ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 9th, 2013, 02:32 AM   #1
tmf1423
ninjette.org member

Name: Harry

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

High engine temperature

Hi,

Had a search in this forum already but haven't found anything that directly matches my problem.
I've got a 2012 ninja, the fuel injected model.
Basically round town riding, anything over about 45 minutes, the engine temperature seems to be getting VERY hot, extremely close to the red warning line on the gauge (I think the FI have the engine thermometer but the carbed ones don't?)

As soon as I get to faster speeds, the temperature starts to drop back down again, so anything about around 50mph and the needle starts dropping to about half way.

This never used to happen, I wouldn't worry usually as I do often go out for quite long rides, but it's dangerously close to the red. Also I can't tell if it's related or not but the gearbox does feel a little more stiff lately.

I've already checked the coolant level, and that's fine, there's also plenty of engine oil.

Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks in advance
tmf1423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hello Harry,
when the temperature of your Ninja is close to red then you should check if the fan is working (you can hear it). If this is the case everything is fine.
I live in LoS and here it's very hot, so when I ride around in the city or in slow traffic the temperature of my Ninja is close to red all the time, but I can feel my fan working b/c my knees are getting hot from that hot air.
The temperature is going up to 102 degree celsius and there the fan starts blowing or better pulling the front air through the radiator since it sits behind it.
Have a safe ride.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It's not unusual for the temp gauge to get close to the red line on the gauge in slow moving stop and go traffic when ambient temps are high. From your description,your coolant system seems to be operation properly, because the needle is moving once you get up to speed. Your fan should also be coming on as well.

Keep a look out for other signs of overheating like the engine temp light coming on, coolant overflowing and the engine fan running constantly.

You may want to look at the DFI Trouble Shooting Guide for any other potential causes to your issues.

As far as transmission stiffness goes, make sure your chain is maintained & adjusted properly and your engine oil is good enough to handle the type of driving and environmental conditions you ride in. Some cheaper oils can shear down to the next lower weight under high heat operation.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #4
tmf1423
ninjette.org member

Name: Harry

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Thanks guys, good to know, I was getting a bit nervous that the needle was going so high. Pretty sure I can hear the fan coming on, and I can definitely feel hot air around my legs, so if that's caused by the fan then that is reassuring.

I'll update if anything new happens,

Cheers
tmf1423 is offline   Reply With Quote