ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 1st, 2022, 09:50 PM   #1
sumbee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sum

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 Track Bike

Which Ninja 250R Racing Cam Shaft?

Hi,

I am looking for some thoughts from people who have direct experience and/or can share someone else's experience with a Ninja 250r Racing Cam Shafts.

I have been searching high and low for reviews on the three different racing cam shafts for a 2008+ Ninja 250R, but I can't find anything helpful for deciding which one to buy. I tried Hot Cams Stage 1, but I am not happy with the results. Well, I liked the smoother throttle response throughout the rev curve/band, but I feel I lost too much top end. Actually, I was going to buy the Hot Cams stage 2 intake but they stopped selling them in North America, so I was stuck with the stage 1 setup.

Anyway, I have been considering the 250R Camshaft sets from Spears Racing, Web Camshafts, and Daniel Crower Racing.

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/pr...fts-2008-2012/

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_ve...saki/2395.html

https://danielcrowerracing.com/i-593...t-2008-20.html

Web and Crower advertise similar specs. I asked Spears, but they will not tell me the specs of their cam shaft set. My guess it is secret to people like me, not in the know, but for other people with a lot of connections in the racing realm, I suspect people know if Spears is worth $200+

Anyway, I would really appreciate experiences from people utilizing them in their bikes, especially for racing bikes that typically have a lot of applicable mods.

Cheers,
sumbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2022, 12:03 AM   #2
sumbee
ninjette.org newbie

Thoughts and experiences on racing cams appreciated.

I am looking for some thoughts from people who have direct experience and/or can share someone else's experience with a Ninja 250r Racing Cam Shafts.

I have been searching high and low for reviews on the three different racing cam shafts for a 2008+ Ninja 250R, but I can't find anything helpful for deciding which one to buy. I tried Hot Cams Stage 1, but I am not happy with the results. Well, I liked the smoother throttle response throughout the rev curve/band, but I feel I lost too much top end. Actually, I was going to buy the Hot Cams stage 2 intake but they stopped selling them in North America, so I was stuck with the stage 1 setup.

Anyway, I have been considering the 250R Camshaft sets from Spears Racing, Web Camshafts, and Daniel Crower Racing.

https://www.spearsenterprises.com/pr...fts-2008-2012/

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages_ve...saki/2395.html

https://danielcrowerracing.com/i-593...t-2008-20.html

Web and Crower advertise similar specs. I asked Spears, but they will not tell me the specs of their cam shaft set. My guess it is secret to people like me, not in the know, but for other people with a lot of connections in the racing realm, I suspect people know if Spears is worth $200+

Anyway, I would really appreciate experiences from people utilizing them in their bikes, especially for racing bikes that typically have a lot of applicable mods.

Cheers,

Old January 2nd, 2022, 05:44 PM   #3
sumbee
ninjette.org newbie

Aftermarket CamShaft Questions

Hi,

Cheers,

Old January 3rd, 2022, 01:50 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2022, 05:50 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbee View Post
I asked Spears, but they will not tell me the specs of their cam shaft set.
Ha, you have to buy it to find out what the lobe profiles are? I'm surprised anyone would do that.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2022, 08:44 AM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Cams are NOT drop-in plug-n-play upgrade. Avoid Web Cams, I have yet to receive a cam from them in past 30-yrs where any 2 lobes actually had same profile or timing. Best bet is custom cam from Dima Elgin (not other copycat Elgin Ind).

You need adjustable cam-gears and degree-wheel to determine lobe-profiles and actual lobe-centre timing

Finally need lots of dyno-tuning to make any of those cams work.

Only for race-bikes as hotter cams will only provide HP gains in narrow 10-13K rpm range with loss of TQ everywhere else. And that's only after you've dialed them in on dyno. Otherwise, you'll have losses everywhere
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 3rd, 2022, 01:49 PM   #7
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Cams are NOT drop-in plug-n-play upgrade. Avoid Web Cams, I have yet to receive a cam from them in past 30-yrs where any 2 lobes actually had same profile or timing. Best bet is custom cam from Dima Elgin (not other copycat Elgin Ind).

You need adjustable cam-gears and degree-wheel to determine lobe-profiles and actual lobe-centre timing

Finally need lots of dyno-tuning to make any of those cams work.

Only for race-bikes as hotter cams will only provide HP gains in narrow 10-13K rpm range with loss of TQ everywhere else. And that's only after you've dialed them in on dyno. Otherwise, you'll have losses everywhere
I agree I'm not a big fan of Web Cam to me there more of a stock replacement I perfer Hot Cam or Early Honda Powroll Cam like I had on my 72 SL 100 stage 3 cam with big valve and stroker crank push 20hp with everything under the sun she was fast even in 71 CB100 in tell it got stolen, oh in case you didn't know Powroll did high output 150cc 4-stroke to run in 85cc class 2-stroke now known as Honda CRF150R
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2022, 02:18 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Alternative is to compare specs between new-gen '88-93 vs. pre-gen cams. Earlier bikes definitely had 2T-like upper-end hit with lazy bottom end.

Has anyone ever retrofitted pre-gen heads on new-gen engine to get higher-compression along with hotter cams??

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; January 3rd, 2022 at 04:25 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2022, 02:19 PM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If I was going with a race cam, it would be from Spears.

They have a proven track record and know the Ninja best.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2022, 04:24 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If I was going with a race cam, it would be from Spears.

They have a proven track record and know the Ninja best.
Yup, they've got tonnes of experience on 250s from decades of testing, trial & error. Best deal in off-the-shelf upgrade parts. Not to mention they're one of my sponsors and every part and service I've gotten from them is top-notch!

Old January 4th, 2022, 07:36 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yup, they've got tonnes of experience on 250s from decades of testing, trial & error. Best deal in off-the-shelf upgrade parts. Not to mention they're one of my sponsors and every part and service I've gotten from them is top-notch!
I had contacted them with some questions about a product, and they got back to me right away with helpful info.

I'd definitely go with them for any R3 or Ninja race parts.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote