ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #41
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Maybe you should gotten one of these. Sounds like this guy hit the jackpot. 4 month of sitting and fired up on the first try? Wowzer!
The batteries are essentially the same. Same internal cells, just a different way to package them together.

To the OP, did you ever check that your charging system wasn't at fault?
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #42
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
The batteries are essentially the same. Same internally cells, just a different way to package them together.
Lies!!!

I hate you.

Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #43
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Heyy! That's the same guy

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #44
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The charging system on the Ninja was tested and found to be within spec for charging a Lead-Acid battery. Also, when I took the lithium battery back to the dealer, he tried charging it for several hours and load testing it and found that it would not take a charge or handle a load.

I have heard of other people having trouble with litihum batteries in general (not specifically the Ballistic Performance Battery) which made me decide to go back to a traditional battery. Then there is this story that doesn't help.

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #45
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

BTW, I have an OEM replacement battery (never used) I need to put up for sale. Thanks for reminding me.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #46
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

The stator/regulator on the pre gen and new gen ninja's will output 14.7 volts at RPM above 3500 so it will charge either battery. You just got a bad one. Don't let this bad one throw you off a light weight battery. My Ducati 1098 race bike has a light weight battery in it (like the moty one) and has been there for 2 years with no issues, but I do keep it on a trickle charger when not racing. It also saved 7 lbs!!!!!!
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #47
n4mwd

When the LiFe battery failed, I had to have something to run the bike so I put the original 2006 OEM Kawasaki battery back in there. Sluggish, but worked like a champ. The dealer said it was a yuasa battery with kawasaki's name on it. I came really close to getting a yuasa but I decided to go with the lifetime warranty battery instead. But the clerk tells me, after the sale, that the yuasa is a BETTER battery than the lifetime battery. At least I'll never have to pay for a new one.

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #48
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Quote:
The batteries are essentially the same. Same internal cells, just a different way to package them together.

To the OP, did you ever check that your charging system wasn't at fault?
true, but i'm pretty sure that they also use some sort of protection circuit for charging/discharging and thermal cutoff which could be at fault (different manufacturers use diff. quality?). The last thing you want is a lith. battery venting between your legs from overcharging/thermal runaway etc. Could be the one he got had a defective cell, or faulty protection circuit, or it was an act of god (for those who read the fine print of your warranty).

i wouldn't rule out lithium batteries so soon, they've been around for a while and are becoming more and more common. I'll certainly be getting a moty battery when ever my oem craps out.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #49
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
The stator/regulator on the pre gen and new gen ninja's will output 14.7 volts at RPM above 3500 so it will charge either battery. You just got a bad one. Don't let this bad one throw you off a light weight battery. My Ducati 1098 race bike has a light weight battery in it (like the moty one) and has been there for 2 years with no issues, but I do keep it on a trickle charger when not racing. It also saved 7 lbs!!!!!!
I've heard other people say nice things about the LiFe, which is why I bought that one (plus the fact that it is assembled in the USA). I ride almost every day and I think that was too much for it. So I'm going back to the 7L-BS.

Old January 4th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #50
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

I know what you mean I hate not being able to ride due to something like a dead battery. Keep the new one on a trickel charger when your not ridding and it should last a good few years.
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #51
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
true, but i'm pretty sure that they also use some sort of protection circuit for charging/discharging and thermal cutoff which could be at fault (different manufacturers use diff. quality?). The last thing you want is a lith. battery venting between your legs from overcharging/thermal runaway etc. Could be the one he got had a defective cell, or faulty protection circuit, or it was an act of god (for those who read the fine print of your warranty).

i wouldn't rule out lithium batteries so soon, they've been around for a while and are becoming more and more common. I'll certainly be getting a moty battery when ever my oem craps out.
I don't think LiFe batteries are going to be a concern if over-charged. It will obviously damage the battery, but they won't explode like the Lithium Ion batteries that it happened to in a couple laptops years ago.

Old January 5th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #52
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I haven't read the whole thread, but in case no one else has said it: lithium batteries don't like cold. Cranking, however quickly warms up the batteries. You are supposed to cranking a few times if it doesn't start right away in cold weather, and then it will have heated to the point where it will easily start the bike. Also, the pregen's electrical system is made to turn off the headlight during cranking so there is more juice available for starting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #53
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I just ordered an EVO2. I'll report back with any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #54
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
I just ordered an EVO2. I'll report back with any issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't throw out your original battery.

Old January 5th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #55
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but in case no one else has said it: lithium batteries don't like cold. Cranking, however quickly warms up the batteries. You are supposed to cranking a few times if it doesn't start right away in cold weather, and then it will have heated to the point where it will easily start the bike. Also, the pregen's electrical system is made to turn off the headlight during cranking so there is more juice available for starting.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can also cycle the ignition on if your headlight turns on from an on ignition to help warm the battery.

Old January 5th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #56
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
You can also cycle the ignition on if your headlight turns on from an on ignition to help warm the battery.
that would be a rather slow way of doing it. This isn't directly related, but high performance electric drag bikes that use lithium batteries only run half the batteries to the engine. Up to half of the other lithium cells are connected only the heaters to warm the engine cells. That might give you an idea of how poorly the perform when cold. In other words, you get more power using half the battery when hot than if you used the full batter at room temperature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #57
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
that would be a rather slow way of doing it. This isn't directly related, but high performance electric drag bikes that use lithium batteries only run half the batteries to the engine. Up to half of the other lithium cells are connected only the heaters to warm the engine cells. That might give you an idea of how poorly the perform when cold. In other words, you get more power using half the battery when hot than if you used the full batter at room temperature.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh I know how poorly they perform in the cold. My Ballistic took a poop when I tried using it when it was cold on my Hawk.

Old January 6th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #58
n4mwd

It got down to 60F here so I guess that could be it. I didn't know they were such a pain in the cold. I replaced it with a Mega-Boost battery from cycle gear which has a lifetime warranty. It was a bit of a procedure to prep the new battery, but now that its done, it seems to work great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1152.JPG (55.8 KB, 6 views)

Old January 6th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #59
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Don't throw out your original battery.
Still got it. In my garage with the rubber boot keeping it snug. If the EVO's a total fail, then I'll buy a charger and throw it back in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #60
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

EVO's a total fail!!!

Yeah, I know that's a quick assessment, but I just got an email from MCSS that my order was cancelled because that item is no longer available from the manufacturer. Interesting...

...The hunt continues...
Posted via Mobile Device

Old January 6th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #61
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Still got it. In my garage with the rubber boot keeping it snug. If the EVO's a total fail, then I'll buy a charger and throw it back in.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hope I'm preaching to the choir here, but there are two different 4 cell EVO 2 batteries. One is for scooters and is only about $50. And the other is the one that I got. If you get one, make sure its not the $50 scooter battery or problems are all but guaranteed. If I ever get another EVO2, I will get the 8 cell version. Its got a much better chance of surviving.