ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old April 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Bolt "spacers?"

I'm using 80mm long bolts where my 10x1.25 rear spools once installed so that I can still get the bike on a stand with my Sportisi swingarm cover installed. The heads are wider than the spools which makes it the perfect length, but I need some kind of thin tubular spacer to hold them away from the swingarm/cover.

Nuts will not work because they are too thick and will interfere with the swingarm cover. Any washers thin enough would need to be stacked in a ridiculous amount. So, where can I find 11or 12mm diameter tube/piping of various lengths to make a spacer? I need about an inch, IIRC. When I bought the bolt hardware at The Home Depot, the Hardware guys suggested that I check in plumbing. They couldn't help me there. I checked the section for electrical conduits as well and came up empty.

TheDuck used something similar to mount his slightly relocated battery box on his SV650 at the end of this video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you considered rubber hose?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Have you considered rubber hose?
Ah! Thanks. Any idea where to look for something in black that's thick, stiff, and flexible enough to fit tightly (hurr hurr hurr-that's what she said)?

I just kept thinking about a smaller version that pipe that people use to protect the threaded bar in the home-made tire changing station when they are using their No-marr bar.

Old April 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Ah! Thanks. Any idea where to look for something in black that's thick, stiff, and flexible enough to fit tightly (hurr hurr hurr-that's what she said)?

I just kept thinking about a smaller version that pipe that people use to protect the threaded bar in the home-made tire changing station when they are using their No-marr bar.
\

About 1/2" I.D hose from an auto parts store should work.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #5
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Quote:
I'm using 80mm long bolts where my 10x1.25 rear spools once installed so that I can still get the bike on a stand with my Sportisi swingarm cover installed. The heads are wider than the spools which makes it the perfect length, but I need some kind of thin tubular spacer to hold them away from the swingarm/cover.

Nuts will not work because they are too thick and will interfere with the swingarm cover. Any washers thin enough would need to be stacked in a ridiculous amount. So, where can I find 11or 12mm diameter tube/piping of various lengths to make a spacer? I need about an inch, IIRC. When I bought the bolt hardware at The Home Depot, the Hardware guys suggested that I check in plumbing. They couldn't help me there. I checked the section for electrical conduits as well and came up empty.

TheDuck used something similar to mount his slightly relocated battery box on his SV650 at the end of this video:

Link to original page on YouTube.

This what I've done after aweek searching for the spacer. I went to ACE hard ware and bought the big #80 roller link(part #:778003),it cost$3.69. Then use big hammer to take it apart and you'll have 2 part with red arrow as heavy duty stanless steell spacer and I changed my original bolt that came with spool to 50mmx10x1.25.They fit perfect.Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_resize.jpg (8.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image_2.jpg (17.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0419012310.jpg (22.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0419012311.jpg (28.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 0419012311a.jpg (31.7 KB, 1 views)

Last futzed with by vnranger; April 19th, 2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Add price
vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnranger View Post
This what I've done after aweek searching for the spacer. I went to ACE hard ware and bought the big #80 roller link(part #:778003),it cost$3.69. Then use big hammer to take it apart and you'll have 2 part with red arrow as heavy duty stanless steell spacer and I changed my original bolt that came with spool to 50mmx10x1.25.They fit perfect.Good luck
here is what it look on the bike,sorry for bad quality pics because I took them with my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0419012357.jpg (33.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0419012359.jpg (46.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 0420010000.jpg (53.3 KB, 3 views)

Old April 20th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
here is what it look on the bike,sorry for bad quality pics because I took them with my phone
Awesome! I assume you got the bolt at Ace too? They didn't have the right kind at Home Depot so my current bolts no longer fit inside my slider spools (big six-sided head for a standard wrench/socket) but they work in the mean time.

Old April 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #8
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Awesome! I assume you got the bolt at Ace too? They didn't have the right kind at Home Depot so my current bolts no longer fit inside my slider spools (big six-sided head for a standard wrench/socket) but they work in the mean time.
I bought them from Ebay. Here is new link to that seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALLEN...item3366eefcab

Seller ID is: mecanik2000

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, I bought spacers that didn't fit so I couldn't tighten them down all the way and I ended up losing one... I think. I may have absent-mindedly put ONE in the tool box and left the other installed, but it was almost gone too (loose), so I'm pretty sure I lost it. Oh well.

Old May 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #10
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Just so you know as a rule, thread engagement should always be the diameter of the bolt at the very minimum, preferably 1.5x. So if it's a 6m, you'd want to thread it into the hole 6-9mm at least
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #11
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Just so you know as a rule, thread engagement should always be the diameter of the bolt at the very minimum, preferably 1.5x. So if it's a 6m, you'd want to thread it into the hole 6-9mm at least
Thanks for the info ,never know about this rules.Lucky that I bought the right bolt,just measured and mine is 27mm into the hole

Last futzed with by vnranger; May 9th, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: add info

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #12
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Well, I bought spacers that didn't fit so I couldn't tighten them down all the way and I ended up losing one... I think. I may have absent-mindedly put ONE in the tool box and left the other installed, but it was almost gone too (loose), so I'm pretty sure I lost it. Oh well.
I have 4 aluminum extra spacers(made by my friend,he owns a machine shop) and I think they're same size as those 2 on my bike.If you need them ,just PM,I'll send it to you for free.

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

ACE hardware I think has bearings and spacers. Orchard Supply Hardware also has a bunch of rubber/plastic/metal bearings and spacers. I'm sure one of those would work. Otherwise, I've seen many different diameters of steel tubing at home depot and other hardware stores that you could cut to length.

The chain roller link is a great idea though. Kudos to thinking outside of the box.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #14
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
ACE hardware I think has bearings and spacers. Orchard Supply Hardware also has a bunch of rubber/plastic/metal bearings and spacers. I'm sure one of those would work. Otherwise, I've seen many different diameters of steel tubing at home depot and other hardware stores that you could cut to length.

The chain roller link is a great idea though. Kudos to thinking outside of the box.
I've tried 5 ACE stores in my area and could't find any thing that fit,they have some copper bearing but way too expensive(about $10 something each) so ended up with that chain link.
Happy to know a Sanjose rider>.I've lived in San jose for 20 years (Piedmont rd and Cropley Ave),just moved up here 3 years ago(because of my job) still miss sanjose alot

Old May 9th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #15
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Here are pics of spacers,I've measured and the lenght of spacer is 18mm
Let me know if you need them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0509012336.jpg (56.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 0509012336a.jpg (52.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 0509012342.jpg (53.9 KB, 0 views)

Old May 11th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #16
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Thanks! I won't know until I get new spools after my mishap.

Old May 11th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #17
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Have you looked at shoulder bolts?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=c9atqe
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #18
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Thanks! I won't know until I get new spools after my mishap.
No problem, I won't throw them away so good luck withyour new spool, then if you need them,just let me know.

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #19
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Have you looked at shoulder bolts?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#shoulder-screws/=c9atqe
problem is shoulder dia. is bigger than thread dia. I tried to put in oder bolt with shoulder dia. 10mm and they show thread size just M8.

Old May 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #20
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
I've tried 5 ACE stores in my area and could't find any thing that fit,they have some copper bearing but way too expensive(about $10 something each) so ended up with that chain link.
Happy to know a Sanjose rider>.I've lived in San jose for 20 years (Piedmont rd and Cropley Ave),just moved up here 3 years ago(because of my job) still miss sanjose alot
Wow, that's north san jose, I live so far south that I can probably get to morgan hill faster than I can get to the airport.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote