ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Name: poo poo

Motorcycle(s): '03 and '08

I need a louder plug and play horn.. Help, pls!

I'm in DC, and I fear for my life when on the roads here. Is there something online or at auto zone (they don't carry the blazer claxon anymore) with which folks have had success? I mean, really... *anything* is better than stock... As per usual for our bikes...

Old September 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Yeah... what you're going to want is Hella Supertones. I mounted them on my Ninjette:

They're currently mounted on the Er-6n:

I also have sets on the wife's car, and my car. I'm a fan. These horn will get you flipped off, but won't be ignored.

Contact Tristan at sales@circuitmotorsports.net and tell him Bill (reddoak) sent you. BTW, he hates these horns, I may have caused him permanent hearing damage with them.

Several times.

Old September 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I was finally able to use my horn a few weeks ago. I never get to use my horn because when I normally would in a car because someone's trying to hit me or whatever instead of using the horn i spend the effort avoiding the hazard instead... but the other day me and this other car were turning off the freeway onramp and after the turn there was a red light maybe 20 feet ahead... well the guy wasn't stopping... clearly didn't see the red light, so i honked at him while he ran the red light and almost hit someone... i like to think they heard my honk and slowed down enough to avoid him

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #4
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

thanks, reddoak! will do. also...

wondering what you think of your new ride. how's the seating position on the ER-6N? i'm interested in getting one, but i hate to give up my commuter ninjette.... i'm afraid the larger size of the bike will interfere with my lane splitting.

Old September 6th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
with those horns, do they draw enough current that I would need to wire in a relay and have the horn activate the relay?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #6
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
with those horns, do they draw enough current that I would need to wire in a relay and have the horn activate the relay?
Dual horn set ups need to be wired by relay.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo poo View Post
I'm in DC, and I fear for my life when on the roads here. Is there something online or at auto zone (they don't carry the blazer claxon anymore) with which folks have had success? I mean, really... *anything* is better than stock... As per usual for our bikes...
Riding around in DC, that scooter sounding horn can get ignored very easily, so I feel your desire for wanting anything louder and able to garner a little more attention.

There are a few horns you can get from your local auto parts store.
Many have found replacing the stock horn with the single FIAMM low tone Freeway Blaster to work well. Simple p&p. No relay or extra fuses required.

Some have also installed the Stebel Air Horn as well.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ighlight=fiamm
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #8
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by poo poo View Post
wondering what you think of your new ride. how's the seating position on the ER-6N? i'm interested in getting one, but i hate to give up my commuter ninjette.... i'm afraid the larger size of the bike will interfere with my lane splitting.
It's pretty close to the Ninja. It might be a bit more upright, and the seat is a little higher off the ground, but not by much. I put less pressure on my wrists on the ER than I did on the 250, and that helps a lot, particularly at lower speed.

Power wise, it's got the 250 beat, obviously. It's double the HP, but the torque down low is really useful for loafing along on the street. The 650 is not a high strung, peaky powerplant like a 600 is. It pulls well from 4,000 to 10,000 RPM, and is reasonably fast, but very tractable.

The ER has better performance in almost every way as a commuter. The 250 has it beat in:
1. Very low speed performance. The Ninja is easier to flick around in a parking lot. They are lighter and lower. At 20+ MPH, it's a wash. Plus, the mirrors are fixed on a Ninja. This makes it easier to back out a doorway (for when you park inside an office, for example.
2. Fuel mileage is better on the 250. No surprise, however, I got about 10 MPG better on the 250. There is not a huge diff to the wallet between 45 and 55 MPG. But it is measurable.
3. Ninjettes have better wind protection. The wind blast at 70 MPH is much more noticeable without a little windshield to duck under.

As far as lane splitting... Don't know. The ER is a pretty narrow bike, about as wide as the 250. I bet you could exploit a gap a bit quicker on it than on a 250.

I really liked my 250, I like the ER-6 more. I'm more likely to go for a 2-3 hour ride on the ER than I ever was on the 250. The 250 felt more sharp and responsive handling, the ER-6 feels a lot more comfortable.

Not sure if you ever ride 2-up, while the 250 was capable with me and my 100 pound son on it, the 650 handles it much easier, with a larger chassis and more power (particularly down low, where the Ninja was a bit... sluggish) it's a fun ride. If you ever do one, be careful winding it out in 1st gear. I lofted the front wheel pretty easily in 1st with my son on the back. He approved... me? Not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
The answer is.... maybe. I ran them on my 250 with no problem. Wired them right off the horn wiring on the bike, and they worked fine. No relay needed. On the ER-6n, they blew 2 fuses without making a noise. Instantaneous, so I wired in a relay. A friend of mine runs a single (low tone) on his Versys, no relay, no problem. On both bikes, at idle, they draw enough to noticeably dim the headlight. Fun!

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
I never get to use my horn because when I normally would in a car because someone's trying to hit me or whatever instead of using the horn i spend the effort avoiding the hazard instead...
Agreed

I use my horn when people are stupid or careless but aren't causing me to take evasive action.

Old September 7th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #10
poo poo
kinda sorta noob

Thanks reddoak!

Brilliant write up! I've made my mind up to test drive an ER-6. an addition to the minister may be warranted, base on the characteristics you describe. You really should write for Cycle World! And I mean that as a compliment!

Old September 7th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Aw, shucks.

You should just get a literbike. They outrun sound, and you'll just get bored quickly with a 650 anyways...

Oops, wrong thread.

Old September 8th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84813
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote