ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 5th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Rebuilding brakes: tools?

I want to rebuild my brake calipers and reservoirs for various reasons. What tool from Harbor Freight will I need? Can I get by with the super-cheap "one person" tool or is that for fluid flushing only? Do I need one of the vacuum tools? They seem to have several and I don't know which is most appropriate.

Basically, my rear calipers are disgusting and I've never been able to get pistons clean with attempts at many pad changes. It could be responsible for my funny wear on the rear caliper and my poor fuel economy. All the service manuals and such say to "make sure" they are clean and move freely without saying how except for parts cleaner, which is impossible to apply without contacting rubber parts and doesn't seem to work anyway (used a whole can many years ago). While they have instructions for a rebuild, they never quite go into what tools do what and which are more appropriate.

I also have a new black caliper that I want to install on the front and I have seen the front reservoir sweating in the past (I guess this is why they make socks that surround it). I want to replace the lid and gasket just in case. Since I plan to do so much brake work, I might as well get the right tool.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

You might not need to rebuild them if they do not leak fluid. I would pump the brakes till the pistons can be removed, and then pull the caliper so you can check the seals, and clean any residue off the inside of the caliper bores carefully. Clean the pistons with some emory cloth so as not to scratch and damage the piston and finish them off with some 0000 steel wool for a final polish. If you pump the pistons out till you see clean metal and use some emory cloth to clean and polish the pistons before pushing them back inside, you'll always have a caliper at it's best possible working condition.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullz View Post
Thanks. It looks like I still will lose brake fluid and will require the same tool. I still don't know if the one-man non-vacuum tool is correct.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote