come through.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #3
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Looks like you are getting it.

As far as working the Bondo goes, I would suggest making sure the entire area where the filler will be going is sanded pretty aggressively. Typically that's grinding with a 40-grit disc, but that cuts into gelcoat/fiberglass pretty quickly, so maybe a coarse disc on a DA. Then clean well with a degreaser or denatured alcohol.

One tip on shaping the filler - keep working and shaping it as it starts to set-up. As it starts to set, reduce the pressure and continue to lightly shape it with the spreader until you can't any longer.

I would shape what you have with a sanding block and coarse paper (maybe 80 or so) before adding more filler. That will level out the filler that's on there and give you a better idea of where additional filler is needed. It also reduces the amount of filler you need to put on and makes getting the right shape easier. Sand/shape until you start to see high spots of the original material come through.
thanks for the advice! yeah the area to left got a little rough for some reason. I have a DA, so that will help me get it sanded down pretty quickly. I just wanted to get enough to feather it out. The damage was hard to see in the pic but it was like 1/2" cut. So I knew it would take a few layers to fix it. or at least make it halfway decent.
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #4
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Once your done painting it get as many decals as you can find, decals disguise fiberglass repairs really well
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote