Notices

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM   #81
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
Got the lid off a particularly tough pickle jar without calling a plumber.
I don't have a TV so I press random numbers into a calculator to make up for the lack of exercise on a remote.
I think that's enough for one day.

(Though seriously I do, among other enterprises, also run a bicycle company which keeps me pretty fit )
Good boy! Gotta keep those fingertips in shape. What's your routine? What channels, how many reps, time between presses etc?

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM   #82
corksil

@chris -- looks like you've really stepped up your distance over the past two months... 299 miles this month alone and it's not over. Keep up the good work!

There's a bike race here that takes place once a year.. "cycle to the sun" -- you start at sea level and ride to the summit of haleakala. The climb is 10k feet in elevation, I have no idea how many miles. Most people complete it in about 2 hours. Maybe I should try it... that is, if I had a bike.

My neighbor is a bike mechanic, I'll bet he could loan me something.

Some days it just feels like working out is the only thing to do. Some days everything just sucks, and my mood is terrible and I can't get my mind to focus on anything.. so I just go home and lift. It's oddly comforting. Even though it hurts and it's strenuous and tiring and all that... this feeling comes about during lifting "Yes, this is your place in the world. Lift those weights, your punishment and your reward."

Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:46 PM   #83
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Good boy! Gotta keep those fingertips in shape. What's your routine? What channels, how many reps, time between presses etc?
Warm up with low single digits near the bottom end of the keypad, then I go for it and press 9-8-7. That's me for the day.
I never complained about the demise of kick-starters either, but it does give me another couple of button presses a day to keep the thumb muscles toned.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:03 PM   #84
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Nice bike man! Yeah I hope to get some good miles this year as well.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:04 PM   #85
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
10k elevation climbing race? and it's in Hawaii!?! that sounds badass!!!

My mileage has gone up the last two months because I finally have time. I finished up finals in early May. During the school year, it's really hard to fit more than 30-40 miles a week in, and when it's cold/icey/salty/rainy/snowy here from Nov-April, it's really hard to get outside. I spend a lot of time on the trainer in 30 minute increments during those months, or I swim in the pool or run on the indoor track.

I'm enjoying this wonderful thing called sunshine during the summer. Trying to average as close to 100 miles a week as I can manage for the summer.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #86
corksil

Yeah I'm getting sick of that sunshine crap. I had to shut all my windows and pull down all the blinds this morning at 5am because the sunshine crap was waking me up and I was still tired. It's relentless. Every dang day. all day. without fail. it's brutal. i'd be riding right now if it weren't so hot out..

I know how hard it is to make time for fitness -- but like anything in life all it comes down to is priorities. Somehow you've made taking a shower every night and brushing your teeth every morning a priority -- by repeating the same actions again and again. It's the same with working out or riding or running or swimming -- when you consistently force your schedule to make time for it, eventually it just becomes something you do automatically.

I'll bet you don't wake up in the morning and think "AAwwww, I've gotta brush my teeth... AGAIN>?!" -- nope, you just do it on auto pilot. It's the same with my lifting.. I wake up and it's something that I'm just aware of that I will make happen during that day, rain or shine.

Repetition until the activity transcends the level of 'mind.' Until it becomes as much a part of you as your hand or foot. Not something you do, something you _are_.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:46 PM   #87
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Me an Romeo ran a marathon.

On the couch

Snoring like two pigs
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:49 PM   #88
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Me an Romeo ran a marathon.

On the couch

Snoring like two pigs
How did you feel afterwords?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM   #89
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
How did you feel afterwords?
I felt that runner high thing folks talk about, or maybe it was a contact from folks getting high either way it's always great to randomly nap because a puppy is all cuddled on you like your it's bed snoring

Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:09 PM   #90
corksil

Well whatever works I guess. Personally I would prefer to not be a fatass.

I just ran 8.5 miles. Wasn't able to make ten because I went to the beach with someone who didn't have the patience to wait another 15 minutes for me to hit ten miles.

Oh well. Legs currently feeling very nice at the moment. Top of my head is still tingly.

Lifting again tomorrow. The sun sets, the moon rises, and corksil becomes more of a machine.

Old June 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM   #91
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Yeah perhaps my humor was overlooked. I was just pulling your dong. Not that I'm a dong puller or anything. I was just trying to get a rise out of ya... get it? Rising? Dong? Funny?

*crickets in the audience*
Get it, lol. I don't know why I thought you were serious.. I guess I'm used to the body building forum where new members would join all the time and expect to get huge 18+ inch arms just by doing dumbbell curls 3 times a week and eating tons of hot dogs (I am completely 100% serious, there was a 14 year old that really posted this over there.)

Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:31 PM   #92
corksil

Heh heh. If only it were that easy.

errybody wants to look like a bodybuilder but nobody wanna lift those heavy ass weights.

I should get some creatine, I stopped taking it a while ago and didn't really notice any difference, but I never took much.

Hot tip - if it won't dissolve in water, microwave the cup for 30s to warm it a little and it will dissolve properly.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:40 AM   #93
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I definitely don't want to look like a body builder! :P

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #94
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Ever wonder what corkstem looks like? So stuck on himself but so afraid to post pics... I bet nickGpass is more built

Old June 24th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #95
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
@EternalNewb, its good you got your workout in but be careful to not overdo it. I used to be so compulsive in my workouts I would injure myself. Then you can't work out wile you recover or are limitied in what you can do.
Thanks, I appreciate it very much. Don't worry, I've gotten a lot better at knowing my thresholds for injury. A lot of my workouts work around or are at least mindful of injuries. Like you said, it isn't worth it if you injure yourself and take yourself out of the action. I keep explaining that to a guy I know who pushes too hard, injures himself, then has to spend a couple weeks on the bench. It's just not worth it.

Glad to see everyone is keeping with it and pushing themselves.

Spent the last few days on the bicycle climbing hills and dealing with a bit of sand. Yesterday was 20 minutes of cardio, followed by weights and body weight circuits. Then it was swordwork, kata, and some time with the bag, basically until something interrupted. Gotta make up for that interruption today. Also have to make up for the grandma-force-fed kamatama udon snack. Ugh. Obaachan will be the omnipresent bump in my dietary goals of cleanliness.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #96
corksil

Heh heh. Well atleast you're mindful of it, which is 99% of the battle.

Scotoma -- A blind spot.

Quote:
Every normal mammalian eye has a scotoma in its field of vision, usually termed its blind spot. This is a location with no photoreceptor cells, where the retinal ganglion cell axons that compose the optic nerve exit the retina. This location is called the optic disc. There is no direct conscious awareness of visual scotomas. They are simply regions of reduced information within the visual field. Rather than recognizing an incomplete image, patients with scotomas report that thing "disappear" on them.
I find the progression of the human spirit through life not unlike the path of travel of a guided missile. The missile cannot program itself. All the data and programming in the world cannot account for gusts of wind, patches or warmer/cooler air along the flight-path.. The only way the missile can reach it's target is to begin moving toward it. As it encounters obstacles or resistance, it gathers feedback and collects data -- then makes an educated calculation based on the data collected -- and it corrects it's trajectory.

Navigating life is no different. Until you start moving in the wrong direction, you will not know until you gather feedback telling you how to get back on course.

Pain is a very basic example of the feedback. Don't sit down, don't give up and fall out of the sky, just take the data into account and correct your course.

When it comes to lifting -- bad pain is pain that sticks around when you're done working out. Lingering pain. Good pain is pain that dissipates along with the lactic acid after a workout and gets replaced by a feeling of "Mmmmmmm, that's niiiiice."

Keep up the good work everyone! Tomorrow I'm looking forward to lifting heavy again.

Don't forget your multivitamin!

Old June 25th, 2014, 02:37 AM   #97
Ninjinsky

For counterpoint I am in my mid 60's I am not overweight The doc says my heart and arteries are fine (and he has not recommended any tattoos thus far )
I have no trouble with arthritic joints or sport injuries.
I do no sports and my total exercise consists of occasional cycle rides and skiing when I get the chance.

I believe the only evolutionary need to run is short sprints to escape predators. There is absolutely no biological imperative for humans to need to run long distances, nor are they designed to. A couple of African tribes do it for 'run down hunting' but most of humanity does not and has not. No animal does under normal conditions
Even a horse can only gallop 2-3 miles
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=529452

Jogging was originally meant to be a light mix of brisk walking and gentle running, not a pre breakfast marathon!
Cue macho man to subvert it
Like lycra lout cyclists, runners tend to get adrenalized and hyperactive when they get back and can't do a meaningful or subtle conversation for 20 minutes till they calm down
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_addiction

The healthiest older people I know are not the ones who exercise, they are the ones who do yoga.

Old June 25th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #98
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

@Ninjinski, While I agree excessive exercise can be unhealthy and damaging, exercise within moderation and with healthy goals is still very beneficial. ( not that you are saying that exercise is all bad!) . I too am in my mid 60's and while I have modified my lifelong exercise regime to meet my needs I still have a great passion for exercise. I realize I have some compulsive tendencies about my workouts and have occasionally suffered for them. But I have also learned from this and have modified my routine accordingly. I would have to say that my early realization of the value of physical exercise ( actually the whole idea of setting goals and working diligently to achieve them ) has been a key factor in my success, happiness and quality of life.

While I'm not into body-building or long distance running, mainly due to their limited benefit to optimal health, I have great respect for those who pursue these sports just as I respect anyone who pursues a postive goal with passion.

It has been my experience that the healthiest and happiest older people are those who make an effort to be physically active. I would argue that yoga practioners are also exercisers .

Old June 25th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #99
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Ever wonder what corkstem looks like? So stuck on himself but so afraid to post pics... I bet nickGpass is more built
He is built a lot like you.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #100
Ninjinsky

Indeed Greenaero I am not against exercise so much as against macho excess
In the same way I am not against dieting but against anorexia
It is basically a problem of things tipping into compulsive disorder.

Much exercise can be incorporated into everyday life. stairs over elevators is a classic.
You need about one hour a day, that's all. then it is diminishing returns. Here is an interesting study, if you look at the chart 10 hours a week prolongs life expectancy 4 years adding another 20 hours to make 30 hours a week! will only gain you another year.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/stor...ise-is-enough/

Old June 25th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #101
corksil

Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

I agree about the human body being biologically maladapted to running long distances. Running is for escaping predators, up to a quarter mile at the most.

That's why I run in the sand on the beach, because it's much easier on the joints than running on a hard surface like tarmac.

And sometimes after a quarter mile, I can still hear the monsters chasing me so I don't stop. Sometimes I get all the way to 12 miles before I escape them.

Excessive exercise a sign of mental instability? Who knew. I may be crazy, but I'm bigger than you, stronger than you, and if I don't like what you think, I'll push you down in a mud puddle and all the other kids will laugh.

I'm not speaking literally, but there's something about being in god-mode-fitness-status that just cannot be described. Most people will never experience it. Those who have, know it's indescribable. To love your body and be perfectly content with it, but continue to train and grow just for the hell of it. "Let's see how far we can take this.."

Good posts guys, time to find something for breakfast, then do my lifting and get on with the day. It's raining outside, I guess I will be lifting in the rain. Oh well. I'm waterproof. Wouldn't be the first time.

Old June 25th, 2014, 12:16 PM   #102
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Yesterday, I did:
20 45# bar overhead situps
20 45# good mornings
Then
Overhead Press:
10,8,6,4,3,2 40-80% max with handstand hold in between sets 15s.
Then
Run 400
10 Dead lift @ body weight(185)
40 lateral Jumps over the bar
x3 For time. 8:08.

Going to work out in 3 hours.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #103
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Obsession is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

I agree about the human body being biologically maladapted to running long distances. Running is for escaping predators, up to a quarter mile at the most.

That's why I run in the sand on the beach, because it's much easier on the joints than running on a hard surface like tarmac.

And sometimes after a quarter mile, I can still hear the monsters chasing me so I don't stop. Sometimes I get all the way to 12 miles before I escape them.

Excessive exercise a sign of mental instability? Who knew. I may be crazy, but I'm bigger than you, stronger than you, and if I don't like what you think, I'll push you down in a mud puddle and all the other kids will laugh.

I'm not speaking literally, but there's something about being in god-mode-fitness-status that just cannot be described. Most people will never experience it. Those who have, know it's indescribable. To love your body and be perfectly content with it, but continue to train and grow just for the hell of it. "Let's see how far we can take this.."

Good posts guys, time to find something for breakfast, then do my lifting and get on with the day. It's raining outside, I guess I will be lifting in the rain. Oh well. I'm waterproof. Wouldn't be the first time.

You smoke, one of the worst things you can do to yourself. You are young and emotionally think you are indestructible. Intellectually you know this is not true but you are acting on your emotions and poisoning yourself. There is no healthy smoking in moderation. You are doing damage that will never get repaired.

Your addiction to nicotine shows you are weak.

Old June 25th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #104
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
He is built a lot like you.
He is wasting his thyme doing all this lifting an running then

Old June 25th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #105
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Corky, I like this thread. Prepare for my biking junk

Been doing some biking, no running so far this summer. Biking is more fun. I bike to work, I bike for workout, I bike when I'm bored. My 5'9" 130lb self just likes biking. I held my own in soccer when I played club teams and whatnot, but biking is so much more fun. Don't forget, it's always about mind over matter. If you bonk when you're 8 miles from home, you still have to get home.

Here's what I was up to yesterday:
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3457587
Today looks like some MTB action is in the werkz. Lots of rain lately, but the trails have drained quickly (allegedly).

@NDspd, I love the Allez. I've worked on a bunch of those at work. They're really great bikes. The metal work on those frames is impressive, especially in the elite, expert, and race spec levels.

Here's my roadie setup. 2014 Giant Defy 1. 1000 miles on it right now. Hoping to get to 2000 by the end of summer.
I use MapMyRide to track my rides, although I suspect the GPS in the iPhone really isn't all that accurate.

http://www.mapmyride.com/my_home/#user_dashboard

I didn't ride Monday since I wasn't feeling well, although I did my weights in the afternoon (I was feeling better by then). Today was a shorter ride than usual, since I was dropping my car off for an oil change.

Going to be a pleasant ride home in the rain this afternoon. Then weights and some time with the heavy bag.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #106
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Thanks, I appreciate it very much. Don't worry, I've gotten a lot better at knowing my thresholds for injury. A lot of my workouts work around or are at least mindful of injuries. Like you said, it isn't worth it if you injure yourself and take yourself out of the action. I keep explaining that to a guy I know who pushes too hard, injures himself, then has to spend a couple weeks on the bench. It's just not worth it.

Glad to see everyone is keeping with it and pushing themselves.

Spent the last few days on the bicycle climbing hills and dealing with a bit of sand. Yesterday was 20 minutes of cardio, followed by weights and body weight circuits. Then it was swordwork, kata, and some time with the bag, basically until something interrupted. Gotta make up for that interruption today. Also have to make up for the grandma-force-fed kamatama udon snack. Ugh. Obaachan will be the omnipresent bump in my dietary goals of cleanliness.
Will your grandma adopt me?

Old June 25th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #107
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Will your grandma adopt me?
Dude, you don't know the half of it. I drove us and one of my friends to Marukai (Japanese super market), and she not only paid for my friend's lunch, but ALL of her groceries, as well as some items which she transferred from her own bundles to my friend's. I just wish she'd buy my groceries,
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #108
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
here is todays workout:
4 minute plank
then
10 min every minute on the minute
2 squat cleans then 2 front squats 145#(60% max clean)
then
100 Double Unders
25 overhead squats @95#
25 Pull Ups
run 200
for time: 6:58

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #109
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
I use MapMyRide to track my rides, although I suspect the GPS in the iPhone really isn't all that accurate.
I can't see your dashboard because I don't have an account there.

But the GPS thing. There's some debate there. The iPhone actually has a legitimate GPS unit in it, it does not just rely upone wifi and triangulation. The real magic comes in the data filtering after you submit a ride to Strava or MapMyRide. Know how it usually takes a few minutes until the numbers stop changing? that's how long it takes to run through their servers and their software and smooth out the data. Filtering programs are pretty cool, and depending on what's allowed to pass and be considered 'good' data, your numbers change in accuracy. So I'd be more interested in their filters than the GPS unit itself.

Old June 25th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #110
kfilla
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Looket thees dang apes leapin around like they aint got none fvcks to give...

Excuse me while I jump over a car.

Last time I checked my broad jump was 11' 4" does that make me an ape too??? I could hang around eating bananas all day.
kfilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 07:30 PM   #111
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I just got blown out the water today when I tried on Chamois cream and clipless pedals. I can not believe how much more efficient each "stroke" is and how precise everything feels.

As for the Chamois cream, I'm trying out "DZ Nuts", I won't go into details, but my god does it work!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #112
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Chamois cream. lol. I don't use any of that. I've never had soreness issues like that. I just wear my bibs and jersey, no cream.

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #113
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Chamois cream. lol. I don't use any of that. I've never had soreness issues like that. I just wear my bibs and jersey, no cream.
I don't need the chamois cream....cuz I ride a recumbent.

I do love being clipless though, and leg suck is a major issue on 'bents, so it's pretty much required.

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #114
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalNewb View Post
Dude, you don't know the half of it. I drove us and one of my friends to Marukai (Japanese super market), and she not only paid for my friend's lunch, but ALL of her groceries, as well as some items which she transferred from her own bundles to my friend's. I just wish she'd buy my groceries,
I get it. My mother in law is Philipino, and when I go to visit (just me, mind you), she makes enough food for about 40 people.....

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #115
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yepp, I'm well aware of the issues with riding recumbent. Built one as part of school project.

You build up butt callouses after a while. I don't actually get uncomfortable without the chamois now, but I do appreciate it. I certainly don't need numbing cream for the gents

Old June 26th, 2014, 02:36 AM   #116
corksil

Quote:
You smoke, one of the worst things you can do to yourself. You are young and emotionally think you are indestructible. Intellectually you know this is not true but you are acting on your emotions and poisoning yourself. There is no healthy smoking in moderation. You are doing damage that will never get repaired.

Your addiction to nicotine shows you are weak.
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Not everyone who smokes is 'trying to quit' -- 'hopelessly addicted' -- "needs to turn their life over to a higher power and admit defeat.'

Same way not everyone who enjoys a few beers is a raging drunk who is beyond all hope of ever living a normal life.

Smoking is an activity that I choose to partake in. Just as riding a motorcycle carries known risks, the pleasure it affords me in regard to taking those risks outweighs the potential negative consequences.

Same with cigarettes.

As with any relationship, personal or professional, private or public, with an inanimate object or otherwise -- when the pain exceeds the pleasure, the use has become abuse and it's become more toxic than beneficial to the organism.

I smoke, I drink, and I do lots of other things that the general public has been conditioned to believe are self-destructive regardless of any level of personal moderation. And you know what? I put in the work to offset the negative consequences and I enjoy every cigarette, every beer, and every hit of all of the other stuff to my hearts content.

Does that make you angry? I'm not like I used to be in my younger years, because I realized that I was on the fast track to killing myself prematurely, but god damn this stuff is still fun as long as you keep a handle on it.

Same difference -- the bike you choose to ride can kill you in an instant if you don't keep it under control. But you keep it under control and you reap the joy that riding it brings.

Old June 26th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #117
corksil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
here is todays workout:
4 minute plank
then
10 min every minute on the minute
2 squat cleans then 2 front squats 145#(60% max clean)
then
100 Double Unders
25 overhead squats @95#
25 Pull Ups
run 200
for time: 6:58
Nice! I put in a hard weight workout today as well.. situps pushups pullups compund lifts dips rows... all that good stuff.

Here's to living life with god-mode cheat codes enabled!

Quote:
I can't see your dashboard because I don't have an account there.

But the GPS thing. There's some debate there. The iPhone actually has a legitimate GPS unit in it, it does not just rely upone wifi and triangulation. The real magic comes in the data filtering after you submit a ride to Strava or MapMyRide. Know how it usually takes a few minutes until the numbers stop changing? that's how long it takes to run through their servers and their software and smooth out the data. Filtering programs are pretty cool, and depending on what's allowed to pass and be considered 'good' data, your numbers change in accuracy. So I'd be more interested in their filters than the GPS unit itself.
I'll add that I was never really into running. It was just something I did, until one day some one asked me how far I went and I realized that I had no clue.

It was a long day, so I looked it up on google maps and amazed myself by learning that I ran almost 15 miles... Never occurred to me to check the distance before, but when I did... wow. That was motivating.

I should turn on the pedometer in my phone and see how that data compares to the satellite imagery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfilla View Post
Last time I checked my broad jump was 11' 4" does that make me an ape too??? I could hang around eating bananas all day.
Bro, as long as you stay in shape, you can hang around eating whatever you want all day and no one will judge you and you will continue to feel indestructible. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
I just got blown out the water today when I tried on Chamois cream and clipless pedals. I can not believe how much more efficient each "stroke" is and how precise everything feels.

As for the Chamois cream, I'm trying out "DZ Nuts", I won't go into details, but my god does it work!
It puts the lotion on it's skin....

Quote:
...or it gets the hose again.

Good work everyone! Here's to a long run tomorrow!

Old June 26th, 2014, 04:28 AM   #118
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Not everyone who smokes is 'trying to quit' -- 'hopelessly addicted' -- "needs to turn their life over to a higher power and admit defeat.'

Same way not everyone who enjoys a few beers is a raging drunk who is beyond all hope of ever living a normal life.

Smoking is an activity that I choose to partake in. Just as riding a motorcycle carries known risks, the pleasure it affords me in regard to taking those risks outweighs the potential negative consequences.

Same with cigarettes.

As with any relationship, personal or professional, private or public, with an inanimate object or otherwise -- when the pain exceeds the pleasure, the use has become abuse and it's become more toxic than beneficial to the organism.

I smoke, I drink, and I do lots of other things that the general public has been conditioned to believe are self-destructive regardless of any level of personal moderation. And you know what? I put in the work to offset the negative consequences and I enjoy every cigarette, every beer, and every hit of all of the other stuff to my hearts content.

Does that make you angry? I'm not like I used to be in my younger years, because I realized that I was on the fast track to killing myself prematurely, but god damn this stuff is still fun as long as you keep a handle on it.

Same difference -- the bike you choose to ride can kill you in an instant if you don't keep it under control. But you keep it under control and you reap the joy that riding it brings.
The answer I expected from you. I would have been disapointed with any other answer. Guess the river:

Old June 26th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #119
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I walked over 10 miles today... So sweaty my Mohawk fell over
An lifted heavy stuff, an yea I'm so sexy I can't date anyone

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #120
corksil

Quote:
The answer I expected from you. I would have been disapointed with any other answer. Guess the river:
Well then! I am most certainly glad that you are pleased! After all, I do everything in my day to day life for the sole purpose of pleasing others!

Once again I'd like to re-iterate. I am pleased that you are pleased. And it pleases me that you are pleased.

Would you like a beer? Or are you one of those newage pseudospiritual intellectual byproducts of human waste that things smoking and drinking and imbibing mind-adulterants to be a mark of the beast and unholy in the eyes of god?

Lighten up dude...

We're all friends here. I'll give you a beer if you can recite the pledge of allegiance without googling it on your iphone..

Oh right this is the fitness thread... not the bashing-on-people-because-they-can-run-farther-and-jump-higher-and-lift-heavier-weights-than-you thread.

Tomorrow is lifting heavy, maybe some cardio. Supposed to be a rest day, but it seems you just can't keep a big dog down.