ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Unhappy New brakepads, certain issues...

Hi,
I recently changed my front end brake pads with the EBC sintered HH pads and have ridden the bike for about 50 miles or so. Initially all was well, but after a certain point, I started hearing a rubbing noise coming from the front area at low speeds. This noise is also accompanied with a slight rhythmic shake/tremor that I feel through the handle bars. I tried to look for answers and came across this on EBC's website.
Quote:
Most noise problems come in the first few miles of use and pads must be given a chance to bed-in. Bed-in times are extended if rotor is not turned or surface is off-flat. Even the slightest hollow in the surface of the rotor can extend bed-in time up to 500 miles
Do y'all think the symptoms I'm experiencing is normal and a result of this "bed in time" or should I start worrying about a possibly warped rotor?
FYI, the brakes work well and I've been avoiding making any hard stops. I also cleaned the pistons and caliper thoroughly with brake cleaner during the change, so I don't suppose contaminants are the issue.
Any advice/comment will be appreciated.
Thanks.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #2
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Why did you change the pads out,were they low or just looking for better stopping.After I changed mine there was no noise.Do you have a front stand to lift front wheel off the ground so you can turn it slowly to find out where the noise is comming from
Posted via Mobile Device
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

I had a similar experience, except that I cleaned my pistons after I changed the pads. (I should have done it when changing but...heh)
Thing went on for another ~100 miles and then it stopped. Disc on my bike is not warped. It is really simple to measure, so it might be a good idea to check just in case.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #4
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

I don't quite remember, but I think I replaced mine with the same brand that you did. After I replaced mine, I went for a ride around the block. I gently and constantly applied the brakes slightly to help wear the pads to match my rotor surface. I think the noise you're describing is okay. How many miles have you gone with the new brake pads? My advice would be to use both brakes to slow down gradually instead of engine braking, at least for a few miles. This should help with the 'bedding time.' Keep in mind that I haven't been riding very long and I've only changed my brake pads once, so... yeah.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Vampyre
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Black, 2005 ZX-6R Blue

It takes a good 150mi for new pads to match old rotors. If they weren't wobbling before, I would try and wait a little bit longer to see if it goes away. Also EBC are noisier than stock.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #6
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Thanks for the comments guys . I'll continue to monitor the situation while using the brakes smoothly/lightly. I'll probably clean the whole caliper again and might also use a very light sand paper to clean the rotor of any residue left behind by my earlier pads and see what that does.
@reaperw, here's the reason why I decided to change my pads http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95284 (short story - worn pads) and I'll be ordering a front stand today.
Thanks all.

Old February 9th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Did you ever get this issue sorted out as to if the rotor is for sure not warped? If that rotor is warped, that might be significant enough to make some noise.

Basically, your "new" noise might not have anything to do with your new brake pads. It might just be because of a pre-existing issue, and the fact that it's showing up now might be purely coincidental.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #8
EthioKnight
Super Noob

I'm afraid not bro. I've ordered a front stand but until it comes and I can determine the "health" of the rotors, I will not rule out rotor wrappage.