ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM   #41
RyderRider15
Ate his own face. Twice.

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2009 KLR650

That sounds right. Also if you went with something like the KNOX Aegis you'd take the pad out and ware the back protector as a separate piece of gear. If you went with something like the Alpinestars Bionic Air, you'd replace it with the upgrade and use the jacket normally.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:57 PM   #42
Jmar24
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaden

Motorcycle(s): '09 Green SE Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyderRider15 View Post
Heres what I suggest. Get summer gloves now. (it is about to be summer after all) and if you find yourself even needing winter gloves, take a look at these. However like I said, you're a new rider, don't spend all your money on stuff you might not even need or want. Your going to ride your bike in summer, thats a given. So worry about summer gear now and upgrade as you feel is needed.
Yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do. Can't be overwhelming myself with nonessential stuff at the moment. Thanks for the advice.
Jmar24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #43
Jmar24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That sounds right. Also if you went with something like the KNOX Aegis you'd take the pad out and ware the back protector as a separate piece of gear. If you went with something like the Alpinestars Bionic Air, you'd replace it with the upgrade and use the jacket normally.
If I chose to get an insert, I have to get one that is made by the same company right? it looks like the pocket is specifically stitched for only certain pads.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #44
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar24 View Post
Then would I still keep the little back cushion that comes with my jacket in there or is that ok to take out?

Also, I just got my jacket, the teknic (quick shipping), and the sleeves seem to fit well while holding my arms down at my side but the length of the jacket itself only comes down to about my waist in the front and just to my tailbone in the back. I know it's suppose to fit a little different but does that sound about right?
When you get a better spine protector take the original one out of the jacket. The aegis has a kidney belt & shoulder straps, so it fits beneath the jacket not in the pocket.

Yours sounds a little bit short, but the important question is does it feel right or wrong when you sit on the bike?

Quote:
If I chose to get an insert, I have to get one that is made by the same company right? it looks like the pocket is specifically stitched for only certain pads.
You can get different brands, once they are designed to fit that shape, there are a few 'standard' shapes
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #45
Jmar24
ninjette.org member

Yeah I don't think it's big enough. I'm gonna do an exchange. But I think I would feel more comfortable with the separate spine protector, the one that you have. I'll add it to the list.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #46
RyderRider15
Ate his own face. Twice.

Quote:
Yes and no. Not all pads will fit all jackets. However some you can cut to fit, and I'd say its generally easy to find a pad that fits.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #47
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Also another side note. I suggest getting A* gear a lot if you haven't noticed. Reason is because their stuff is protective, parts are replaceable and upgradeable and imo its the best gear out there.
Funny - I've had the opposite experience. I bought a pair of Alpinestars gloves and they fell apart after fewer than ten miles with them. It then took Alpinestars two months to repair them. Now, with less than 1000 miles on them, they really look like they're fraying.

I also just spent a large chunk of cash on some Alpinestars boots. They fit well (a very difficult thing for me with boots) and seem protective (relatively), but they feel rather cheaply built with some parts and IMO would not hold up nearly as well in a crash as similarly priced boots by competitors (which, unfortunately, don't fit my foot). I honestly think Alpinestars stuff is mostly overpriced (albeit stylish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG SITT View Post
I don't know if you've bought one yet, but here's my experience with AGV Sport...I don't know if my experience with them is the rule or the exception, but take it as you may.
My jacket is an AGV Sport Tempest, and I think it's awesome. The water liner zipper (i.e. not the liner zipper, but the waterproof zipper behind the main zipper) can sometimes be a little finicky, but it's otherwise an awesome jacket.

Quote:
You can get any one that is sized to fit the pocket. I have an AGV Sport jacket and AGV Sport doesn't make back protectors. I went to a local store and it turns out an Alpinestars back protector fit in it perfectly.

One thing you should watch out for: a jacket insert will not protect your lower spine and tailbone, while a wearable one will. That being said, a wearable one is a much bigger hassle to deal with if you plan on commuting anywhere with the bike.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM   #48
Jmar24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
You can get any one that is sized to fit the pocket. I have an AGV Sport jacket and AGV Sport doesn't make back protectors. I went to a local store and it turns out an Alpinestars back protector fit in it perfectly.

One thing you should watch out for: a jacket insert will not protect your lower spine and tailbone, while a wearable one will. That being said, a wearable one is a much bigger hassle to deal with if you plan on commuting anywhere with the bike.
Hmmm.. Maybe I'll just have to get both

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   #49
RyderRider15
Ate his own face. Twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC View Post
Funny - I've had the opposite experience. I bought a pair of Alpinestars gloves and they fell apart after fewer than ten miles with them. It then took Alpinestars two months to repair them. Now, with less than 1000 miles on them, they really look like they're fraying.

I also just spent a large chunk of cash on some Alpinestars boots. They fit well (a very difficult thing for me with boots) and seem protective (relatively), but they feel rather cheaply built with some parts and IMO would not hold up nearly as well in a crash as similarly priced boots by competitors (which, unfortunately, don't fit my foot). I honestly think Alpinestars stuff is mostly overpriced (albeit stylish).
I've had 3 pair of their gloves now with no problems with any of them so far. My oldest pair is a 2010 model of the SMX-2 gloves, which have a good amount of miles on them (over 3000) and still holding up fine. My other two pair are the Apex I got for cold weather which I used all winter and still look like new, and my newest ones the SP2s which only have about 1000 miles in them. I will admit on the SMX-2s the rubber crap the put on the fingers has come off after like 2 miles, but the rest of the glove is fine. The boots I bought were the SMX-5s which I've done about 1500 miles in I'd say again still like new. The jacket also seems to be holding up fine so far.

What gear did you get if I might ask? I do know A* has a lot of rip off look a likes which I hear a lot of bad things about.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #50
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
What gear did you get if I might ask? I do know A* has a lot of rip off look a likes which I hear a lot of bad things about.
I got the SP-X Gloves and the SMX-Plus boots.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #51
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Quote:
I actually ordered that AGV one, and then like 2 mins after placing the order i read down below where it said the all black jacket is actually all black and doesnt have the white stripe.
Ended up buying this one http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...size_chart_tab and I like it. Flows a decent amount of air as well.
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #52
Jmar24
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
I actually ordered that AGV one, and then like 2 mins after placing the order i read down below where it said the all black jacket is actually all black and doesnt have the white stripe.
Ended up buying this one http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...size_chart_tab and I like it. Flows a decent amount of air as well.
Yeah I liked the white strips as well. I really like that monza though. That honestly may be my next jacket purchase.

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #53
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
Soo do you look like that last picture in your link wearing that jacket?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote