ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

Can I need to cut/break my chain to replace the sprockets

I've got a 2009 and its time to put on a new chain. It got rusty this winter, and life has been getting in the way of me getting back to where its stored and replacing it. I've lived like a nomad for a long time and dont' own a lot of tools, so I was hoping to replace the chain which seems fairly simple. Just cut/break the old one, tighten up the rear wheel, put on the chain and adjust the wheel. I've watched The Ducks video about 5 times so far just trying to feel comfortable with doing this myself.

My question is, if I replace the chain now because I have the required stuff to do that already, then ride to my friends garage to replace my sprockets, will I have to cut/break the masterlink, or will the chain come off the sprockets just by adjusting the rear tire? Either way not riding this season is driving me crazy and I have to get it running!

On a side note I got 15/45 sprockets, so I'm eager to see how that handles on my highway commute
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Even if you loosen the rear tire and get enough play to get chain off sprocket you would have to remove rear wheel completely and anything else that is going to get in the way of sliding it off that side of the swing arm if it is even possible, can't get a good mental image of the chain guide's or anything, i just know it is not an option on my dirtbikes chain must be taken apart, its just easier anyway, i haven't changed my chain on ninja yet but soon.

Buy a chain breaker, remove master link clip, use chain breaker to push master link out if necessary, separating the chain at the master link allowing you to just remove the old chain.
Put new chain on, use chain breaker to get chain to usable length by removing links as needed. Once at usable length put chain together with master link and clip, adjust chain tension like normal.

Repeat to take new chain off, when separating the chain at the master link it should not have a bad effect on the chain as the master link is not riveted together like other links, hence the clip holds it together.

If i were you i would just do it all at once. I always do chain and sprockets together regardless of ones wear vs the other.

JMO

P.S. good luck with the stupid clip, some go on easy, others make you work for it. I recently changed sprockets and chain on my wifes KLX 125 and it took me an hour to get the damn clip on, it was just a tight space, did not have any good pliers, vise grips, was a complete PITA!!

and some people like to put a little safety wire around the clip and the side of the master link to help ensure it stays put, which is never a bad idea.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM   #3
r6boater
ninjette.org member

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): '04 R1 and '08 Ninja 250

You can remove the rear wheel to change the reat sprocket without taking the chain apart. Once the axle is out, the entire wheel will move forward allowing enough slack to get the chain off the sprocket.

BUT, if you are changing the front sprocket- loosen it first while the chain is over both the rear and front sprocket and you have the rear brake mashed. This will prevent the torque of breaking the nut on the front sprocket loose off of your transmission. An impact is REALLY handy for this too.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Jred
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): Several

Use a grinder, it is much easier.
Jred is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

My first message was typed in a hurry on my lunch break. Thanks for the responses, but I feel like I need to clarify my situation.

I have new sprockets, and a new chain to put on the bike. I don't feel safe riding it with the current condition of the chain, so I was wanting to replace the chain first, and then ride to a friends garage to change the sprockets. I was concerned that If I did that I would have to break the newly installed chain in order to get to the sprockets.

However...

... I am a moron. I've been second guessing myself so much with this project I forgot what I'd seen several times with my own eyes from the Duck Video I linked. He does indeed remove the rear wheel without taking off or breaking the chain. Meaning I don't have to worry about taking apart the chain that I would have theoretically just put together

Again thanks guys. Cross your fingers for me!

Old July 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisthem488 View Post
My first message was typed in a hurry on my lunch break. Thanks for the responses, but I feel like I need to clarify my situation.

I have new sprockets, and a new chain to put on the bike. I don't feel safe riding it with the current condition of the chain, so I was wanting to replace the chain first, and then ride to a friends garage to change the sprockets. I was concerned that If I did that I would have to break the newly installed chain in order to get to the sprockets.

However...

... I am a moron. I've been second guessing myself so much with this project I forgot what I'd seen several times with my own eyes from the Duck Video I linked. He does indeed remove the rear wheel without taking off or breaking the chain. Meaning I don't have to worry about taking apart the chain that I would have theoretically just put together

Again thanks guys. Cross your fingers for me!

All fine and good IF!!! when you change the sprockets (different # teeth) you are not left with to much play in the chain that the tension adjustment can't compensate for it. In that case you are going to have to break the chain at the master link (again not a problem, it is meant to come apart) but then remove a link with chain breaker to make chain small enough for new sprockets)

Good luck
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Thanks! You all rock.