ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 10th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Another bike will crank but won't start thread...

So...I know there's plenty of threads on this and yes, I've read them all. So, as the title states, my bike will crank, but won't start, now, let me explain my situation. My just bought a 2010 250R and the previous owner said he had let it sit for about a year, now when I got the bike, it still ran fine but would only run with the choke on. So, I got it home yesterday and this morning everything worked fine. I took out the carbs to clean them but found that they were already very clean, still, I sprayed some carb cleaner through all the areas anyway since I had the carbs out already. Afterwards, I re-assembled everything and I had to hold the starter for a little while but the bike started right up with the choke on. It would still cut off with the choke off so I turned up the idle knob and it worked fine with the choke off. So, satisfied that everything was working well, I turned off the bike and went to work putting the fairings back on and then took the bike off the stands. After I had cleaned up I went to start the bike to ride it only to have it start for a second and then die, and then after that it now only will crank but won't start. I have already checked all the common issues: fuses, spark plugs, spark in the boot, fuel in the carbs and I hooked up my battery to my car (while it was off) and still no luck. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
remix919 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #2
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (2001)

How long did it sit between it starting with choke and it not starting? I'm assuming not long, from your post. First thought: how is the battery doing? If the battery is weak you could still get spark, but it could have some trouble actually starting.

Also, it's good practice to clean out the jets and the little transition circuit passages with some copper wire or nylon (not steel!) guitar string, since carb cleaner alone can't really get all the deposits off. If you haven't done that already, and if you do end up taking the carbs off again (and hopefully you won't have to), definitely give that a shot.
Yarhj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #3
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarhj View Post
How long did it sit between it starting with choke and it not starting? I'm assuming not long, from your post. First thought: how is the battery doing? If the battery is weak you could still get spark, but it could have some trouble actually starting.

Also, it's good practice to clean out the jets and the little transition circuit passages with some copper wire or nylon (not steel!) guitar string, since carb cleaner alone can't really get all the deposits off. If you haven't done that already, and if you do end up taking the carbs off again (and hopefully you won't have to), definitely give that a shot.
It only sat for maybe 30 minutes max, I put the fairings back on, dropped it from the stands, and then packed up everything and took all my tools and stuff inside, had a quick snack and then came right back out. I think the carbs must have been cleaned recently and maybe the guy didn't know, the carbs were spotless, no gunk whatsoever and I could see through the main pilot hole easily, nothing there. I've read about the battery issue but was hoping someone might have some other idea before I go buy another battery, also, if it was the battery, wouldn't it still be able to start when hooked up to a car's battery for awhile?

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Could always try a little ether/starting fluid. If it starts and runs, but then dies, it's a fuel supply issue. If it doesn't start, that could be an igniting issue. Won't solve it, but gets you closer to finding solution.

Old May 11th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #5
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remix919 View Post
if it was the battery, wouldn't it still be able to start when hooked up to a car's battery for awhile?
If the battery is marginal you should be able to jump it from a car (do not turn the car on!)

If you have a multimeter laying around you can test the battery pretty easily, and if not, they're way cheaper than a new battery.

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #6
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Could always try a little ether/starting fluid. If it starts and runs, but then dies, it's a fuel supply issue. If it doesn't start, that could be an igniting issue. Won't solve it, but gets you closer to finding solution.
I've tried using WD40 directly into the airbox, no luck starting

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #7
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
If the battery is marginal you should be able to jump it from a car (do not turn the car on!)

If you have a multimeter laying around you can test the battery pretty easily, and if not, they're way cheaper than a new battery.
I bought a brand new battery, charged it fully, and then put it in and still no luck

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #8
Yarhj
ninjette.org member

Hmm. Now I'm just grasping at straws, but you could also double-check that the airbox/crankcase vent hose is still attached -- I accidentally knocked mine off once while reinstalling the carburetors, which made it very hard to get the bike started and to keep it running. The vent hose is the S-shaped hose that attaches to the bottom of your airbox (pictured here without the airbox, and with an aftermarket white plastic breather attached to it). And you've already probably done this, but it would be a good idea to double check that the carburetor/airbox boots are securely fastened, with the boot springs in the right place.

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:08 PM   #9
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
bad gas. run a clean tank through, also play with the idle adjuster on the left side of the bike below the tank.

Step 1: Start bike with choke.
Step 2: let bike warm up with choke fully open.
Step 3: Step once RPM is in the 6000 range, reduce choke to off, if it shuts down, repeat step 1.
Step 4: reduce choke down till the RPM is resting around 2000.
Step 5: Adjust Idle screw till the RPM is 4000.
Step 6: Turn off choke.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #10
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Hmm. Now I'm just grasping at straws, but you could also double-check that the airbox/crankcase vent hose is still attached -- I accidentally knocked mine off once while reinstalling the carburetors, which made it very hard to get the bike started and to keep it running. The vent hose is the S-shaped hose that attaches to the bottom of your airbox (pictured here without the airbox, and with an aftermarket white plastic breather attached to it). And you've already probably done this, but it would be a good idea to double check that the carburetor/airbox boots are securely fastened, with the boot springs in the right place.
Nope, still connected, when I took the carbs out I didn't take out the airbox, I just moved the stock airbox back a bit and had enough room to wiggle the carbs out

Old May 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #11
remix919
ninjette.org newbie

My current problem is almost identical to this:

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-problems.html

The only difference is even when I set the fuel to PRI, it still doesn't work, but other than that, it's the same issue, if I let the bike sit for a few hours, I can get it to start after holding the starter for 5-10 sec, but it'll run at high RPM's and then eventually shutdown after a couple min and won't start back up.

That guy ended up having hoses in the wrong place, but I'm pretty sure all my hoses are correct, I've checked them several times. I also took some pics to make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0074.jpg (65.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0075.jpg (46.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0076.jpg (59.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0077.jpg (59.4 KB, 3 views)