ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #321
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Last futzed with by nattygirl; June 8th, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: duplicate post
nattygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #322
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

So my HID kit finally came in. DDM Tuning is cheap, but takes an extremely long time to ship them out. I got the 35w car kit with slim ballasts. Took over a month for me to receive them, but they're worth it if you have the patience. I started my install today. I haven't finished it yet, but here's what I have so far and what I did to install it. I removed both my side and front fairing for this install.

Here's the stock photo of the kits directly from the ddmtuning.com site.

Here's a pic of the bulbs themselves. They do have an adapter attached to it, so you do not need to create spacers or buy anything additional.

In order to fit the adapter in the headlight, I did have to cut and shave down the corners in order for it to fit in the hole. Very easy to do though.

This is where I mounted my ballasts. Its the two flat bars that are located right below the dash panel. I used both two sided tape and zip ties to secure the ballast to the frame.

Here's another angle. I particularly like the ddm slim ballasts because they are solid black and more discreet looking and do not have any labels stuck to them.

Top view:

This is where I secured the little square box that is attached to the ballast. I used both two sided tape and zip ties to secure it.

that's it for now... to be continued.

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #323
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

While the dash is loose do the diode fix on the turn ind. lamp so you can switch to LED's!
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #324
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

i'll be doing that mod tomorrow. I received the diode kit about a week and a half ago, but was waiting for the hids to come in so I could do them all at the same time. I'm going to be putting in some proton flushmounts as well tomorrow. I also replaced my dash lights with white leds. Makes the blues stand out more.

Old June 9th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #325
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Natalie,

Excellent DIY! I like where you mounted the ballasts, also. Did you have to modify the rubber, shown in the following picture?:

If not, could you post a pic with it in place? Thanks!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #326
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

I haven't worked on that part yet. I still need to fish out the red and black wires that have the blade connectors on them. I'll post more pictures tonight when I finish working on it.

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:01 AM   #327
shadowskater
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Just ordered some DDM's tonight, can't wait to throw them in. I am glad there is so much information in this thread
shadowskater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #328
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattygirl View Post
I haven't worked on that part yet. I still need to fish out the red and black wires that have the blade connectors on them. I'll post more pictures tonight when I finish working on it.
Hi. Would you happen to have an update on your install?

Thank you.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:57 AM   #329
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Sorry, I forgot to come back and finish my write-up. It's been a while, since I finished this mod, but basically, I tried to do it the way OP did, but I ended up tearing one of the black seals that goes around the wires while trying to fish it through. I ended up just taking off both of them and leaving the stock rubber housing the way it came, without cutting anything. I figure, I'm never going to ride my bike in the rain, so water will never be an issue. Plus there's already a pretty good seal there cause the back of the light bulb was pretty flush with the stock housing. Hopefully, it will never be an issue for me.

I'm hopefully going to be dropping my bike pretty soon, so I'll try to remember to take pics of it when I have the bike taken apart.

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #330
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot to come back and finish my write-up. It's been a while, since I finished this mod, but basically, I tried to do it the way OP did, but I ended up tearing one of the black seals that goes around the wires while trying to fish it through. I ended up just taking off both of them and leaving the stock rubber housing the way it came, without cutting anything. I figure, I'm never going to ride my bike in the rain, so water will never be an issue. Plus there's already a pretty good seal there cause the back of the light bulb was pretty flush with the stock housing. Hopefully, it will never be an issue for me.

I'm hopefully going to be dropping my bike pretty soon, so I'll try to remember to take pics of it when I have the bike taken apart.
Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to pictures.

Old August 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #331
g21-30

Quote:
Let's hope you never "drop" your bike!

Old August 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #332
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

would the relay harness that DDM sells prevent the fuse problems that some people are having, and is there really any point to doing the high beam as well? downside is DDM seems to want almost as much for a single light kit as they do for a double so I figure i'd buy the double kit and either keep one as a spare, sell it off, or put it in for highs if I decide later on that i want both
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #333
g21-30

I'm not familiar with the DDM setup, so I can't give you any info. Since the low and high beam are both the same type bulbs, why not purchase a kit similiar to what this DIY is based upon? It's cheap enough so that if you need to replace it later, you can do so without breaking the bank! Mine is still going strong after 4800 miles.

I'm not having the fuse problems, but I have the 35W bulbs, so right off, I'm saving 40W total with both low/high on. I'm able to start up with both lights on and no problem. The ONLY reason I would ever consider NOT installing both bulbs, would be if I wanted to install a high beam modulator. The HID bulbs aren't made for use with a modulator!

The only reason for this upgrade is for improved lighting, so why wouldn't you install both HID bulbs?

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #334
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
would the relay harness that DDM sells prevent the fuse problems that some people are having, and is there really any point to doing the high beam as well? downside is DDM seems to want almost as much for a single light kit as they do for a double so I figure i'd buy the double kit and either keep one as a spare, sell it off, or put it in for highs if I decide later on that i want both
I know on many cars it is recommended to install a relay harness so that (in short) the stock headlight harness triggers the relay which then provides power to the HID ballast DIRECT from the battery. The stock wiring is only meant to provide so much current and upping fuses is generally not recomended.

Is there any particular reason why I dont see this on any of the DIY's out there for the 250? I'm doing my install this weekend or early next week and I'm going to look into adding in a relay. I will let you know how it goes.
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #335
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
I'm not familiar with the DDM setup, so I can't give you any info. Since the low and high beam are both the same type bulbs, why not purchase a kit similiar to what this DIY is based upon? It's cheap enough so that if you need to replace it later, you can do so without breaking the bank! Mine is still going strong after 4800 miles.

I'm not having the fuse problems, but I have the 35W bulbs, so right off, I'm saving 40W total with both low/high on. I'm able to start up with both lights on and no problem. The ONLY reason I would ever consider NOT installing both bulbs, would be if I wanted to install a high beam modulator. The HID bulbs aren't made for use with a modulator!

The only reason for this upgrade is for improved lighting, so why wouldn't you install both HID bulbs?
i was talking to a guy last nite that got a ddm kit for his low beam only, his reasoning is that you can't flick your highs at people with an HID since they don't like to be flicked on and off. Besides that, the low beam on his pretty well dwarfed the high anyway. It's not like it's a lot of extra work, just was wanting peoples opinions

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #336
g21-30

I flick mine all the time with no ill effect. My high and low are the same output, so neither dwarfs the other.

Old August 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #337
kamikaze

Quote:
I flick mine all the time with no ill effect. My high and low are the same output, so neither dwarfs the other.
thanks Now all I gotta do is get them to give me better shipping costs and I'll be ordering a set. $30 to Canada is a rip off

Old August 21st, 2010, 12:37 PM   #338
g21-30

Update "sample kit" ebay listing

In checking my original link and replacement link, it looks like they are both dead, so here is a new one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-C...Q5fAccessories

Buy it now for $5.00 with a $31.99 S&H charge! WOW, the price has really dropped.

Old August 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #339
lux
ninjette.org guru

First I'd like to say Thank you! for the DIYs on fairing removal and HIDs. I have some issues though.
Quote:
... This is where I mounted my ballasts. Its the two flat bars that are located right below the dash panel. I used both two sided tape and zip ties to secure the ballast to the frame.

Here's another angle. I particularly like the ddm slim ballasts because they are solid black and more discreet looking and do not have any labels stuck to them.

Top view:

I have this kit too. I tried mounting the ballasts like in the pictures, but had some issues. So for the right-side ballast I mounted it horizontally. The DDM logo is in the lower right corner (upside down), and I routed the wires through the plastic piece of the gauge cluster. Looks pretty clean, I think. Fork doesn't touch when in full lock.

I tried the same for the left side, but it seems there's less space because of the nut. So I mounted it with the wires facing down, but the fork hits the ballast when in full lock. I tried moving forward and back along the bar, with the DDM logo facing out and in. Doesn't seem to be working. Anyone have any pictures of the left side? Or is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

Is there a preferred brand of double-sided tape? The tape that came with the kit melted within the first ten minutes, and the ballast slipped off. The kit came with 4 short zip ties so I'm using those, what seems like telephone wire, and the melted tape, for now. I thought I had zip ties, but didn't. hehe Anyone use double-sided Velcro?

Thank you for any assistance.

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:22 PM   #340
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

I'll post this again:
http://s678.photobucket.com/albums/v...view=slideshow
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #341
g21-30

This picture from the service manual details where I mounted the ballasts (blue arrows). By putting them here, you do not interfere with the steering and they are hidden from view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID_Mount.jpg (109.1 KB, 22 views)

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM   #342
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
Thanks a lot!
Quote:
This picture from the service manual details where I mounted the ballasts (blue arrows). By putting them here, you do not interfere with the steering and they are hidden from view.
Thank you! The DDM kit doesn't come with brackets but I'm going to try that location.

Old September 1st, 2010, 04:39 AM   #343
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Just some notes for myself.

- Stock halogen bulbs are both H7.

- (ddmtuning.com ) draws less than 6 amps at start up and 3.4 amps at normal operating temperature. This system provides 3200-3400 Lumens at 35 watts and an amazing 5000 Lumens at 55 watts per bulb. In comparison, a typical halogen bulb produces 900-1200 lumens.

What is the difference between 55w and 35w kits?
Our 55w HID kits are 40% brighter than the standard 35w kits.
The 55W system ballasts are about 1 cm longer than the 35W ballasts.
55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit).
Our 55w HID Kit is not recommended for smaller fog light housings because they tend to concentrate a large amount of heat in a small area.

-What are the Factory specs for adjusting the headlights?
HIGH BEAM: ON high beam, the brightest points should be slightly below horizintal with the motorcycle on its wheels and the rider seated. Adjust the healight to the proper angle according to local regulations
LOW BEAM: For US model, the proper angle is 0.4 degrees below horizontal. This is 50 mm (2 in.) drop at 7.6 m (25 ft) measured from the center of the headlight with the motorcycle on its wheels and the rider seated.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...&postcount=134
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:04 AM   #344
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Sorry Lux, I know it's a little late. My left ballast is mounted exactly the same as the right one. Wiring is pointed down. My forks do not hit my ballast at all, even in lock position. Did you get the slim ballast or the regular ones? The regular are a lot bigger. Did you end up installing it the way g21 said?

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM   #345
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sorry Lux, I know it's a little late. My left ballast is mounted exactly the same as the right one. Wiring is pointed down. My forks do not hit my ballast at all, even in lock position. Did you get the slim ballast or the regular ones? The regular are a lot bigger. Did you end up installing it the way g21 said?
No need to apologize, I appreciate that I'm getting a reply. I have the slim ballasts. I kept one ballast mounted like you did yours, and mounted the other one like g21-30. I was going to try to mount both like g21-30, but there didn't seem to be an open space on the left side because of the wires there. I'll play around with it again sometime. hehe Thanks again for your help.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 05:42 AM   #346
g21-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Thanks a lot!

Thank you! The DDM kit doesn't come with brackets but I'm going to try that location.
Sorry for the late response. I don't subscribe to threads, so sometimes I miss replies.

You're welcome.

You can always put a tie-wrap around the ballast (for a bracket) and then thread another tie-wrap to that tie-wrap. It is tight on the left side, but with the front fairing (headlight) off, it is alot easier.

Good luck!

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #347
kamikaze

alright guys, I'm really torn here on what to get.

from what I gather the guys that have the 35w kits aren't having fuse or flickering issues, but I wonder if i'm going thru the trouble of doing this should I go with the 55w kit and a relay harness? I like the price of the 35w kit better, and am wondering if it's really worth the extra cash to go 55w, since the 35w should be a vast improvement over stock. this has been driving me crazy for weeks. i'd hate to be disappointed with the light output of the 35w kit and end up having to buy the 55w ballasts and harness and have to tear everything apart again....

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #348
g21-30

Do you want to power any heated clothing? I use a 77 watt jacket liner and 22 watt glove liners in the winter. The 35 watt bulbs save you 40 watts right away! I still have a 10 amp fuse and can start with both bulbs, but I try not to do so. I also wouldn't go above the 4300k version, as that attracts too much attention.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:08 AM   #349
kamikaze

Quote:
Do you want to power any heated clothing? I use a 77 watt jacket liner and 22 watt glove liners in the winter. The 35 watt bulbs save you 40 watts right away! I still have a 10 amp fuse and can start with both bulbs, but I try not to do so. I also wouldn't go above the 4300k version, as that attracts too much attention.
not concerned with attracting attention, and no i don't plan to use any heated clothing. when it gets cold enough that I feel like I need to plug something in to keep warm i'll probably park it.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM   #350
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
not concerned with attracting attention,
cops don't care about aftermarket HIDs where you're at?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #351
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
cops don't care about aftermarket HIDs where you're at?
nah. local city cops might hassle you about them if they are pulling you over for something else, but they generally leave you alone unless you're driving like an idiot. a buddy of mine used to have a set of 8000k in his sunfire (no projectors, just halogen reflectors) and they were friggin bright. never once got a ticket for them in 3 or 4 years. hell, I used to have a underbody neon kit on my car and never got pulled over for it, and it was really bright. my car used to look like a UFO going down the highway lol

I was planning to go with 5000k bulbs on a 55w kit or 4300k on a 35w kit.

Old September 25th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #352
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

So I installed HID in my bike (that was just one big PITA). But I couldn't make a spacer out of the spacer that the bulbs had and I also didn't have the patience to go buy some big washers and shave the crap out of them (and it was really late). So you know that rubber thing that the wires go through? well I tightened that thing all the way to the bulb then crushed it under the wire that secures the bulb. Seems to work fine that way so do you think there is anything I should worry about in doing that? It seems pretty watertight. Here are pics too (they kinda suck though)...Thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0045.jpg (78.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0048.jpg (104.2 KB, 18 views)

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #353
g21-30

Pics are too blurry for these old eyes!

Old September 26th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #354
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

My phone sucks... well how about these a little bit fixed. And pointing to where those rubber parts are clamped with the headlights. Where the green arrow points is where I pulled the wires out and then pushed the headlights stock rubber housing tight on it (I didn't cut it). The red arrows point to where the wire clamps for the bulb are hitting the rubber piece the bulbs come with. Seems pretty stable just want to know some opinions on whether its relatively watertight and will last a long while like this. Seems like it would
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0045.jpg (83.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0048.jpg (98.1 KB, 13 views)

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #355
g21-30

You might consider putting some rubber epoxy around the wires/rubber fitting. YMMV Not a lot of water gets in there, anyway.

Old September 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #356
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
You might consider putting some rubber epoxy around the wires/rubber fitting. YMMV Not a lot of water gets in there, anyway.
Coo thanks! I decided I would just test it out and spray water at it while I was washing the bike (not a lot though) and it came out fine. And you are right that not a lot of water gets up there in any case.

Old November 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #357
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Finally got to taking the front end of my bike off. Here's some pics of the back of my headlights. When I initially installed them, I ended up tearing the seal on the left side (shown in pic) so it doesn't have it, but the right does. I just tucked in the seal piece into the back and it stays in place pretty good.

As for the left side that got cut off, the back of the hid does sit pretty flush with the rubber piece that comes on the headlight. I don't see any water making its way into there. You could probably get away with cutting off the rubber pieces on the hid wiring altogether.

Old December 25th, 2010, 02:27 PM   #358
sharkie308
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Buell XB12R (his), 2010 Ninja 250(hers)

Just got done installing the ddm kit on cindy's bike. Total install time at about an hour and a half. On a side note i've installed the ddm kit on my Buell.
sharkie308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM   #359
kamikaze

i got a ddm kit for xmas, so next nice day i get i'll have to head out to the garage

I still want to do the projector retro, i'm just having trouble finding a spare headlight housing cheap that i can tear apart.

Old December 28th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #360
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Found this HID Bi-Xenon thread for the '06 Ninja 650R. The headlight looks similar to the '08+ Ninja 250R.

"Newest Mod....a few pics (projector headlamps w/CCFL rings)"
http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=53770
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote