ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 28th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Dhillon92
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dhillon

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Can't have throttle wide open when riding

Hey guys, first post, been a reader for a while, decided to finally make an account! I have a 08 Ninja 250R, it was left outside in the rain for about 3 days by my brother while I was out of town. As I got on to ride it yesterday, it seems to make this hissing sound that I haven't heard before, but maybe it's just my mind playing tricks. It also won't go past around 8k rpm while I'm driving it, it revs up all the way when it is in neutral. Any gear, when I decide to open the throttle full, it seems to choke and jerk, so I just shift the gears in the smaller rpms now. Looking to take it to a mechanic in a few days, was hoping I can get some help from here and save some money and fix the problem myself. I ran some seafoam through after winter and it has been running fine since, carbs have not been cleaned by me (I've owned it for 1 year now) and air filter and spark plugs were replaced as well by me. Also, after the choking, I decided to pop the air filter out to see if anything was out of the normal, and I noticed some oil on it on the lower half, and I suppose a mixture of fuel as well, since I could smell it off the filter.

If anyone can enlighten me on what can be wrong and where I should start to look for problems, that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Dhillon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Sorry, but I have no idea (not mechanically inlcinded) but I'm sure someone will have a good answer. Go make a 'new member' post. Welcome! Good luck!!

Old June 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Dhillon92
ninjette.org newbie

Already made one and thanks for the welcome!

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #4
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92 View Post
....If anyone can enlighten me on what can be wrong and where I should start to look for problems, that would be awesome!
Read these, they should help with your problem

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...1&postcount=15
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...7&postcount=17
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=19
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...2&postcount=25

Also read the Gunny Bear Story. It's funny.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 05:37 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
....Sorry, but I have no idea (not mechanically inlcinded)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Can't tell if your insulting me or not haha

Old June 29th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

hmmm, I'm not far from you (scarborough), I can ride up tomorrow or canada day and help take a look at it with you.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

It's a trap!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Dhillon92
ninjette.org newbie

Hey guys, have been trying to figure out the problem, still no luck, I'm not sure if there is an unusual sound coming from the bike or if I'm just tripping about it, but it sounds almost like a vaccum leak or some kind of pressure being released. It might just be a normal sound that I just didn't think about before. I've seafoamed it since it was the first and easiest thing I could do, still no luck. I've checked the air filter and it looked pretty normal to me. I did seem to find a piece of what looks like the bottom corner of a lighter, I don't usually keep lighters in the seat compartment but I have on the odd occasions and perhaps it fell through and got stuck somewhere?(Well it does look like it blew up) Not sure how it could have ended up next to the air filter. I've never drained a gas tank before so I'm not too favourable towards doing that, I don't think it is the issue, I can go up rpms but as soon as I'm required to WOT, it bogs and feels like its stalling.

Thanks for the ideas so far, any other things I can try to do before draining the gas tank?

-Thanks

Old July 5th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Dhillon92
ninjette.org newbie

Nevermind! There was a lighter stuck in my snorkel -_-, I removed it and now it runs like a champ!! Thanks for the ideas guys, and that gummy bear story was funny but also the most effective advice LOL.

Thanks again