ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Fog and slippery roads

So this morning I left my house with beautiful sunshine, and as I get closer to work I hit a pretty nasty wall of fog
Besides slowing down a lot and wiping the visor constantly.. what other advise you have to give a new rider like me when riding in the fog?
I made it to work safely, but it sure wasn't a fun ride.. the only good side of it was that all the cars were going slow too
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Don't out run your headlights and flash your brake lights constantly to let people behind you know you're there.

I'd advise against putting your high beams on...as...well...it'll make things worse.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:21 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Keep your headlights on low beam, use your blinkers and do a head check before changing lanes/turning. I also constantly tap the brakes while moving and especially at a stop to make myself more visible.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Ride easier on the turns since oil will be slicker and reflective gear can help, and like always in any weather day or night have an "out" in case you need to move out of the way fast.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Crack your visor open so more wind will circulate in your helmet and it'll fog less (just one "click" of the visor is enough).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Crack your visor open so more wind will circulate in your helmet and it'll fog less (just one "click" of the visor is enough).
I thought about that.. but it was too cold on my face
I just cracked it a tiny bit..

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:16 AM   #7
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Don't out run your headlights and flash your brake lights constantly to let people behind you know you're there.

I'd advise against putting your high beams on...as...well...it'll make things worse.
I didn't think of using headlights on low beam instead of high beam.. thank you!

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
Ride easier on the turns since oil will be slicker
I was really afraid of that, and took my turns reaaally slow.. it still felt like it was sliding a bit though.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
I was really afraid of that, and took my turns reaaally slow.. it still felt like it was sliding a bit though.
You can kinda see the oily spots on the road, and also always use A and C positions in lanes cause the middle has the main oil buildup.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
I thought about that.. but it was too cold on my face
I just cracked it a tiny bit..
Awww, it's crazy how soft us San Diegans get. We're pretty spoiled by weather here. I've only lived here a year and now 60 is cold and anything above 80 is hot
My friends now make fun of me anytime they visit since I'll be cold at night and they're in shorts...I'm from NYC where it'll go above 100 and drop below 0, but cant imagine what that feels like anymore.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Awww, it's crazy how soft us San Diegans get. We're pretty spoiled by weather here. I've only lived here a year and now 60 is cold and anything above 80 is hot
My friends now make fun of me anytime they visit since I'll be cold at night and they're in shorts...I'm from NYC where it'll go above 100 and drop below 0, but cant imagine what that feels like anymore.
LOl.. I came here from Chicago a year and 1/2 ago.. it looks like we adapted to the warmer climate fairly quickly

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:25 AM   #12
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali619 View Post
You can kinda see the oily spots on the road, and also always use A and C positions in lanes cause the middle has the main oil buildup.
True!! I learned that at the MSF course, I'll have to remember that when I'm riding though

Old September 3rd, 2010, 09:59 AM   #13
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
I didn't think of using headlights on low beam instead of high beam.. thank you!
You know...considering the craptacular weather we often get in Toronto, I've considered putting fog lights on my bike haha.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #14
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Keep your headlights on low beam, use your blinkers and do a head check before changing lanes/turning. I also constantly tap the brakes while moving and especially at a stop to make myself more visible.
Good point. I didn't think of that.

I encountered some early morning fog on a commute and didn't even think about visibility. When I first saw the fog I thought I was headed into some rain. The weather report didn't call for rain so I was a little freaked since I've never ridden in the rain.

I slowed down and when I entered the fog bank it was a strange feeling. There was such a distinction between "fog" and "no fog". It was like riding into cloud.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #15
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Quote:
True!! I learned that at the MSF course, I'll have to remember that when I'm riding though
Ill stop stating the obvious lol, if your interested in keith codes twist of the wrist 1 and 2 pm me I got em in pdf. Really gets your mind thinking and wanting to be on the bike 24/7