Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old May 3rd, 2019, 02:50 PM   #1
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2015 zx10r, 2010 Ducati 848

Spirited riding 2 up

Has anyone seen any tips or videos anywhere?

I've been riding for a long time and racing for many years, but now I'm married. And that means much of the time when I'm out hitting twisties with my friends, I have a 115lb spoiler on the back of my bike.

She rides great in normal riding, and every time we go hit some corners (which she loves the most) she gets better and better. She's a quick learner and takes my advice on what to do very well, so now I can at least scoot my butt around the seat.

But has anyone seen any stuff out there for us both to learn from to get us from this

To this

Edit: Mind you this is on my Ducati, not her 250. I'm not looking for motorcycle set up as much as body positioning and weight transfer as a team
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2019, 10:43 AM   #2
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

I wrote this a while back ('09) on another board. It's basic, but it's what I have. Definitely bump up the preload on the rear shock!

"Brief her on what you expect of her and what she should expect of you.

Make sure that you're ready for her to get on the bike. Have her wait for you to nod or tell her to mount up.

Have her get on with the kick-stand down and before you straighten up the bike. Have her get off in the same fashion. (This may not work well on lowered machines.)

You'll notice that it's easier to stall when starting off. Take longer to let out the clutch.

It will take much longer to stop. Plan ahead.

It will also be harder to balance when stopping. Again, plan ahead.

Tell her not to move around unless she absolutely has to and then only when on straight sections of the road.

Tell her to always keep her shoulders even with yours. Make sure she never straightens up when you're in a turn.

Have her put a hand on the tank and one on your stomach, (then pat with one hand while rubbing with the other) <- humor.

Make sure she sits up straight and doesn't put her weight on you. You won't ride very well with a 140-pound back-pack.

It's mandatory that she wave at all children.

How smooth you are will be important. It's much harder to be smooth with a passenger.

It's a good idea to add some pre-load to the rear shock in order to compensate for the passenger's additional weight. The bike will handle better that way as well.

Adding pre-load to the shock can save your chain as well. Hitting a pot-hole with a big-ole girl on back will stretch a section of your chain. (Don't ask...)

Low-speed riding can be your down-fall. It's smart to practice it with your passenger in a parking lot before riding on the street.

It's a good idea to give your passenger an idea of how much of an effect they can have on a moving bike. You can do this by riding in a parking lot and letting them steer by leaning off to each side. By letting the bike follow what they do, they'll understand that riding is more of a cooperative effort than they think.

All that said... I've had passengers that I could practically drag knee with. That came from a lot of miles of actively practicing together. It's very rewarding to smoothly flow through a canyon with someone on back, but it takes a lot of work from both riders. I'd do track-days with a passenger if they'd let me."

No one else has touched this yet, so I wonder what they'll have to offer.

The kickstand mounting technique is for the shorter riders.

Ride well,

J~

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Here is an article I wrote on the very subject

http://www.motomom.ca/hello-world/

On a sidenote, I was riding in Spain at Aragon with Troy Corser as my riding coach, he took me on the back of his bike as a passenger and rode pretty damn quickly with me on the back (wheelies, sliding the rear etc). At the end he laughed at my profanities that he could hear me shouting from the back but also said I was a good passenger, "like a little backpack"
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2019, 11:11 PM   #4
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Tip: tell her to get off and get on her own bike. You can now both get farther off the edge of your respective machines. None of my bikes have a rear seat immediately after purchase - my mistakes are going to punish me never a passenger. Just my personal preference.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2019, 11:26 PM   #5
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
Tip: tell her to get off and get on her own bike. You can now both get farther off the edge of your respective machines. None of my bikes have a rear seat immediately after purchase - my mistakes are going to punish me never a passenger. Just my personal preference.
She has her own bike...

Old May 15th, 2019, 04:55 AM   #6
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
She has her own bike...
I saw that. So why isn’t she riding it? Get a Sena.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2019, 12:06 AM   #7
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PGTTech View Post
I saw that. So why isn’t she riding it? Get a Sena.
1) She doesn't have her permit/license yet

2)If she was on hers, how would we ride 2 up?

Old May 17th, 2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
just because she has her own, doesn't mean she won't still enjoy a nice 2 up ride once in awhile. Riding your own and being a passenger are both awesome in their own ways.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2019, 02:34 PM   #9
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Can't for the life of me see why anyone would want anything other than the first photo

Old May 19th, 2019, 01:06 AM   #10
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
Can't for the life of me see why anyone would want anything other than the first photo
Hahaha right?!! I see you're from Pittsburgh, too! We're from Robinson

Old May 27th, 2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
I had an interesting experience riding two up on the back of Troy Corser's bike at Aragon in Spain last October. I was there doing a riding school with him as part of a Leod Escapes tour/track time trip and he asked me if I'd like to get on the back with him for a few laps of the track. At first I said NO WAY (with lots of swears in the mix) but then I thought about it and changed my mind. He had told me that I would learn more in three laps on the back with him than he could convey in two days of classroom sessions because I would actually be able to FEEL what he was doing on the bike. At first I was super skeptical (I'm make a terrible passenger because I want to be in control) but I didn't want to turn down the offer and hot damn.....did I learn a few things!!! Holy crap, it was super scary, mostly when he pitched it sideways on the third lap and chased down a guy that dared pass us.....hahaha BUT I learned a lot about front tire feel, utilizing downshifting to help get more grip and braking "sooner, softer, longer" as he teaches. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it....super fun/scary and educational experience.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 9.34.33 AM.png (252.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 9.35.09 AM.png (299.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.32.49 AM.png (501.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.jpg (46.3 KB, 1 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Here's some 2-up riding for ya!!!

RIDER: "What the....why does it feel like my elbow is dragging?"

PASSENGER: "I dunno, let me check it out..."

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 23rd, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2019, 05:37 PM   #13
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Ever since I got my own I try to never, ever get on the back of another bike. However, if I had the chance to get on the back of a motogp's bike, I would.

For me, a track day taught me what I need to do. The Ohio advanced classes teaches passengers how to be a good passenger.

The advice from others on here is good.