ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Sketchy power delivery?

(gpz900r-A1)I was out riding yesterday, and I decided to have a little fun. It's one of those backroad highways with a long straightaway and no cops. Anyway, I got it up to around 130 @8-9k rpm, and I went to slow down. It might be that I let off the throttle too fast, or that I was out of gas, or something (this thing is a gas HOG), but when I got back down to cruising speed (about 60mph @ 5.5k) it started tugging. It would sort of jerk forwards, then let off, then jerk forwards again, etc. My hand wasn't moving on the throttle.
About a minute after that, it cut out. I pulled over, switched to reserve, cranked it for a minute, and went along.

Now. About a mile after that, it started doing the tugging thing again. It COULDN'T be out of gas, and the gas in the tank isn't more than 2 days old. I made it to a gas station, filled up, and then crossed the street to my house. Didn't misbehave at lower rpms, it only seemed to do it at cruising speed.

Any ideas on what could be behind this? I haven't gotten a chance to check the valves or carbs fully yet, I was saving that for a project next week.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That's called surging. That's a symptom of lean fueling.

That can mean 2 things:
1) dirty carbs
2) need to rejet

Since its an unfamiliar carb'd bike, I'm voting for number 1. Checking valves would be a good idea as well.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

One of the carb's airbox boots isn't seated properly on the airbox side (missing the spring wrapped around it). It looks like it's sealed but would that have the same effect? Previous owner lived in alaska. maybe elevation difference?

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes. That will give the same effect by adding extra air to one cylinder. I've experienced that on a ninjette as well. Get that seated properly on the carb and replace the spring if you can. Try a hose clamp or something similar if you can't get your hands on the spring.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

It is also possible for the the bike to slow down while riding on a flat surface if the fuel is too low. The carbs tend not to fill up as fast. I had it happen before. Any amount of throttle more than 1/4, resulted in a non response.

Low gas, go slow.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
It is also possible for the the bike to slow down while riding on a flat surface if the fuel is too low. The carbs tend not to fill up as fast. I had it happen before. Any amount of throttle more than 1/4, resulted in a non response.

Low gas, go slow.
How does that work? Shouldn't the carbs draw the same amount until the gas tank runs dry?

Old August 24th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
How does that work? Shouldn't the carbs draw the same amount until the gas tank runs dry?
The fuel system is a gravity feed system. It requires the weight if the fuel itself to feed the carbs. As the fuel becomes less, the flow can slow. Also if you have a tank venting problem or clogged fuel filter, the same symptoms can result.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
Any ideas on what could be behind this? I haven't gotten a chance to check the valves or carbs fully yet, I was saving that for a project next week.
The poor machine is almost 30 years old !!!

At this point, if the engine is original, some oil should be leaking into the combustion chamber (via rings and valves' guides).
If so, some carbon has been accumulating in there (especially if non-synthetic oil is used).
During some fast ride, the temperature and pressure in there reaches values higher than normal.

That can cause two things:
1) The carbon gets hot-red at crests, sharp edges, etc., becoming little glowing points that induce erratic pre-ignition.
2) Some particles of the burned carbon fly and linger inside the chamber while trying to find the exhaust path. Then, some are attracted by the magnetic field of the sparks, landing between the electrodes and creating a temporary bridge that induces spark failure.

Read more about this phenomena:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_...f_pre-ignition
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

totally forgot about the fuel filter... it's a little metal one that's about as thin as the fuel line. I'll have to grab a new one