ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:48 AM   #1
tmf1423
ninjette.org member

Name: Harry

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Rubber on rubber?

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me.

The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly. It's now attached by just the wire, as the rubber has split
I've temporarily kept it upright by plenty of sellotape, but for a long term fix, is there any way to reattach it without buying a new one?
I have the Kawasaki official mini indicators.. and they're about £87 ($140) JUST for the rear set! Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber. Thought abuot superglue, but I don't know if it would work or not. is there any known way to do this?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in tech talk or farkles,
thanks in advance
tmf1423 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf1423 View Post
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me.

The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly. It's now attached by just the wire, as the rubber has split
I've temporarily kept it upright by plenty of sellotape, but for a long term fix, is there any way to reattach it without buying a new one?
I have the Kawasaki official mini indicators.. and they're about £87 ($140) JUST for the rear set! Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber. Thought abuot superglue, but I don't know if it would work or not. is there any known way to do this?

Wasn't sure whether to put this in tech talk or farkles,
thanks in advance
I would suggest replacing them altogether. Ebay has some cheap aftermarket replacements with LEDs and incandescent bulbs. Nothing would adhere to rubber and evens so, it would just break off again.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:07 AM   #3
tmf1423
ninjette.org member

Okay cheers, it's annoying that it's so much for the rear set. May just replace them with non-kawasaki ones, but that means buying ones for the front aswell.. Ahh well.

thanks!

Old October 23rd, 2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf1423 View Post
..........The other day, my pillion managed to knock off my left rear indicator when not climbing off properly.............Basically I want to know if there is any good way of reattaching rubber to rubber................
Are you sure it is rubber?
It seems that it maybe plastic if you could brake it so easily.

A picture would help us.

For repairing something similar of any material, I would fabricate some internal reinforcement to increase the surface of contact and the strength.

Although it is aggressive to some materials (like Styrofoam), Epoxy adheres to almost anything and is water proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epoxy#Adhesives
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #5
tmf1423
ninjette.org member

I felt like rubber but I didn't check in detail, I wil check again tonight, it may well be plastic. Ill put a pic up too later if I think it'll help