ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #1
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Name: Gavin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja EX250

Exclamation No Crank

Hey fellas. I've recently tried to fire up my Ninja, well try is the key word here... After sitting since Dec I try to start it, obviously the battery is dead and I get the relay click and the solenoid whine, well I charge the battery, nothing, I jump it, nothing... I thought at first my starter failed but that isn't the case, when I jump the Starter to the batter the bike runs like a champ... My only real question is is the solenoid toast? I don't hear it whine anymore but still nothing happens, I'm able to ride but having to rig to ride isn't my favorite thing.. What are yall's thoughts?
Gavin_Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2015, 09:51 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Not sure, try jumping across the posts on the top of the solenoid.

If it cranks and starts, could be solenoid is toast.

If nothing happens when you jump out the solenoid, then make sure ALL CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT, CHECK ALL FUSES AS WELL, then test again.

And better plan on buying a new battery, and also get a battery tender too, while your at it, and read up on proper motorcycle storage.

Did you treat the gasoline before storing the bike? If not I see a carburetor cleaning in your future as well.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #3
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Not sure, try jumping across the posts on the top of the solenoid.

If it cranks and starts, could be solenoid is toast.

If nothing happens when you jump out the solenoid, then make sure ALL CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT, CHECK ALL FUSES AS WELL, then test again.

And better plan on buying a new battery, and also get a battery tender too, while your at it, and read up on proper motorcycle storage.

Did you treat the gasoline before storing the bike? If not I see a carburetor cleaning in your future as well.
I've done that and the bike runs... Starter is fine and all the connections appear to be good. Solenoid I think... I stored it with minimal fuel and I've already drained the tank and it has fresh fuel. I do need a battery but I haven't gotten around to getting one yet...

Old March 16th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_Coffey View Post
I've done that and the bike runs... Starter is fine and all the connections appear to be good. Solenoid I think... I stored it with minimal fuel and I've already drained the tank and it has fresh fuel. I do need a battery but I haven't gotten around to getting one yet...
Yup, solenoid it sounds like to me.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old March 16th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #5
Gavin_Coffey
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Yup, solenoid it sounds like to me.
I hope that's it... It's an easy repair... I wonder why it failed, Solenoids are pretty simple, no? Electromagnet and a contact? I hear the relay in the Junction box click but nothing more than that... Anyway I'm going for a ride, starter button or not.

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin_Coffey View Post
I hope that's it... It's an easy repair... I wonder why it failed, Solenoids are pretty simple, no? Electromagnet and a contact? I hear the relay in the Junction box click but nothing more than that... Anyway I'm going for a ride, starter button or not.
Hard to say, some seem to last forever, some don't.

Enjoy the ride.

ZX-2R BLOG