ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Ok beginner gear?

Would this setup be alright? These are things I would actually wear everytime and not just let sit in the closet.

Helmet
http://www.extremesupply.com/product...o500solid.html

Jacket
http://www.extremesupply.com/product...TCHRX2JKT.html

Pants
http://www.extremesupply.com/product...TILEPANTS.html

Boots
http://www.extremesupply.com/product...MX2VBOOTS.html

Gloves
http://www.extremesupply.com/product...OCTSMTGLV.html

I know the boots aren't shin high, but honestly I can't say I would actually wear shin high boots always. But those are at least something.
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

dang for the cost of those pants u might as well get some cool leathers .

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:37 AM   #3
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
dang for the cost of those pants u might as well get some cool leathers .
You can pick up some awesome AGV Sport leather pants for less, maybe $190. They also make nice leather jackets for a good price. You're on the right track though. Check out RevZilla for the product videos for sizing, etc.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:30 AM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Definately use RevZilla or Motorcyclesuperstore to order, that link I put up was mainly just to see the jacket
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:15 AM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Ok first of all, you are not going to be happy with that jacket. Those shoulder pads are going to get very obtrusive and annoying. If you want to get better deals and more selection and reviews go to http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com and http://www.revzilla.com.

The helmet, the gloves, and the boots should work. But you can spend a lot less on the pants and get the same protection, take a look at http://rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=3430&id=11967, they are very comfortable and provide better protection than regular pants...I wear these all the time.

Like I said before, try other websites, like http://www.ironpony.com, they have some super deals if you can find them.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM   #6
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Great job gearing up. And I like that you are concerned about what you will really wear. A mistake I made with my first gear was going for stuff that was less expensive and I thought would look good off the bike. It is doable, but hard to do right. I ended up buying several jackets, boots, pants, etc. before I settled on stuff that I liked. I think you might end up regretting the jacket in particular.

The helmet is a good value for money. Many riders here have Scorpion helmets and like them very much. I might look for something that is Snell2010 certified - it is a new and very good standard that may offer some additional safety, or at least assurance of it.

Another pant choice worth looking at: BMW City 2 Pants. Same price point as the jeans, look good off the bike, and offers some padding.

On boots, if it were me, and I get that you want comfortable shoes off the bike, I'd look at a simple touring boot. They look like regular shoes under long pants, are decent to walk in (unlike a full race boot), but offer ankle and shin protection. Actually even more stealthy than those A*s you listed. I ride in Tourmaster Solutions when I'm not in my summer gear. They are inexpensive, comfortable to walk in, and don't scream "I am a motorcycle boot!" Seems to hit the mark as something you might really wear.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM   #7
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Helmet:

Jacket: Don't know anything about it, but it looks good to me.

Pants: You can get the same quality kevlar lined jeans for half the price.

Shoes: They're shoes, not boots. Better than sneakers, but not nearly as good as boots.

Gloves: I've heard a lot of good about them.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
akshay11
ninjette.org member

The jacket and gloves* I'm actually gettin free thanks to a very generous person on here. I am looking for cheaper pants. For the shoes, they do work in conjunction with the A*s shin/knee protector so that's an option

Last futzed with by akshay11; February 22nd, 2012 at 09:30 PM.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I wouldn't go with those gloves. I love the look of shorties but as far as protection goes you want full gauntlet. Find the Ironpony.com thread in here, they have A*s SP-2 gauntlet gloves for $50. They're normally $100. I personally would get a more full boot over those shoes but you can't argue with free, though they are your feet so you put the price on them.

As others have said the jacket looks like it might get annoying but the protection looks decent. The helmet is a good choice.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

helmet: Good
Boots : Good
Jacket : Good
Gloves : Poor choice, get full gauntlets, better protection and they just feel better, you will be happier with them i promise you that
pants : poor choice, Not because of the type but because you are paying for a name on them, I am a slut for dainese leathers as i think they make the best out there, for kevlar jeans though that is too much money, there is no up side to paying that for them. With there leathers you are getting comfort and protection and none of that is added into those jeans. Look around and you can find better deals and be able to get a couple of pairs of riding jeans for the price you pay just for that one pair.

Grats and full gear and thinking thing through though. Protection is key.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:22 PM   #11
akshay11
ninjette.org member

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ket/web1001038

Thoughts on this jacket?

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Bilt gear is known for getting the job done but not being at the top end of the spectrum, muchhhh closer to the bottom. It is inexpensive, though. I personally went for higher end stuff. Unless you plan on having a massive body type change soon you will probably have this jacket for a while; you might as well get yourself a nice one that you enjoy.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
I have this jacket and LOVE IT!!!! It protected me when I crashed. But I didn't go sliding across the pavement for seconds, I was only on the pavement for milliseconds then off into a grassy ditch. But guess what? No bruises at all on my upper body. Was very sore for days but the armor in the jacket did it's job. And the jacket is still in great condition. Just a bit dirty. Haha.

And the jacket looks very nice! I love how it is just plain black with no stupid company name across it. You can easily walk around places in this jacket without people realizing it is a motorcycle jacket.

I have worn it in temps of 100 degrees to as cold as 40ish. In the summer just remove the wind blocking liner and you wont sweat too bad. But yes you will sweat. But not as bad if you were wearing an all leather jacket. But I would rather sweat than not have skin if I crash. And for the colder temps I just wear a hoodie underneath and I am fine. If I really want to ride when it is below 40 I will just throw on my North Face jacket over the motorcycle jacket.

So yes. I would recommend this jacket. I believe it will protect me nicely if I did slide on the pavement for a bit because the leather is in all the high impact areas. When I bought the jacket the guys at Cycle Gear said it was the best mesh jacket for abrasion resistance that they had in the store.

If you wanna see pics of it I would be happy to post some up.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #14
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I have to second a few of the suggestions given.

Full gauntlets offer much more protection and aren't much more expensive, at least for a basic street glove. I do wear some short cut gloves that have minimal protection when it is warmer, but I also wear them when I'm just going somewhere on the bike, rather than riding. If you only have one pair though, I recommend the full gauntlets.

Those A*s shoes are nice. They were going to be my first pair of foot protection, but I decided to just spend the extra money, not much more honestly, to get boots. I got A*s SMX-Rs. They are very comfortable and quick and easy to get on. I don't wear them all the time but that is a personal choice and has nothing to do with the boots being uncomfortable.

I would say to buy the best gear you can afford. As someone pointed out, unless you are planning on losing/gaining an extreme amount of weight, then buy the best you can with your money. Make sure the gear fits and don't forget that you need to be able to move in it. It should be snug, but not constricting.

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:32 AM   #15
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

I have the SMX-2 Boots, and they are pretty good for what they are. Super comfortable, decent protection (essentially a race boot cut at the shin), can wear with pants and no one will be the wiser (mine are the black version with red accents). I love them on the bike, perhaps a tiny bit to much room vertical wise around the toe area, but that's why I have thicker socks or insoles
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote