ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #201
Matt_F
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE, '08 Yamaha R6

I just installed these clip-ons this weekend and I thought I would add my 2 cents here to help anyone out thinking about getting these.

First off, just a little about me: I'm 6'2" and this is my first bike.

The first thing I was worried about was removing the bar ends, because I didn't have a torch and I saw everyone complaining about how hard they are to remove. I thought about it for a minute and then came up with an idea that worked PERFECTLY with NO heat! I used a pair of channel-lock pliers on the handle of my large phillips screwdriver. I've included a pic to see what I mean. I kept pressure on the back of the handle with my right hand and turn the pliers with my left.

My first impression while riding is that I feel MUCH more comfortable on the bike in ALL types of turns. Low speed turns, faster turns...they all feel much more comfortable to me now. Maybe because the clip ons allow me to stretch out more, or maybe just the feeling of being lower on the bike...whatever it is, I like it.

They do reduce comfort some while riding the straights, but not bad and I think I'll get use to it. I rode to work today (almost 40 miles one way) and even had my backpack on with my laptop and accessories in it and when I got to work I noticed no dis-comfort. I'm even thinking the increase in lean has made the seat more comfortable (maybe because the seat is sloped forward so much?). I didn't notice as much dis-comfort as I usually do with the seat on a long ride (already ordered a corbin, but maybe its not needed now? Time will tell.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (142.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (161.8 KB, 16 views)
Matt_F is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #202
247Nino
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nino

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_F View Post

The first thing I was worried about was removing the bar ends, because I didn't have a torch and I saw everyone complaining about how hard they are to remove. I thought about it for a minute and then came up with an idea that worked PERFECTLY with NO heat! I used a pair of channel-lock pliers on the handle of my large phillips screwdriver. I've included a pic to see what I mean. I kept pressure on the back of the handle with my right hand and turn the pliers with my left.
I also used this method.

I am 5'4" and I feel no discomfort, I have also been riding for about 8 years but my 08 250R is the only bike that had ape hangers.

I love the Woodcrafts

and thank you to KKIM for this write-up!
247Nino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #203
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): White 2011 Aprilia RSV4R

Ordered my Woodcraft clip-ons yesterday (Sat 15th August), they should arrive by Tues/Weds of next week and I hope to have them installed on next Sunday (30th). Will try to remember to take pics of install process and post the relevant ones as soon as practicable.

Wish me luck, I ain't the most mechanical of people, I hope the instructions are pretty much idiot proof!

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #204
kkim

Worked for this idiot!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #205
Lukey
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Black

Thanks to you kkim I've received my set of woodies for my ninja 09. Really appreciated your detailed write up which answered pretty much all of my questions regarding this mod. need to get around to installing however - having a bit of trouble with the bar ends! anyway i'm hoping they provide me with much more attack on the seat and will also look at lower the front forks to pronounce this change more so! If these bikes came like this stock they would be perfect, well for me at least! thanks again - you've been a huge help!
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #206
kkim

are you heating the bar end screws with a torch?

Old August 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #207
Lukey
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r Black

sorta... dont have a torch so thought a soldering iron would get some heat - but as i thought; not enough! my mate came around today and removed them with an impact wrench!

anyway so ive just finished putting them on - pretty fiddly! one problem occured; the tightening mechanism for the clutch (as in the bolt that tightens the clamp to the bar) has stripped and will only tighten so much, but not enough. how would i fix this?
Lukey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #208
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Take out your stripped bolt and buy a new one. Most hardware stores have something that will measure the pitch and diameter of a bolt.

I have a hard time finding a hardware store here that has a good selection of metric bolts, but I'm sure you wont have that problem.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #209
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

I'm in the middle of this install the moment... thanx again kkim

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM   #210
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Installed my Woodcraft clip-ons today

Not being the most mechanical of people I enlisted the help of a friend who has mechanical experience with both cars and bikes. It helps a lot to have to the rights tools (well most of them anyway) to get the job done, and saves a lot of time.

The hardest part of course was getting the screws out of the end of the old bars. Not having a torch or any sort of heating implement, we drilled them out. Using 4mm, then 6mm then 10mm bits to get them out, as no amount of using pliers of any description would move them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 007a.jpg (56.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 010a.jpg (40.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 011a.jpg (44.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 013a.jpg (47.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 008a.jpg (49.7 KB, 17 views)

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM   #211
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

The rest of the install was pretty straight forward, the grips proving difficult until we blew them off with the air compressor. We had the lap-top open at this thread to help with the bits that the written instructions didn't go into too much detail with, and it was a huge help. Especially the bit about the air-compressor, after trying for quite a while to pry off the grips with a small screwdriver.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:32 AM   #212
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

All-in-all it took about 2 and three quarter hours to get everything installed, taking care not to crimp any fittings, doing the lock-to-lock check and making sure everything was tightened down correctly.

So a couple of pics showing the difference in the riding position, using my wrists and the ninja decal as a reference point you can see how much difference there is. The bike was in the same position and you can see from the background how much further down my shoulders and head are. Nothing in either picture had been moved so you've got some pretty good reference points.

I'm 177cm (5 feet 9 and a half inches) and 75kg (165 pounds) for those of you wondering about the size of organic material sitting on the bike....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 006a.jpg (122.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Clip-on installation 017a.jpg (124.8 KB, 423 views)

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM   #213
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Riding impressions.

After the install I rode the bike home, a trip of about 40km (25 miles). On a variety of city roads and speeds, varying from 60kh surbuban streets to 100kph freeways. None of it too taxing, but a good spread of the sort of stuff I ride on most days.

Although I am very much a novice, the difference was like night and day for me. The bike seemed to be much easier to corner, and "flickability" was much improved. I felt the bike was much more responsive. Now it could just be my lack of experience and also the euphoria of having installed a new gizmo making me predisposed to being impressed, but that's how it seemed. I felt a lot more connected to the front end if that makes any sense. Kinda makes me wonder why Kawasaki didn't install something similar from the outset.

I also found the riding position comfortable, although it was only about a 25-30 minute ride home. I'm planning on a longer ride tomorrow, and I guess a decent length trip will soon tell the comfort story better.

So I've got my first mod up and running (the Yoshi pipe and single-seat cowl were done by the previous owner), and I'd just like to thank all of the other posters for their pictures and text, it makes the whole thing a much easier process.

Tomorrow the beach on the Gold Coast beckons...

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #214
angrycrow
ninjette.org member

Name: thomas

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250

just ordered mine off Richards site. cant wait for them to come in the mail cause all i do out here is ride downhill twisties . ahh im so anxious
angrycrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #215
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rinblack View Post
The bike was in the same position and you can see from the background how much further down my shoulders and head are. Nothing in either picture had been moved so you've got some pretty good reference points.

I'm 177cm (5 feet 9 and a half inches) and 75kg (165 pounds) for those of you wondering about the size of organic material sitting on the bike....
I noticed in the after picture that there is silver tubing showing, as if you have lowered the front.......have you lowered the front of the bike as well ???
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #216
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmiff View Post
I noticed in the after picture that there is silver tubing showing, as if you have lowered the front.......have you lowered the front of the bike as well ???
That's the top of the forks, they stick out above the top triple, but the stock bars cover them up. When you remove the stock bars, you see these.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #217
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
That's the top of the forks, they stick out above the top triple, but the stock bars cover them up. When you remove the stock bars, you see these.
This is the end result. Those unsightly screw holes have been filled and I'm looking for some rubber/plastic caps to fit over the tops of the forks to just tidy things up.

Took the bike for a much longer ride yesterday. Initial part was on a freeway, and I have to say that the new riding position is a big improvement in terms of buffeting at speed. Previously I found that at about 120kph my head was being pulled about a fair bit, now with it a bit lower my guess is that the fairing is pushing much of the airflow over the top of my helmet. 130kph felt quite comfortable.

The next part of the ride was up and down hill twisties, and I loved it , I just felt more confident cornering the bike without getting carried away with over enthusiasm. All in all I covered about 150km on all types of roads and the only minor problem was my shoulders tended to tense up a bit (which I think is more an experience issue than riding posture) but I learned to relax and that seemed to help.

Oh and the Ninja got paid a compliment. I was stopped at some roadworks, and so I asked the young guy with the Stopsign how long I'd be there. "Umm about five minutes" he said. Then he says:"Is that a 600?"
I told him the truth but it was great all the same
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bike shots 15AUG09 002a.jpg (114.1 KB, 78 views)

Old August 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #218
rockNroll

What did you fill the holes with? I put the bolts back in and ran em down so now there's four Allens there now. I also had to wipe that white paint outta there w/ some brake kleen. I was planning on getting four set screws later, to fill those holes.

Old August 25th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #219
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

I put the Allens back in while I search for something more appealing. I wasn't really sure about removing the white paint, I thought it could be of some importance to the bike mechanics when I get it serviced. If it's not required then it goes too.

Old August 26th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #220
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Use the allen bolts for a GPS mount.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27497
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:36 AM   #221
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
Use the allen bolts for a GPS mount.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27497
That was my thought exactily!
I was thinking about making a mount for there before but was lazy since the handle would then need longer bolts and it might be weird, but since a mount would cover all that stuff it would be perfict now.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:44 AM   #222
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

After 2 (looonnnggg) weeks of waiting, my clip-ons should be here today! Whooo!!!! I'm still debating if I want to install them myself, or have a local shop do it for me. I'm afraid I might mess something up due to over-excitement.
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 11:53 AM   #223
Ken
"Is that the Ninjer 1000?

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Quarter Liter Kawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zev42 View Post
After 2 (looonnnggg) weeks of waiting, my clip-ons should be here today! Whooo!!!! I'm still debating if I want to install them myself, or have a local shop do it for me. I'm afraid I might mess something up due to over-excitement.

Michelle it's definitely an easy DIY job. Just make sure you have a drill to make an alignment hole and a handheld torch to heat up the bar-end screws and follow Kelly's instructions and it'll be a piece of cake.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM   #224
zev42
ninjette.org member

Well, it's definitely a reach! Being 5'1", the reach is more than I had anticipated. It seems to be better at turns, but I'll have to take the bike out for another test run. I only took it out on the street for a little bit, and since all the local canyons are on fire (ACH, GMR, Azusa...) I couldn't fully test it out.

Well hopefully the fires will die down soon, and I can really test out how these clip-ons are with tight turns and some knee dragging!

Next step: Get a pair of Pazzo levers. My stock levers are very uncomfortable, and really need to be adjustable for my tiny hands.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #225
rockNroll

Quote:
Well, it's definitely a reach! Being 5'1", the reach is more than I had anticipated. It seems to be better at turns, but I'll have to take the bike out for another test run. I only took it out on the street for a little bit, and since all the local canyons are on fire (ACH, GMR, Azusa...) I couldn't fully test it out.

Well hopefully the fires will die down soon, and I can really test out how these clip-ons are with tight turns and some knee dragging!

Next step: Get a pair of Pazzo levers. My stock levers are very uncomfortable, and really need to be adjustable for my tiny hands.

Do you have rear sets?

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #226
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hi Michelle, can I make a suggestion re the test ride? When I installed mine the first serious test ride I took involved a lengthy ride on a local freeway. I did this to just accustomise myself to the new riding postion, get myself sorted before I went on any twisty stuff. After having worked out how it affected me in those conditions i.e rider comfort, head position (including over the shoulder checks etc) I then peeled off the freeway and went onto my favourite bit of twisty road. You will instantly notice the difference, you're more over the front wheel and I found the bike was much more receptive to my shifting weight (not that it wasn't good before, it just seems even better now), it just seems so much more "flickable".

All of that said, as the friend who helped with the install (who is also a rider, Ducati 999s) gave me some sound advice: Don't push it initially, work your way into things. I think what he meant was that it's very easy to become enthralled with your lastest mod, and push things when perhaps easing into it might be a slightly better option.

That said, I love this modification and it just makes a good bike even better.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #227
zev42
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Do you have rear sets?
Yep.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #228
rockNroll

Quote:
Yep.

Okay then.... your next step can be the adjustable levers

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #229
zev42
ninjette.org member

You're right, I probably should get more used to the new position. I also should get the Pazzo adjustable levers so it's easier to pull the clutch in :-D Somehow, after the installation of the clip-ons, my clutch lever is 1 inch further away than it was. No clue how or why, but it sure makes it difficult.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM   #230
kkim

did you or a shop install them?

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:26 PM   #231
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Does this mod screw with factory cable lengths in the clutch and accellorator (<---- I know thats spelt wrong)
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM   #232
kkim

Quote:
Does this mod screw with factory cable lengths in the clutch and accellorator (<---- I know thats spelt wrong)
no

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM   #233
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
No adjusting needed Woodcraft made a great product. Only hard part of the install is drilling the loacating holes for the switches.

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; September 2nd, 2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Damn this dial-up internet 8-(
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:47 AM   #234
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
No adjusting needed Woodcraft made a great product. Only hard part of the install is drilling the loacating holes for the switches.

I would add to that: getting the screws out of the bar-ends can be difficult if you don't have the right tools. Heating them up seems to be the most civilised way of removing them, we drilled mine and I'm not a big fan of drilling things (or any use of brute force) when there's another option. Take your time, read and then re-read this thread and just make sure when you're finished to do your clearance checks and make sure nothing is fouling and finally tighten everything up.

It's all good

Old September 14th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #235
zev42
ninjette.org member

I accidentally stripped the bolt while adjusting my clip-ons, so now my clip-ons are (at the moment) permanently stuck in a position I don't like.... any advice?

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #236
kkim

Quote:
I accidentally stripped the bolt while adjusting my clip-ons, so now my clip-ons are (at the moment) permanently stuck in a position I don't like.... any advice?
one of the allen bolts?

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #237
zev42
ninjette.org member

Yep, one of the allen bolts.

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #238
kkim

try loosening up all the other bolts that hold that clamp on and see if that will allow you enough room to grab the stripped Allen with a vise grips to loosen it. If not, you'll need to drill off the head of the stripped bolt with a drill bit. Be careful if you do that to not hit the clamp.

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #239
zev42
ninjette.org member

I'll try that when I get home, thanks!

Old September 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #240
rockNroll

You could loosen the two bolts on the other side and rotate, leave the stripped bolt be. (Yeah the inside two are a hassle, but you can do it).