ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 15th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #1
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Name: Dalton

Motorcycle(s): 98 kawasaki ninja250r

Ignition key install problems please help ninja 250

Hello I have a ninja 250 older model that has 6 pin for the ignition switch and I have a ignition key switch that was made for ninja 250 and my year but only has 4 pins how do I wire it so everything works on the 4 pin you got black, red, green, and white with a black stripe. And the 6 pin has red, white, white with green stripe, black almost like a gray tho maybe from age, red with blue strip,white with black strip, and brown so like a 7pin connection.
knightdalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdalton View Post
Hello I have a ninja 250 older model that has 6 pin for the ignition switch and I have a ignition key switch that was made for ninja 250 and my year but only has 4 pins how do I wire it so everything works on the 4 pin you got black, red, green, and white with a black stripe. And the 6 pin has red, white, white with green stripe, black almost like a gray tho maybe from age, red with blue strip,white with black strip, and brown so like a 7pin connection.
The stock keyswitch has 7 wires, and uses all of them. Sounds like the part you got isn't a direct stock replacement. If you want to use it, you'll have to figure out what its wires do, and most likely you won't be able to perfectly replicate the stock setup.

1988+ Ninja EX250 FULL Wiring Diagram here!

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #3
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Name: Dalton

Motorcycle(s): 98 kawasaki ninja250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
The stock keyswitch has 7 wires, and uses all of them. Sounds like the part you got isn't a direct stock replacement. If you want to use it, you'll have to figure out what its wires do, and most likely you won't be able to perfectly replicate the stock setup.

1988+ Ninja EX250 FULL Wiring Diagram here!
Yeah I know that's why I'm here trying to see if anyone of you guys know it.? It's an 97 model
knightdalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
I have a ignition key switch that was made for ninja 250 and my year but only has 4 pins
It's a generic switch, not a direct replacement.

Quote:
how do I wire it so everything works
It's impossible for a switch with only 4 wires to replace the stock part (a triple-pole switch) without losing some functionality.

Someone else may be able to provide some insight as to which colors on the new switch do what, but it's best to get that info from the manufacturer (since there's nothing requiring them to use certain colors).

FYI, the OEM ignition has a resistor built into it, which acts as a security feature for the ignition. If the new switch doesn't have one, you'll need to add it or the bike won't run.

I highly suggest returning this one and just getting the right switch. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Wiring a non OEM ignition switch, to the bike you'll need a multimeter to see what wire does what on the non OEM part, and then compare that to the OEM wires.

You'll need to figure the wiring out the old fashion way.

And I'm betting the non OEM ignition switch doesn't contain the 100ohm resistor that is required to make the bike run in the first place.

Personally I'm with InvisiBill on this get the proper switch and save yourself a ton of problems.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post

FYI, the OEM ignition has a resistor built into it, which acts as a security feature for the ignition. If the new switch doesn't have one, you'll need to add it or the bike won't run.

I highly suggest returning this one and just getting the right switch. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.
All of this.

Just get the right part.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote