ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

View Poll Results: How long after you got the bike did you drop/crash it?
within the first week 174 18.16%
within the first month 179 18.68%
within 6 months 201 20.98%
within the first year 66 6.89%
within the first five years 40 4.18%
I crashed after 5 years of owning my ninjette 5 0.52%
I've never dropped it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 293 30.58%
Voters: 958. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #121
BlueThunder18
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

10+ year old polishing compund I used to use on my cars, and a little Mother's Spray on Wax. The scratches still show a little more than they do in that pic, but compared to what they looked like when I first got up it's pretty decent. I also think I could probably buff them a little more when I have more time...I decided to ride to work so I had to get moving since I like to take the back roads from Ossining, NY to Stamford, CT to avoid I-287 and I-95.
BlueThunder18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #122
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 250r blue :D Cbr600rr Phoenix

I 1st drop my ninja on the fwy when had to brake really hard due to traffic and i lock my wheels. i skid fine but my steering colum wast straight so i tip over on the left and broke my signal light but my fender wasnt scratch up too bad. yesterday however i make a turn, hit water and i throttled it and slip and fell pretty hard on the right and my right side is all scratched up. and i have a hole on the right along with scratched exhaust and rear brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
vietboiz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #123
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Not the Ninjette but my ZX :-(

Pics in my siggy
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #124
kkim

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #125
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

LOL! Did you bump this just for me, Kelly?

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #126
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
LOL! Did you bump this just for me, Kelly?
no, not really... you have enough on your plate as is. sorry to hear you've added another.

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #127
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I've had my bike for about 3 months now with 2000 miles and luckily, knock on wood, haven't dropped it or crashed yet. I've come close to dropping it once running over a big rock in my drive way! Stupid rock!
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #128
kkim

Mike, look at the poll results. Seems like if you make it past the first year, your chances of dropping it are reduced significantly, so until then, keep a close eye on that rock... they're speedy little devils.

Old October 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM   #129
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
no, not really... you have enough on your plate as is. sorry to hear you've added another.

Lol! Well, hopefully the old adage of things coming in threes will hold up. I've had my 3! My Lil' Ninj was the 3rd.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:34 AM   #130
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I'm afraid to even reply on this post for fear that I'd jinx myself...
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:06 PM   #131
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Sadly mine was drooped this week. Nice crack on the right fairing /cry
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM   #132
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/bumped and /moved to riding skills area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #133
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Lowsided on 12-20-2010 at around 30-35mph in a sharp winding onramp. I wasn't injured, but there was about $270 out of my pocket to the bike. This does not include the exhaust since I already had an aftermarket one coming in the mail, or the rash since I was already planning to repaint the bike anyways. Had about 5700 miles on it after about 6.5 months of riding.

Other damage included a broken right mirror, bent handlebar, broken windscreen, cracked right rear fairing, broken off choke lever (I know... wtf?) and broken right footpeg. The rear brake lever is a little ground down on the tip, but whatevs. The front brake lever was bent a little bit, but some more bending fixed that.

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; January 3rd, 2011 at 09:30 AM.
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM   #134
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

I had a 0 mph drop on my third ride around my neighborhood when I had a total of about 2 miles of motorcycling under my belt. It broke the right turn signal, bent the brake lever, and put a tiny scratch on the muffler. I replaced the broken parts and have had no trouble since then (~6 months/800 miles). I am a big scaredy-cat so I ride really conservatively. I get passed by Hyundais and old pickup trucks, but I don't care. Under my helmet is a big smile.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #135
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

My first 2009 I had it for 5 days and I just hit 960ish km and I had my accident. Rider error? Nope. Faulty motorcycle? Nope.

I was dark and it had just finished raining. 4 lane road with a centermedian. No cars ahead of me...no cars behind. I'm scanning...out of nowhere 15 to 20 feet <-FEET in front of me I see coming from right to left (Japan drives on the left side of the road) a bumper.....a side door....it's a van!!! BAM! Flying...I'm flying...I hit the road...I'm unconscious...I'm awake...I'm sliding...I'm unconscious again...BAM I hit the centermedian with my head and I'm awake.

Long story short...nothing I could have done to prevent this but I did everything right to help lessen the damage...before even getting on the motorcycle..during the accident and after the accident.

Helmets don't have to be expensive to save your life, they just need to be DOT approved and a personal preferrence of mine that they also be SNELL approved. And if you're interested...yes, I walk like Dr. House now with a nice limp, lots of physical therapy, nasty scars, broken bones and arthritis because of a driver THAT DID AN ILLEGAL U-TURN AT NIGHT WITH NO FREAKIN HEADLIGHTS ON!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 433.jpg (174.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 435.jpg (99.7 KB, 8 views)
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #136
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Glad you walked away for the most part - it's a shame how others drive.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #137
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Glad to here your alive, how fast were you going? just curious.

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #138
SaintJPN
ninjette.org member

Name: Saint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 KAW Ninja250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Glad to here your alive, how fast were you going? just curious.
Before I saw the van I was doing 50kph in a 60kph zone and I used engine braking (ninja 250's engine braking is really strong) so probably about 42kph. I ended up hitting the the rear left corner of the van with the front of my bike (slightly left side of the front) at about a 1:30 o'clock angle and smashed my whole left left between the van and my bike. Then it spit me out and I was flying like superman with no cape.
SaintJPN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #139
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJPN View Post
Before I saw the van I was doing 50kph in a 60kph zone and I used engine braking (ninja 250's engine braking is really strong) so probably about 42kph. I ended up hitting the the rear left corner of the van with the front of my bike (slightly left side of the front) at about a 1:30 o'clock angle and smashed my whole left left between the van and my bike. Then it spit me out and I was flying like superman with no cape.
Ouch, sounds even worse now. Good luck with the recovery.

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #140
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCromwell View Post
I'm afraid to even reply on this post for fear that I'd jinx myself...
lol you just did

Old February 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #141
onizthegnome
certified newbie

Name: oniz

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r blue

i was letting my gf practice the clutch and brakes a week ago. she went from neutral to first without holding the clutch in and it lurched out of her hands. her legs werent long enough, she was tip toeing and her foot wasnt planted so it fell over to the right. this was at 0mph, the front turn signal got punched in but no signs of scratches at all.

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #142
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

as bad as it sounds its relieving to know other people have dropped their bikes in the first week
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #143
Lou
ninjette.org member

Name: LOU

Motorcycle(s): GreenSE 09 250R

Droped mine in January. Went with a friend to the hospital to visit his sis at night. I hadnt payed attention to the floor where i stoped in the parking lot and when i shifted my weight to the right (i cant put both feet flat down on the bike) to check behind me i found out that i was next to a hole. :/ Tiped over slow motion and ended up pushing my turn signal into the fender :'(
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 05:07 AM   #144
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

After my initial drop at 0mph when I had less than 5 miles of riding under my belt, I have logged about 1000 miles without any incidents. I'm still a n00b but feel pretty comfortable on the bike now.

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:16 AM   #145
Timon
ninjette.org member

Name: Timon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250R

Unfortunately within the first few weeks of owning my bike it dropped itself, more than likely due to my error. I was retrofitting mirrors with the bike in the garage, due to the weather at the time I was doing the work inside and going in and out for test fitments.

I mounted a mirror, got on the bike to test it, and when getting off I must have not properly put the weight on the kick stand. I came back out about 10 minutes later to see the bike tipped on it's side. Luckily my heavy duty plastic Craftsman toolbox took the brunt of the damage and prevented it from hitting concrete at the cost of a crack in my fairing.

The lucky part of this story is the bike, tipped over in the garage, happened to miss the customized '99 Harley Electriglide that was parked right next to it. My rear tire missed it by merely inches.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM   #146
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
My dad dropped it in the garage last summer when trying to get the wheel barrow out and bent my brake lever; 2 months after I bought it.

new rule, Chris is the only one who touches the bike.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #147
infinitethrill
forever a n00b

Name: Billy

Motorcycle(s): 08 ex250J, 78 GL1000, 01 ex250f, 99 VFR800FI

So... I have dropped my bike three times. I got it in late January and it is Late April now, so I have had it about 3 months. Have put 5000 miles on it (10 minute commute to work, but whenever I have a chance I go out exploring wherever I can).

#1- day 8 with the bike, riding ~15mph in residential. Still learning the controls at the time and pressed a bit too hard on the rear brake. Tire locked and skidded just a bit, okay. I used to take bicycles with my little brothers and go as fast as possible and skid just to see how long I could. So, I speed up just a little bit more ~25 and try again. Rear slides way too far out to the left, I stop braking and it snaps back and throws me off. . I stand up totally fine besides a scuff on my glove, but now the brand new (well, third owner but still) bike is crashed. I bent the handlebar, broke the bracket that holds the rear brake and peg, and punched/scratched/cracked the main fairing. Ordered handlebar and bracket online.

#2- about a month into riding, was on lunch break at work so was going to get food a mile down the street. leave the parking lot and go to the main street and slow down for the first stop sign. I am going a bit quickly I admit, anyway I downshifted into first at the stop and let go of the clutch too fast. See where this is going? Anyway, I ended up sitting on top of the bike, dropped on the CLEAN side, right at the stop. Pick it up again, this time just a small crack and a bent shift lever (I bent it back and all is good).

#3- after 3 months, had been off the bike for 5 days and had just gotten back from a long trip. Get in the door, get on the bike and go out for a quick ride around for a bit. Turn left, go down the main street about a quarter mile, and prep for the first right turn of the day. Take the corner at normal/high speed (yes my fault), and as I start to lean over the tires slid right out from under me. I dont know which went first but it just dropped down. Familiar crash and scraping noise, lots of sparks, lots of cursing (I had just finished patching up the fairing from the first crash). I got a tad bit of rash on my ass from the impact (it was under several layers, but still). Jacket really saved me here, it held up fine. Bike however slid up and onto the center divider, breaking the buddy peg/exhaust holder, rear brake lamp, scratched clutch cover, broke brand new brake lever, pretty bashed up fairing, and messed up adjuster on the end of the swingarm. I shouldn't of taken a turn like that with cold tires. Wasn't immediately thinking of that though at the moment.

This is really becoming discouraging. Since #3, I have been a different rider (much slower, which is a good thing). I would really only push the bike out in the canyons. Never aggressive with any cars around before however. I now have a quite large repair list, and it sucks because I had nearly just finished fixing everything. I guess I am writing this to vent and get it out. Any tips or advice? I still have the tires that came with the bike, and the rear would have to be replaced soon I would say, but could that be affecting this stuff? Or do I just suck at this? I took the MSF course, but the most I feel I got out of that was learning basic riding, low speed maneuvering and swerving really.

I am hoping I will get back the joy of riding, but most all of that was lost after #3. Don't know why it was different, perhaps it was my injury (even if not major), but the fact that my bike is now really messed up and I am a long way off from fixing it. And what if this happens again? I am in no way considering giving up riding however. Anyway thats my story...
infinitethrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #148
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

sadly i get to post here because i just dropped my bike. Forgot to put my kickstand down when i got home. I put the bike in neutral and got off and down she went. Barely scuffed it, as i caught it once i noticed how retarded i was. Looks like a couple rocks hit the decals on the bike, still mad i was so dumb though.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #149
11special
ninjette.org newbie

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Went down sunday, rode exactly 30 days. Tire shine will kill you. Er was not fun.
11special is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #150
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11special View Post
Went down sunday, rode exactly 30 days. Tire shine will kill you. Er was not fun.
any type of rubber protectorant on motorcycle tires is a big...

Old May 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #151
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

I never dropped my 250R, but i did Drop (stand still while 2UP) on my Ninja 650R. 3-4 weeks after i bought the 650R.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #152
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

I haven't dropped my ninjette ever. But for some reason I've been waiting to answer this poll...It's been about 2 months since I got it, so maybe I'll answer it soon lol.
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #153
money
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Dropped it the 2nd day I had it. I rode 45 miles home through highway and city traffic with no problems. After I got home I decided to go back out and get some gas about 3 miles up the road. As I was pulling out of the gas station I stopped on a downward incline and my momentum carried the bike in a direction I couldn't brace with my foot. It fell over and broke the front right blinker.

Strangely enough I feel so much better now after dropping it,

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #154
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

I droped mine a few months ago. I wasn't even on it. lol I was putting it on the rear stand to lube the chain and it got away from me falling on my father in laws bike..Opps. That was with in the 1st year of me riding.

Old May 30th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #155
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
well i saw this thread so i figure i should update my response. the 2 bikes have been dropped a total of 3 times. 1st time on the ninja i was a big noob and target fixed on a large rock in the middle of the road, hit it and drifted off. no damage to me, lucky it didn't go down but it needed a new front wheel, body work, exhaust, and a few other bits. second drop wasn't nearly as much damage to the bike but more to me. was making a left in a double turn, woman in front on the left got cut off so she decided to swerve into me. tried to brake but locked both wheels. even if i didn't lock there was no avoiding it with a big wall to the right. she hit the front wheel and head and it dropped to the right and spun away... was doing about 20-25mph. full gear, leather up top but still got rashed underneath all along my right side. new front fender, signals, right bar and lever, and a repaired right rear peg. she ran and i didn't get her plate. third drop was while i was working on the fizzer... set it down on the kickstand which i didn't know was broken at the time, started to get off and the kickstand went forward and it dropped on my right leg... almost kept it up but it was just too top heavy... almost no damage outside of a scraped up (BRAND NEW, just replaced, DAMNIT!) stator cover. left me with nice bruises along my leg and a few small scrapes. i'm sure there will be more, best you can do is prepare for it and take every precaution you can.

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:30 AM   #156
Live2ride

I almost crashed into two idiotic bicyclists yesterday morning. I was riding to work I began turning onto the road that leads straight to work (25mph) from a 45mph road. As I approach the midpoint of the turn (blind turn), I find two bicyclists sitting in the middle of my lane at an angle that manages to cover the entire lane. Luckily, that day I took the turn much slower than normal and managed to swerve around them, entering the opposing lane of traffic (no oncoming cars) and returning to mine soon after. I couldn't imagine a logical reason why the two cyclists were stopped, covering the entire lane, on a blind corner. The reason I generally have to take the turn faster is because people on the 45mph tend to tailgate the hell out of me whether in a car or on my bike .

Old May 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM   #157
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

The jump from 1 month to 6 months is too big of a gap, can we add 'first 3 months'?

I'm just under 2 months.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:11 AM   #158
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I crashed my first or second week. I think it was my 5th day riding, but my first day on the freeway. I had commuted to work and back home on the freeway with no problems. I was feeling good and went to the bank. On the way back home, I had to make a left turn and went in too hot. I hit the turn signal island which caused somewhat of a high side. My front wheel clipped the island and even though I was leaned left, it flipped me on the right side. I think part of it was because I became fixated on the island and not thinking that I should lean more. Complete rider error on my part. Since then, I've been much better about gauging entry speed, but not perfect.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:33 AM   #159
shiroganeshinobi
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Within the first month of getting the bike last year, I was in my driveway practicing going uphill from a stop. My clutch control was weak so during one lurch I grabbed front brake without being centered. The bike stopped and then it fell gently to the right side with me trying desperately not to lay down the bike.

The side blinker bent to the side and go scratched as well as a small scratch on the side to the tribal sticker and to the stock pipe. You really couldn't tell if it was dropped but I knew it was, in my heart. It was really embarrassing.
shiroganeshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #160
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Dropped mine the 2nd day I had it while unloading it from the trailer. :dumbass:

cracked the right fairing pretty bad and snapped the clear plastic off the right blinker. I used some generic cement and a new screw to put the blinker back together. I followed the fairing repair DIY and got pretty good results. It's a good 15 foot repair. I'll replace the fairing later when I'm positive I won't drop it again.

I almost dropped it 2 weeks ago at an intersection when I stood up to...ahem...adjust myself.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote