ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Notice large scratch when working on bike

So this past weekend i did some work on my bike and i removed all the fairings. After i removed the left side fairing and placed it in my truck bed for safe keeping i noticed a large scratch/gouge on the very bottom corner.

Not sure where it came from. I am thinking it is from before i bought my bike and dealer or someone was moving it off a trailer and the plastic bottomed out on the point between the ramp and the truck bed?

I don't know where else a scratch like that would have come from as i have never hit anything.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Most likely from unloading the bike off the trailer or truck bed. steep angles = scratched lowers.

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

*yawn*

All kinds of stuff on the street scratches under there. Rocks, wire, string, dirt, sand, tumbleweeds... At 30,000 miles, mine wasn't even blue anymore. No one can see under there, so I wouldn't worry about it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #4
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

I've never seen one that wasn't scratched. Back when I lived in Cali, mine would scrape on almost every sidewalk ramp because they're so steep compared to other states.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:36 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
I've never seen one that wasn't scratched. Back when I lived in Cali, mine would scrape on almost every sidewalk ramp because they're so steep compared to other states.
this thread was dead before it started, not sure why it needed revived.

But anyway, the scratch was clearly a low speed scratch, I think the first responder nailed it. It happened when someone was loading/unloading the bike. The rest of my under fairing is mint after 10k miles, this is scratch to this day is the only defect.

and to the quoted poster, why are you riding on sidewalk ramps? do you mean speed bump?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #6
KrazyWalle
ninjette.org member

Name: oswaldo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Passion Red, Ca Model)

I was riding with my buddy once he was on his WR250X and I wanted to show him my bike could go over little bumps as well. Well I bottomed out on a curb and scraped it. My buddy started cracking up. Needless to say his bike has way more clearance than mine, I haven't done it since. I did plasti dipped the whole underside to protect it though...

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #7
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
and to the quoted poster, why are you riding on sidewalk ramps? do you mean speed bump?
My bad, the car version is apparently called a driveway crossing. The thing that cuts across the sidewalk to let you into a parking lot. Random image I pulled off google:

M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ nah, you were right, sidewalk ramp works there. I'm just an idiot, plus not to many sidewalks where I live so not something I encounter very often.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.