ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Notices

View Poll Results: How long after you got the bike did you drop/crash it?
within the first week 174 18.16%
within the first month 179 18.68%
within 6 months 201 20.98%
within the first year 66 6.89%
within the first five years 40 4.18%
I crashed after 5 years of owning my ninjette 5 0.52%
I've never dropped it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 293 30.58%
Voters: 958. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #81
jfauerba
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '09 Red Ninja 250r

Have not crashed/dropped mine YET. Took MSF class 11/08 (never sat on a motorcycle before that), Got my 09 and my license same month. Got 8,200 under my belt so far. Had 4 close calls all within the first 8 months:
1. souped up old Honda pulled out in front of me, first and only time I locked the front brakes
2. turn bike around in parking lot at less than 1 MPH and grab the front break on full locked turn. I almost was not strong enough to stop it from falling
3. I was on a city road, past a old guy on the left while I was in the left turn lane, as I was slowing to make a left, he pulls up with his drivers door next to me and then merged into my lane. Luckily nobody was coming the other way.
4. exit ramp with to ramps come down to two lanes with a V just before they merged followed another car (target fixation) off into the V doing about 10MPH which was very bumpy and grab my break. Weaved a lot but kept it up.

Remember there are two kinds of riders, ones that have dropped/crashed, and ones that have not dropped/crash YET.
jfauerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #82
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfauerba View Post
Have not crashed/dropped mine YET. Took MSF class 11/08 (never sat on a motorcycle before that), Got my 09 and my license same month. Got 8,200 under my belt so far. Had 4 close calls all within the first 8 months:
1. souped up old Honda pulled out in front of me, first and only time I locked the front brakes
2. turn bike around in parking lot at less than 1 MPH and grab the front break on full locked turn. I almost was not strong enough to stop it from falling
3. I was on a city road, past a old guy on the left while I was in the left turn lane, as I was slowing to make a left, he pulls up with his drivers door next to me and then merged into my lane. Luckily nobody was coming the other way.
4. exit ramp with to ramps come down to two lanes with a V just before they merged followed another car (target fixation) off into the V doing about 10MPH which was very bumpy and grab my break. Weaved a lot but kept it up.

Remember there are two kinds of riders, ones that have dropped/crashed, and ones that have not dropped/crash YET.
You keep driving like that you will drop it eventually, but I don't think everybody rides like that so the yet doesn't apply to them, just you

2. did they teach you that in the MSF, when turning slowly grab a bunch of front brake? Or did they teach you not to do that?
3. shows poor planning, apart from being illegal where I'm from, common sense should tell you if your exiting a road left or right you don't expect to be overtaken on the side your exiting too. As a motorcyclist you should know not to overtake people or sit in their blind spot in such situations
4. yet more poor planning, not looking far enough ahead to read the road. I mean its pretty hard to drive of the road if your looking more than a few feet in front of your front wheel. If you can't see for some reason you should be backing of from whatever is obstructing your view (2 second rule?)

1. after seeing 3 and 4, this could have been the same, not anticipating a junction, therefore not anticipating traffic exiting the junction. But lets forget this one and worry about 2,3,4 before you have another close call.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:51 AM   #83
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

You ride a bike long enough you will cash it. Just like driving a car long enough but 50% more chance. Just a matter of finding that little slippery patch that you were too confident you wouldn't crash to notice. It only took me 20,000 miles to get confidence that was stripped right back from me in 3 seconds flat.

That said I never crashed either of my 600's in the twisties like I did the ninjette. I know I got low on those bikes too. In fact I rode them much more wrecklessly and they were much more forgiving.
This isn't the only forum full of people dropping their bikes. The old gsxr forums used to have members dropping and dissapearing on a daily basis.
Posted via Mobile Device
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #84
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfauerba View Post
I almost was not strong enough to stop it from falling
This type of thing is why I believe every motorcyclist should stay in shape. I've had a couple close calls where the only thing stopping me from dropping was the strength of my legs.

I can't help but find it funny that one of Ninjette's "most aged" members is probably among the top 5% of the most in-shape people on the forum.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #85
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

Once most bikes gets past a certain point, it is going down and there ain't nothing stopping it (but the ground).
And you're more likely to just hurt yourself once it gets there, no matter how 'strong' your legs are.

Keeping in shape is very beneficial for riding, however it just isn't going to help very much in that situation....
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:14 AM   #86
Flow
ninjette.org guru

That doesn't make it impossible or even improbable to stop the bike before it hits that "point of no return."

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #87
Mista Bob
Über n00b

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Triumph TT600, Honda NS50F, Kawasaki ZZR-250 (sold)

You would be 100% correct, however I'd say that would come down more to 'rider skill'.
Although with enough skill/practice you shouldn't be having to do that in the first place anyways.
Mista Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #88
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Guess that's completely true.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #89
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
You ride a bike long enough you will cash it..
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess if you haven't crashed yet, you better stop riding, while you're ahead.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #90
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

I bumped mine into a table inside my garage / shop. The hard sharp corner punched a little triangle shaped hole in the upper fairing.

I had it for about 1 month at that point.

I don't know if that counts as a drop or crash or not. That is the only ding so far.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #91
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I guess if you haven't crashed yet, you better stop riding, while you're ahead.
You haven't lived until you've taken chances. =)
Posted via Mobile Device
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #92
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Well, it took me around two months to drop my current bike. For some reason that I don't remember, I was rushing to dismount and pick something up- I think I forgot something for work or something- anyways, I put down the kickstand but I guess I didn't fully lock it into place, so when I started leaning it over and started to get off without even making sure it was stable, the stand slid right back up and the bike went right down. I held it at knee level for a few seconds before my arms gave and set it down. My indicators (stock at the time) pushed in the fairing and left a pretty annoying crack. I now always give my kickstand another kick before I let it down

I've since lowsided in a mountain (about 1 month after that) and dropped it at a near standstill backing it out of my driveway (about 2 months after that). I'd say my bike has not had an easy life since it met me ^^;

At the very least, I've always dropped it on the same side. I'm slowly checking off my list of n00b mistakes that I haven't made yet. But, uh, I give it lots of love for seeing me through my stupid, clumsiness. I've ridden more than three times the distance as the previous owner in the same amount of ownership time, so my bike finally gets to know what the road looks like from all angles (including being totally parallel with it)! And I get to learn how to repair stuff! And chicks dig scars, right? Wait, that one doesn't really help me.... Err, I'm a fan of the bright side
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:53 PM   #93
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
Once most bikes gets past a certain point, it is going down and there ain't nothing stopping it (but the ground).
And you're more likely to just hurt yourself once it gets there, no matter how 'strong' your legs are.

Keeping in shape is very beneficial for riding, however it just isn't going to help very much in that situation....
I can hold my bike an inch from the ground then bring it back up, but if it were maybe 50lbs heavier I don't think I could do it. I would consider myself pretty weak for a dude, so I don't think most guys, and stronger women should have a problem holding up the ninjette.

Old March 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #94
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I can hold my bike an inch from the ground then bring it back up, but if it were maybe 50lbs heavier I don't think I could do it. I would consider myself pretty weak for a dude, so I don't think most guys, and stronger women should have a problem holding up the ninjette.
Yes, but if you add momentum to it from whatever situation we were discussing earlier, that bike's going down unless you can stop it before it's too late.

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #95
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Yes, but if you add momentum to it from whatever situation we were discussing earlier, that bike's going down unless you can stop it before it's too late.
I agree with you there, or if you are standing beside it, and it goes over in the opposite direction.(guilty of this one twice.)

I did have a close call once where I was doing a u turn and I stalled it mid turn, and the bike fell over. I caught it right before it hit the ground, I held it there with the turn signal touching pavement, then pulled it back up and rode away. I've since done that intentionally a few times just showing people how light this bike is.

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #96
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Sounds like one of my close calls. You be careful!

Old March 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #97
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

No droppy here.....my luck will run out soon as the law of averages are against me....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #98
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I remember when the first Kawasaki 1300cc touring bike came out there were special instructions in the manual about how to pick it up if you ever dropped it. It involved some Yoga-like contorted stance and a LOT of effort.
If my lawn is wet just pushing my Ninja into the shed gives me the willies.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #99
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
You haven't lived until you've taken chances. =)
Posted via Mobile Device
This is by someone who has already crashed. What if we don't want to crash?

Old March 25th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #100
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
What if we don't want to crash?
Learn to ride?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #101
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Learn to ride?

Kelly, I'll give it a shot and get back with you should I succeed.

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #102
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Almost dropped my bike after an oil change as I had a block of wood under the kickstand to put it close to vertical so I could get an accurate oil level reading, when walking around the bike I bumped it, just caught it as it started to lean to the right.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #103
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Almost dropped my bike after an oil change as I had a block of wood under the kickstand to put it close to vertical so I could get an accurate oil level reading, when walking around the bike I bumped it, just caught it as it started to lean to the right.
Greg, Harbor Freight, cheap stand, safe, get the hint?

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #104
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Hint taken.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #105
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

left-hand-larry got me last week... :P totalled my poor Squidkiller (RIP) after 20-ish months and 23k miles, but I made it out relatively unharmed, just stiff/sore.

Travis

Old May 31st, 2010, 10:34 PM   #106
03slime250
ninjette.org member

Name: dakota

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

today was my first-
ive had my bike for right at a month, went for my first long ride today with my friend and booked 135 miles in the mountains, everything goes great, come back home and drop it pullin into the driveway lol.....ive got gravel and sand and i pulled in a little fast....i broke the tip off of my clutch lever, twisted my shifter around, flooded the engine and scuffed my knee a little bit.....
03slime250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:27 PM   #107
adri99an

**** happens---you are forgiven!

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #108
Gfortunes
love to ride

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r Ebony/Candy Persimon Red

Had a 1995 ex250 that I had in 2000 laid it down in some sand ond a hidden turn 8 months after I got it and I swear it made me a better rider I have not dropper or laid down the new red/black tribe so knock on wood I hope to be able to say that 10 years from now!
Gfortunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:54 PM   #109
foxpaws
ninjette.org member

Name: elle

Motorcycle(s): 10 kawi ninja 250

dropped my baby last saturday, freeway-to-freeway clover ramp, too wide and into the junk, then tagged the tapered end of the k-rail they installed to keep people from the ramp from flying into traffic...and was very glad there was no traffic. minor injuries to me...havent heard back about the bike yet.
foxpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #110
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I've dropped both of mine...

I low sided on one tough corner in Deal's Gap on "The Dragon" several trips ago. My suspension bottomed out, so I did too. :-) No harm done. Picked her back up and kept going, but it took me another couple of visits to the mountains to get back to the comfort level I had attained predrop. I dropped the 650 once in a parking lot trying to do a stiff U-turn. That's when I learned the hard lesson, "Hey goofball, the bike turns by LEANING, even at 6mph!" Sigh. The lessons we have to learn...the hard way.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #111
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Just dropped mine about 10 min ago. Lesson learned, ALWAYS make sure the kick stand is down when taking the bike off the rear stand.

No damage that I can see on my bike though, however its dark outside. Small scrape/or burn to my leg, not sure which but I felt it when the bike went down.

Oh well, stuff happens.

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #112
kkim

Quote:
Just dropped mine about 10 min ago. Lesson learned, ALWAYS make sure the kick stand is down when taking the bike off the rear stand.
lol... I've done that, too. I was fortunate to catch the bike before it fell over, though.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #113
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

dropped mine today ...

it was raining for 30 seconds, and i tried to stop at a red light ....

front tire lost traction because of oil on the ground...

tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #114
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
lol... I've done that, too. I was fortunate to catch the bike before it fell over, though.
It seemed to drop in slow motion, but I did not seem to realize what had happened until the bike was just about to hit the ground.

I was thinking, hmm I don't remember the bike leaning THAT far over on the kickstand.(still falling), well something seems off, it should have already stopped. OH CRAP I LEFT THE KICKSTAND UP!!1, suddenly everything speeds back up and it hits the ground.

Old June 25th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #115
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
It seemed to drop in slow motion, but I did not seem to realize what had happened until the bike was just about to hit the ground.

I was thinking, hmm I don't remember the bike leaning THAT far over on the kickstand.(still falling), well something seems off, it should have already stopped. OH CRAP I LEFT THE KICKSTAND UP!!1, suddenly everything speeds back up and it hits the ground.
That's why i love my Pitbull foward handle stand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F0043-000LG.jpg (36.5 KB, 237 views)
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #116
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Had my bike for 2500 miles and had not dropped it
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #117
xpandabl3
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Just dropped mine about 4 hours ago. Went too slow for a sharp turn at 20km/h. Dropped it right on the ground. It suffered scratch marks on the right mirror, exhaust muffler, rear brake set and half broken turn signal .
xpandabl3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #118
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
That's why i love my Pitbull foward handle stand
I should splurge on some pitbulls because they are made a few miles from where I live. Right now im using a cheapie Harbor freight stand, that I often have to put bricks on top of the handle to keep it from coming down while im working on the bike.

Old June 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #119
BlueThunder18
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Took my first spill today... I'm in the within 6 months range...but by the slimmest of margins...1 month and 1 day lol. Also hit 1000 miles earlier in the day...going down in mile 1019. Decided to try out a route someone posted here that takes you up around Bear Mountain, through some twisties and then on a dirt road through a park.
I'd say I got about halfway through the dirt road without incident when I came down a steep hill with a sharp curve to the right curve and hit a deep pile of gravel and rocks. Front tire started to slide and down I went on the left side of the bike. Thank god for my gear - particualrly my pants with knee pads and my gloves.
Mirror slightly scratched but moved at the pivot point causing no real damage, left signal popped off (great design!), which I was able to re-attatch with no apparant damage, and am just left with a slight crack in the fairing and a bunch of scratches - although many buffed out so it's not too terrible. Guess I'll stick to the pavement.

This was about a mile later where the dirt road was much more stable so I could stop to assess the damage.

Not too bad after a little work...
BlueThunder18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #120
adri99an

Looks goood! How'd you buff those out? Glad ur okay as well.