ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 18th, 2021, 02:21 PM   #1
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

2009 Ninja 250 theft recovery rebuild

I am sharing this because I feel accomplished and don’t have anyone to tell. At least nobody who appreciates my undertaking. This journey started 18 months ago at this point. I got a 2009 ninja 250r theft recovery from my brother, it was only missing for a few days but it had a busted ignition and did not turn on even after my brother purchased a Chinese ignition. I got it from him for $400 and decided I was going to have to just service the entire thing. My brother had originally purchased it from some guy on Craigslist who kind of mashed a bunch of bikes together and half the things on it where broken or did not work, the vin number matches title for a 2009 but a few production stickers on the frame and engine have a manufacturer date of 02/2012. He ran it into the ground further until it was stolen. So when I got it all hoses where shot, all bearings where shot, the suspension was terrible and my brother told me how it was constantly bottoming out, forks where leaking heavily. Front brakes didn’t work because the caliper was seized, rear brake was leaking fluid. Brake lines where in poor shape spongy and leaking, fluid reservoir was leaking and full of dents, Sprockets where completely worn out, chain was covered in rust and in poor shape, all the turn signals broken and most of the fairings just gone and what was left where in poor shape. The front cowling was cracked and the support had been bent back into shape but badly rusting and looking bad, engine supports where cracked, engine was only held in place by bottom bolt(my bother later told me how he could feel the engine move independently from frame while he was accelerating etc.), radiator was leaking, all hoses where spongy and leaking. The handle bars where all bent and all the controls felt hard, the choke, the carb, and the clutch cables where all damaged and breaking. The engine oil was black and there was oil leaking from the head And from oil filter. Battery tray and a lot of other smaller items where missing so wires where just kind of shoved under the seat. Odometer was cracked and the gas gauge didn’t work, foot controls where all bent out of shape, muffler had a lot of holes from rust and was badly dented. I knew 2 things where good, the headlight and the engine. I was familiar with the engine and it ran strong, I saw the bike days before the incident and that engine was running strong with no strange sounds or anything seeming out of place. While the bike didn’t stay on it would start for a few seconds, enough to know the engine more than likely doesn’t require a rebuild and was just tossed because they couldn’t Hotwire it.
Not in this particular order but I’ve done the following:
  • Replaced radiator
  • New fan switch
  • New thermostat
  • New silicone hoses
  • New oil filter and o rings
  • New magnetic oil drain bolt
  • New valve cover seals
  • Did valve adjustment
  • New spark plugs
  • Tested coils
  • New Emissions block off plate
  • Full carb rebuild
  • New carb hoses
  • New uni air filter
  • New engine mounts
  • New in line fuel filter
  • New fuel lines
  • Rebuilt petcock
  • Replaced all dampers and old cracking rubber parts Throughout the bike
  • New muffler
  • New rear sets
  • New sprockets
  • New to me rims and tires, Michelin pilot power RS 120/170
  • New chain
  • New front and rear disks
  • New front and rear master cylinders
  • All new steel braided lines
  • Rebuilt front and rear calipers
  • New sintered brake pads for front
  • New brake pads for rear
  • New handle bars
  • New grips
  • New control cables
  • New levers
  • Fully rebuilt forks
  • New 15wt fork oil
  • New pre load adjusters
  • New steering head roller bearings
  • New upper fairing bracket
  • New speedometer with mileage set correctly
  • New led bulbs for speedometer
  • I used Chinese ignition and original to make a Frankenstein ignition that should work
  • New side mirrors with integrated turn signals
  • New tail light with integrated turn signals
  • New hot bodies tail tidy
  • Replaced battery tray and any missing hardware
  • Aligned tires
I am now ready to top off fluids and turn it on, I am aware that I have to assess the state of the engine once running but I’m not too concerned, I might have to service clutch in near future but shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Once I have the carbs and everything tuned correctly I will have the seat reupholstered and will be ordering all new painted fairings. I should be finished with this project by February and hopefully have a reliable bike. I went cheap with allot of things so my cost so far without the original $400 investment is about $1287.32. So when all is said and done with cost of fairings I am looking at a grand total just south of $2500. I am extremely excited about test riding it soon, between running a business a wife 3 kids and a dog I’ve had trouble making time for this project.
I have tested all the controls and they feel smooth and precise, the steering feels smooth as butter, the braking system feels great, the front suspension feels pretty good. Im worried that I made a mistake and I’ll have to rebuild engine, i have experience rebuilding all sort of engines including jet engines so I’m pretty confident doing this type of work even though my last rebuild was in 2010. I have put it into gear and moved the wheel to turn engine and everything seems to be turning perfectly fine so I’m probably just being paranoid. I’m also worried about the possible sound from my $32 Amazon slip on muffler. Undecided on what color for the fairings. Any input from anyone on anything I should do or look out for as far as first start, break in procedure for brakes or even suggestion for the color Is appreciated. I might keep it all red, already has red accents on a few of the new parts, and of course in the spirit of being cheap I will avoid painting the tank. I have seen a black and red fairing kit I liked. I really like white and saw a white and red beet fairings kit, But not sure if I want it to look like I want to race everything. Also saw a green fairing kit which had a green tank cover, that would make my bike look like new.
Badapplesrepair is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 1st, 2022, 08:06 PM   #2
racered
ninjette.org member

Name: paul

Motorcycle(s): not enough

Let me say congrats and well done. I don't know if you have ridden your bike yet but I hope so. If not, why not?
Just do a thorough checkup on all the hardware to make sure there are no loose bolts and such. It happens!
That would be my break in advice for you.
It sounds like the motor is already well seasoned.
I'm curious what adjustments were needed if any for the valves.
Was the lash loose or tight or out of spec? Did you buy a shim kit, or was all well and no adjusting needed?
As far as color choice, do what YOU want then ride that thing, you won't be thinking about fashion or looks when you hit that perfect apex, just the next apex! Everything else is old oatmeal.
I recognize the effort required to take a neglected bike and bring it back to a safe and top performing machine
Let's hear some news about your results!
racered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2022, 11:53 AM   #3
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

WOW ! you've put alot of time and effort into that thing ! WELL DONE!
wait till you ride it and feel how it corners ! my little ninja corners better than anything else i have ever owned ! and I've had over 50~75 bikes in my time !
enjoy your completely new machine ! just be careful ! and keep your speed down, till you get to know her !
Bob.....

Old February 21st, 2022, 07:36 AM   #4
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racered View Post
Let me say congrats and well done. I don't know if you have ridden your bike yet but I hope so. If not, why not?
Just do a thorough checkup on all the hardware to make sure there are no loose bolts and such. It happens!
That would be my break in advice for you.
It sounds like the motor is already well seasoned.
I'm curious what adjustments were needed if any for the valves.
Was the lash loose or tight or out of spec? Did you buy a shim kit, or was all well and no adjusting needed?
As far as color choice, do what YOU want then ride that thing, you won't be thinking about fashion or looks when you hit that perfect apex, just the next apex! Everything else is old oatmeal.
I recognize the effort required to take a neglected bike and bring it back to a safe and top performing machine
Let's hear some news about your results!

Have not ridden it yet. I got quite busy in December all the way through the middle of January. I filled all the fluids and discovered a leak at one of the coolant pipes, ordered new O rings abut I got busy again. I installed the o ring a few weeks back but I’ve had nothing but hesitation on my part, mostly due to fear that the engine would blow up on me. I woke up with resolve and just fired it up this morning for the first time in 21 months. turned on easily, I felt incredibly relieved that it works. As far as the valve lash, all of the valves where out of spec, most of them had a gap between .003 and .006.

Old February 21st, 2022, 07:39 AM   #5
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
WOW ! you've put alot of time and effort into that thing ! WELL DONE!
wait till you ride it and feel how it corners ! my little ninja corners better than anything else i have ever owned ! and I've had over 50~75 bikes in my time !
enjoy your completely new machine ! just be careful ! and keep your speed down, till you get to know her !
Bob.....
Bob you have no idea how anxious I am to ride this thing, I walk by it on my way to my car every single day. The anticipation after all the work I’ve put into it is getting to me.

Old February 21st, 2022, 08:20 AM   #6
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

It turns on!

Took about 8 seconds of cranking for it to start. Turns on no problem, noticed a leak from another coolant pipe so I turned it off to avoid issues. So far everything appears to be running smoothly. Please watch video and comment, I appreciate any feedback, does engine sound ok?
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.60C62D3F-886D-4116-99EF-BDF3E21E0FA5.MOV (14.29 MB, 7 views)

Old March 3rd, 2022, 11:58 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Sounds good to me ! ride it for a short run without the fairings on it just to be sure you don't have to take them off again (their a pain !)
the coolant will drip from the over flow vent if you put in too much coolant
it's not a concern just keep an eye on the coolant tank and make sure you keep it at least 1/2 full. if it drops during riding then you have a problem.
Bob......

Old March 3rd, 2022, 10:10 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Woohoo!!! Awesome job on that massive repair list! Wow!!!

It's so amazing to bring these fun bikes back from brink!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2022, 06:40 PM   #9
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Woohoo!!! Awesome job on that massive repair list! Wow!!!

It's so amazing to bring these fun bikes back from brink!
Thanks for the good vibes. I know you have allot of experience with these bikes so I have a question for you. I am concerned about some unusual noise coming from under the valve cover, I took a video and showed it to a mechanic. I don’t know how well experienced he is but I just finished repairing a Dynojet dynamometer for him as he builds race bikes so I’m assuming he knows what he is talking about. He told me it sounded like I have air inside the oil pump, asked if I primed it and I obviously said no, he says I have to remove external oil line unplug the spark plugs and crank engine until I get oil coming out. I tried looking this up but found only info about doing this on the bigger Kawasaki engines like the zx6rs. The oil light is not on, do you have experience priming the oil pump to remove air bubbles? If so I could really use a hand with this.

Old April 15th, 2022, 06:02 PM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

i HAVE never HEARD of having to prime the ninja's oil pump I think the guy is referring to the other bigger bikes.... your bike sounds good make sure theirs oil and coolant in it and give it a test run
can you take a video of where the funny sound is coming from and an audio of it too.... Maybe Danno can identify the problem but to me the bike sounded great !
did you tighten the cam chain ?
Bob....