cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #122
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
This popped up on Facebook today. The first bike laps at Thompson ever -- a TTD staff day so they can get familiar.

This, I believe, is Ken Condon riding a Triumph Speed Triple (675 cc).

Here's what I see after running through it once (I'm a track virgin so I'm focusing on things that probably don't matter to experienced track guys):

1) Most significant... he rides the entire lap except for the second half of the straight in one gear. No shifting. He starts out in third, but after Tony passes him he goes down to second and leaves it there. On the straight he only gets up to fifth. For a newb, this is cool because it's one less thing I have to think about.

2) Speeds... Turn 1 (which is what I'm thinking is the most challenging for a newb to get right because we'll be hauling it down from high speed and it's a tight right) is about 45 mph. Peak on the straight is about 120. Most turns are 45-55 mph. The slowest is the hairpin before the bridge, which is about 40 mph. For Ken and other experienced riders, the pace looks calm. For me it's probably the best I can wish for.

I love the web. I can learn all the reference points weeks before I ever get to the track....

I anticipate looping this a few times.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #123
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
That guy trailbrakes very deep. ijs
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2014, 05:26 PM   #124
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Track looks so smooth. Maybe it's the bike but I'd ride that much differently. Although he might just be puttin around. Still looks like fun.

Old June 11th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #125
adouglas
Cat herder

You may have heard of this guy. He's Ken Condon, a columnist for Motorcycle Consumer News and author of Riding in the Zone (http://www.ridinginthezone.com/). He's one of Tony's instructors.

And yeah, he advocates trail braking.

I do get the sense they weren't pushing at all. I'll be lucky if come anywhere near that speed as a first-timer anyway.

Old June 11th, 2014, 05:38 PM   #126
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I do get the sense they weren't pushing at all. I'll be lucky if come anywhere near that speed as a first-timer anyway.
Your 750 could coast around faster than they were running. I think that was the video so everyone would feel comfortable going there.

Old June 11th, 2014, 06:28 PM   #127
adouglas
Cat herder

My bike might... we'll see if I can.

He was hitting 120 on the straight....

but having said that, he never got it up into 6th gear.

Old June 12th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #128
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
That guy trailbrakes very deep. ijs
Holy toadstools. I finally got to watch this with the sound on. Is he trailbraking PAST the apex?

Beyond me.... I'm still trying to get past the walk-and-chew-gum-at-the-same-time feel of modulating the brake lever and the throttle simultaneously.

Old June 12th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #129
adouglas
Cat herder

FYI: Tony posted a copy of his pre-event email over on BORN. Too long to revisit here, but a couple of items are of special interest:

- You can get into the track the night before. They'll be running tech the night before for our convenience.

- Camping is available and Tony's paying the fee. Don't let your dog crap on the grass. Check with the track to see if you can even bring your dog.

- Garage space is available for $25 cash per bike. There is power in the garage, but no benches so if you want a table, bring one. If you've got a race trailer you may NOT run an extension cord from the garage to the trailer.

Personally, I'm going to spring for garage space. My visit to NH made it plain that it's worth it. Plus I'll get to leave the canopy at home....

Old June 12th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #130
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Holy toadstools. I finally got to watch this with the sound on. Is he trailbraking PAST the apex?

Beyond me.... I'm still trying to get past the walk-and-chew-gum-at-the-same-time feel of modulating the brake lever and the throttle simultaneously.
Brake until you have a speed you are comfortable with and the proper direction, which could be past the apex.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2014, 06:52 AM   #131
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
My bike might... we'll see if I can.

He was hitting 120 on the straight....

but having said that, he never got it up into 6th gear.
Neither will you. 6th gear is for cruising the highway. You will really only need 2nd and 3rd, and 4th on the long straight. RPMs are your friend at the track. They provide quick acceleration and deceleration (when used with brakes). Just get into a rythme and try to improve every lap. You want to use max torque to max HP in shifting.

Old June 12th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #132
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Sure, some track's linked corners lend themselves to doing that more often then others. Just don't study it too hard, you will have different braking markers, turn in points and so on and so forth.

Quote:
FYI: Tony posted a copy of his pre-event email over on BORN. Too long to revisit here, but a couple of items are of special interest:

- You can get into the track the night before. They'll be running tech the night before for our convenience.

- Camping is available and Tony's paying the fee. Don't let your dog crap on the grass. Check with the track to see if you can even bring your dog.

- Garage space is available for $25 cash per bike. There is power in the garage, but no benches so if you want a table, bring one. If you've got a race trailer you may NOT run an extension cord from the garage to the trailer.

Personally, I'm going to spring for garage space. My visit to NH made it plain that it's worth it. Plus I'll get to leave the canopy at home....
Thanks for the heads up! I thought we were gunna pit together? I don't mind springing for a garage but I will mostly have everything setup in/around my trailer due to camping. I will have pretty much everything, ezup, table, grill, chairs, radio, a genny for power, ect.. ect...

Old June 12th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #133
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sure, some track's linked corners lend themselves to doing that more often then others. Just don't study it too hard, you will have different braking markers, turn in points and so on and so forth.

Thanks for the heads up! I thought we were gunna pit together? I don't mind springing for a garage but I will mostly have everything setup in/around my trailer due to camping. I will have pretty much everything, ezup, table, grill, chairs, radio, a genny for power, ect.. ect...
If i make the trek up ill try to pit with you then Chris, i shouldnt need garage space for my first time.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #134
adouglas
Cat herder

Hanging with you guys works for me. I was willing to spring for a garage for convenience and sun protection... it's going to be late July, after all. Plus there's a cool buzz around the garages. I'm a bit up in the air about this.

Let's confirm arrival plans, space needed etc. as we get closer to the date.

Better read the following... it's the communication Tony sent out regarding this Saturday's event. Apparently parking in the pit area is quite limited, which may affect your decision to set your home-away-from home up there. Having said that, there's also supposed to be parking away from the pits. Note bold text below (my adds).

Don't take my word for any of this... I recommend you guys go over to bandofriders.net and check out the posts in the TTD section or better yet, contact Tony directly.

Here is the text portion of the stuff he sent out regarding this Saturday's Thompson trackday:

Quote:
The staff and I just did a test run at the new track and we are excited for some great events this year!

Here are some things you should keep in mind. If I missed something, feel free to email me and I'll try to answer.

June 14th Trackday:

- TTD riders can enter the pit area after 6:30PM on Friday night. There is no end time - a person is supposed to be on duty all night (however, please be considerate as many people are sleeping after 11 to prepare for their big day!)

- I have paid the camping fee so you will not be charged. Please don't arrive before 6:30PM on Friday as parking is very limited around the garages and we need to give the other group time to get out. If you come early, walk over and check things out if you wish - and if the other participants clear out early, then you can come into the pit area earlier.

- We plan to run tech from 7pm to about 8:30pm on Fri night. We'll then open again at 7AM.

- There is a SINGLE LANE bridge into the pit area. There is a light that controls traffic flow. Only go when you have a green light or we'll end up with 2 vehicles with trailers going opposite directions - and someone will have to back all the way down.

- As you come over the bridge, there is a grass area to the left - this is for tent camping. PLEASE DO NOT walk your dogs in this area! In fact, you should contact the track first as I'm not even sure pets are allowed.

- The garages are the only place that have electricity. If you wish to rent a garage spot, it is $25 per bike. You can pay as you enter the track and get a sticker - or you can park in the garage and they will come around and collect if you do not have a sticker on the bike. BRING CASH to speed things up.

- If you are renting a garage spot, then you should park in front of the garage bays. If you are not renting, then please park in the open area when you first come over the bridge. We will do our best to direct parking - please realize we need to keep vehicles fairly close together to fit everyone. If you are unsure where to park, sit still for a minute and I'm sure a staffer will be right over.

NOTE: You are NOT allowed to run an electric cord from the garages to a trailer. I am working on them about this rule, but for now don't do it.

- There are no tables in the garage. Bring a folding table if you feel the need. However, they are not huge garages so don't expect to spread out too much.

- There will not be gas available for this trackday. They have pumps but they did not appear ready. I would suggest you show up with a full tank, and an extra can, if possible.

- TTD does not supply water or gatorade for this event. Please bring a supply for yourself.

- We will stop riding from 12 to 1 for Lunch. The restaurant will be open to order - or you can pack a cooler with sandwiches, etc.

Old June 13th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #135
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Having been to about every motorcycle track in America I would suggest you all going in on the garage. It's alway 1000 times better. I'm not a camper (unless RVing is considered camping at the track) but indoors with a fan, a floor with a rug (which I always bring), chairs, cooler, tools, music, shade, always beats hoboing it.

Old June 15th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #136
adouglas
Cat herder

kayso...

I went up and stuck around for the morning. Ant made it but couldn't stay past the rider's meeting.

Track feedback
The track was only starting to dry out by the time I left and speeds were starting to ramp up.

Consensus among the riders I spoke to: It's pretty tight. Nice variety for such a short track.

Observations: They've got SAFER barriers in key spots (e.g. under the bridge) but as noted above, not everywhere. TTD laid out cones in some places to force safer lines (exiting the oval, and the first right-hander in the twisty section).

There are many places to spectate... basically you can see the whole track except the turn 9-10 area.

Parking/garage feedback:

It's very crowded. Admittedly a lot of people showed up (I heard 128). Parking was chock full. If you do the canopy thing you will be RIGHT next to people on either side. I have a feeling that pitting near one another isn't going to happen unless we try to all show up at the same time, which is just silly. You're going to arrive and a staff member will point. You go where they tell you.

There's plenty of room for tents in the field over towards the skid pad. It's the pit/canopy section that's full.

Old June 15th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #137
adouglas
Cat herder

At this point I think I'm going to take CC's advice and get a garage spot. One less thing to pack and set up (canopy). Better protection from the weather. But I might be talked out of it.... $25 is peanuts compared to the cost of the weekend.

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #138
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Sounds just like what we had at Jennings. A 8x10 pad with 2ft before the next pad. No worries mang, it makes things cozy. But I am down with the garage thang, if that floats your boat. For the trip I am taking... I aint lettin' it be a second thought.

And... 128 peeps?!?!?!? All riders? Assuming 3 group format, that is 42 riders per group. If so, those are some pretty large groups for a short and tight track. ijs, been there, done that. Makes for a fun day of passing though .

Old June 15th, 2014, 05:04 PM   #139
Bigballsofpaint

Im all set and signed up for Monday July 21st, now i just need to get the 250 in shape!

Last futzed with by Bigballsofpaint; June 16th, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #140
adouglas
Cat herder

Chris:

There were four groups. I never got the sense that the track was really crowded because of the way they stage people, but you know how things can bunch up.

One of the fast guys posted a more detailed review of the track on BORN. Easier to just click through:

http://www.bandofriders.net/forums/s...&postcount=104

So you're definitely doing the garage thing? My decision is driven mostly by wanting to hang with someone, but partly by the idea of being out in the sun, in a leather suit, for two whole days in late July....

Ant is going to be outdoors. Jay's just doing one day and will probably be outside too.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #141
Bigballsofpaint

Ill more than likely just bring my canopy and a packed cooler. Tossing up if i should go sunday and stay the night but i more than likely wont.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:23 PM   #142
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Out in the sun?.... lol, ummmm no. Between my trailer and the ez-up 10x10, I aint bakin' in the sun.

If you wanna do the garage thing, that is cool. Let's do a garage.

But it may be all for nadda... I haven't bought my spots yet and they seem to be SOLD OUT. Maybe I can catch a cancellation or something.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #143
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

/sigh.....

I tried to register on the TTD forum to post a WTB thread for those dates, ANY group. But... now I have to wait for my account to be approved.

Old June 16th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #144
Bigballsofpaint

I think you can buy the 2 day spot, but not a sunday only. Unless they just sold out this weekend, i bought my spot on sat.

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #145
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
180 on the straight, that's enough for wood. If the RI crew get a track day I might have to venture up. Actually, I'd like to give it a spin just for fun. If I could do CT, NH, NY, NJ, and NC on the same trip in the fall, it would put a smile on my face.

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #146
adouglas
Cat herder

There's an old chestnut about early birds and worms that I could quote, but you already know it....

Time for a show of hands. Quote the post, add your name and other info

Name
Days riding
Arriving
Camp/hotel
Pit (garage or outside)

adouglas (Andrew)
Both days
Sat eve
Camp
Undecided

bigballsofpaint
(Jay)
Mon only
???
???
Outside

Ducati999
(Ant)
???
???
???
Outside

csmith12
(Chris)
Loser
Loser
Loser
Loser

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #147
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
There's an old chestnut about early birds and worms that I could quote, but you already know it....

Time for a show of hands. Quote the post, add your name and other info

Name
Days riding
Arriving
Camp/hotel
Pit (garage or outside)

adouglas (Andrew)
Both days
Sat eve
Camp
Undecided
Who is rew?

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #148
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Things have a funny way of working out....

Old June 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #149
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Who is rew?

Smarta$$.

(My wife calls me that all the time. I take it as a complement. Even by buttocks are intelligent, according to her.)

Old June 16th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #150
Bigballsofpaint

bigballsofpaint - (Jay)
Monday only
Outside with an ez-up (if youd be so kind as to help me set it up)

Old June 20th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #151
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hey guys, any of you on the tonystrackday.com forum? I tried to join to post a WTB thread but seems I can't post anything until my account is approved. I have waited 3 or 4 days now on that approval. Will one of you guys create a WTB thread for ANY group for one of those days or both for me please? I am checking the registration page very frequently just in case a canceled day shows up in the pool to buy.

@ttd - could I trouble you to lemme know if any spots open up for the July Thompson dates please? Pretty please?!?!?!?

Thanks Tony! Hope to see you soon.

Old June 20th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #152
adouglas
Cat herder

Chris, do you want one or both days? I'm on the TTD forum and can post up for you.

However, you might get better results if you join and post at bandofriders.net. It's a Connecticut-based forum and Tony's has a section there. A whole lot of riders going to Thompson are on that forum.

A heads up that they're very rude, in a good-natured way. If you introduce yourself you're likely to be told to go f*ck yourself. It's meant in the best possible way. Good people.

If you like I can post a query there too.

Old June 20th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #153
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Mr. Fist,

I am humbly asking for help here. Honestly, I am already spread a bit thin (my fault). If you would please make the posts for me I would greatly appreciate it. I can pm you my contact info so I can take care of the payment part. I have cash in hand ready to spend.

I will take anything available, one day... both days... any group. I am not picky, I just wanna get up there with you guys. Either way, I am planning to come just to hang out as pit crew, I will bring my bikes just in case though. Like I said, things have a funny way of working out.

Old June 20th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #154
adouglas
Cat herder

Posted in both forums

Quote:
Posting for a friend who wants to come up from Kentucky.

He wants to ride Thompson with us in July and needs a day... either day or both days, any group (I do know he's very experienced so he should be good with black group).

Hit me up with what you've got and I'll put you in contact with him.

Feel free to give him chit for leaving it too long.

andydoug (at) att (dot) net

Old June 20th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #155
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Sorry for the delays on approving... I'm in the middle of a 10 day stretch of trackdays and races.... leaving tomorrow for the NY track (Sunday and Monday).

As for the July dates in CT, the only hope to get in is through a Private Sale - which generally happens in the last week when people find out they cannot make it.

Hope to meet some new faces!

Also, we anticipate all the CT dates selling out early, so consider jumping on the August dates early. If you cannot make it, you'll have no problem selling to someone who waited.
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2014, 02:12 PM   #156
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thank you sir!

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:48 PM   #157
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

signed up for the razee/ttd in september
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:49 PM   #158
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Chris, do you want one or both days? I'm on the TTD forum and can post up for you.

However, you might get better results if you join and post at bandofriders.net. It's a Connecticut-based forum and Tony's has a section there. A whole lot of riders going to Thompson are on that forum.

A heads up that they're very rude, in a good-natured way. If you introduce yourself you're likely to be told to go f*ck yourself. It's meant in the best possible way. Good people.

If you like I can post a query there too.
and New England street riders forum also has TTD as a sponsor and frequent poster (they also auction off days on their occasionally).

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:51 PM   #159
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
180 on the straight, that's enough for wood. If the RI crew get a track day I might have to venture up. Actually, I'd like to give it a spin just for fun. If I could do CT, NH, NY, NJ, and NC on the same trip in the fall, it would put a smile on my face.
Sept 23 is razee/ttd day at CT. Discounted (for up here) at $175, you could also do a day or 2 days before (if you want to destroy some tires). Trying to see if I can get to a NY day too.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:54 PM   #160
backinthesaddleagain

there's some good video of Tony and Ken at Barber where they attended a TD and at NHMS where they've run a ton of them. Even at loudon being tight you can ride around on a 600/750 in 2,3,4th gear but majority of time in 3rd.