ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:31 AM   #1
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Name: jOE

Motorcycle(s): none yet (getting a 250R)

shim-shimminy, shim-shimminy, shim & exhaust REPORT

Two shims and a full cheapo, used (but never installed) exhaust installed AND the Rear Suspension adjusted from 1 to 5, since I weigh 240 (5'10").
REPORT!

First the GOOD:

1. It SOUNDS SO GREAT--it growls and grumbles like the Norse god of thunder after 50 bean enchiladas.
2. The throttle response, so far, seems to be a LOT smoother. SOOO amazingly smooth! The dead spot from 7.5 to 9.5K rpm is GONE.
3. Suspension does feel MUCH better. Not a lot of room in there and the spanner only let me tighten it half-a-notch at a time, but a super EASY adjustment.

Now the ISSUES:

1. Two fuel lines probably aren't on quite as good as they were before (since the wire-tightener is choked up almost in between the tube and receptacle). One is the smaller of the two pet-cock lines. The other is the one that attaches to the forward left side of the tank. What are these two lines?

2. The new exhaust can rubs the swing-arm a TINY bit (not REALLY the swing-arm so much as the brake-line steel bracket, which is just hitting the mounting strap that goes around the exhaust). I figure let it rub it...not a biggie.

3. IT DIED on me on the way home...4-5 minutes into an 18 minute ride, while decelerating down a hill (the ONLY hill). I roll started it by shifting down and popping the clutch, but it died again as I got to the bottom of the hill. However, after sitting on the side of the road in not the best part of town at 3am and failing to get it restarted, I eventually gave it full choke and it started back up...ran great the rest of the way home. COULD it have been an AIR BUBBLE in the line?

4. I got the radio shack multipack but realized that the #4 were A LOT smaller than I thought--I'm ASSUMING they were the second from the smallest, right?! Hope so. It said, #2, 4, 6, 8 and 10, but I couldn't differentiate between the large ones (the 6, 8 and 10s). My #4 was the 2nd from the smallest with an inner diameter of .123 inches.

5. I set the tank gently down on his garage floor, careful not to scratch it, but it was balancing on the petcock (didn't see that was a no-no until tonight).

-- NOTE:
It took 5 hours in all (with a competent helper). Definitely wouldn't have done it on my own unless I had an afternoon to myself. Props to Arin!
I will have a full report on the performance soon--gonna have a guy come over with an air/fuel gauge and see what he thinks within a week or two.
Next projects: Oil change, then TIRES!!

FINAL QUESTIONS:
(a) Also, um, can I buy more of those plastic punch-pin thingys at Lowes? I broke one or two messing with the fairing.
(b) When the bike is on the kickstand, there is NO oil visible in the window--when upright, it's half full. Is that right or is it low? Seems like they should make it where you can see it without having to be sitting on the bike
evi1joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:59 AM   #2
michelsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Michel

Motorcycle(s): zx 250 R

The exhaust for my 250R Ninja bike were purchased from http://www.motorcycle-exhaust-shop24.com/Motorcycle_Brand/10826__Kawasaki_ZX_250_R_Ninja.html, they guys that work there are incredible, know every product they sell in and out and are willing to spend time with you figuring out what's best for your application.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:34 AM   #3
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
Two shims and a full cheapo, used (but never installed) exhaust installed AND the Rear Suspension adjusted from 1 to 5, since I weigh 240 (5'10").
REPORT!

First the GOOD:

1. It SOUNDS SO GREAT--it growls and grumbles like the Norse god of thunder after 50 bean enchiladas.
2. The throttle response, so far, seems to be a LOT smoother. SOOO amazingly smooth! The dead spot from 7.5 to 9.5K rpm is GONE.
3. Suspension does feel MUCH better. Not a lot of room in there and the spanner only let me tighten it half-a-notch at a time, but a super EASY adjustment.

Now the ISSUES:

1. Two fuel lines probably aren't on quite as good as they were before (since the wire-tightener is choked up almost in between the tube and receptacle). One is the smaller of the two pet-cock lines. The other is the one that attaches to the forward left side of the tank. What are these two lines?

2. The new exhaust can rubs the swing-arm a TINY bit (not REALLY the swing-arm so much as the brake-line steel bracket, which is just hitting the mounting strap that goes around the exhaust). I figure let it rub it...not a biggie.

3. IT DIED on me on the way home...4-5 minutes into an 18 minute ride, while decelerating down a hill (the ONLY hill). I roll started it by shifting down and popping the clutch, but it died again as I got to the bottom of the hill. However, after sitting on the side of the road in not the best part of town at 3am and failing to get it restarted, I eventually gave it full choke and it started back up...ran great the rest of the way home. COULD it have been an AIR BUBBLE in the line?

4. I got the radio shack multipack but realized that the #4 were A LOT smaller than I thought--I'm ASSUMING they were the second from the smallest, right?! Hope so. It said, #2, 4, 6, 8 and 10, but I couldn't differentiate between the large ones (the 6, 8 and 10s). My #4 was the 2nd from the smallest with an inner diameter of .123 inches.

5. I set the tank gently down on his garage floor, careful not to scratch it, but it was balancing on the petcock (didn't see that was a no-no until tonight).

-- NOTE:
It took 5 hours in all (with a competent helper). Definitely wouldn't have done it on my own unless I had an afternoon to myself. Props to Arin!
I will have a full report on the performance soon--gonna have a guy come over with an air/fuel gauge and see what he thinks within a week or two.
Next projects: Oil change, then TIRES!!

FINAL QUESTIONS:
(a) Also, um, can I buy more of those plastic punch-pin thingys at Lowes? I broke one or two messing with the fairing.
(b) When the bike is on the kickstand, there is NO oil visible in the window--when upright, it's half full. Is that right or is it low? Seems like they should make it where you can see it without having to be sitting on the bike
Those two lines are probably your fuel overflow lines (forget technical terms).

Could have just been a clogged jet. When you were trying to start it at the bottom of the hill did you try choke? Did you try no choke and leaving it WOT a while to drain the carbs?

I'd like the know the answer to (a) as well :P

(b). That's normal. halfway should be between the high and low markers for your oil gauge and SHOULD be taken while the bike is as upright as possible off any stands.

Should note I'm still learning as well so I can't promise the truth. Just that the truth is out there
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM   #4
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

I had the choke slightly-on for the whole ride...it was super cold out....I tried cranking with it off, on, half on, etc...I gave it gas, shook the tank (my fear was we'd hooked up the tank incorrectly!), etc....

Then I turned the choke all the way up and tried it for the 20th time in 5 minutes, and that time it worked. Who knows.

Rode it today with no problems. More soon.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
if you're having trouble starting it, try not using the choke until you're already cranking. as soon as you hit and hold the starter button, begin turning on the choke. usually the transition from lean to rich will force the bike to fire over.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
@evi1joe

Your thread title reminded me of this:
http://youtu.be/VX4Ppm-cPZI

which led me to this:
http://youtu.be/-P2jiRPlq2U

But, to answer your questions:

1.) The petcock has 2 lines coming off of it. 1, the big one, is the fuel hose carrying the fuel from your tank to the carb's fuel rail. The little one is a vacuum line which is hooked to 1 carb, and operates the vacuum petcock switch. When the bike isn't running, there is no vacuum and the switch is closed, keeping fuel from flowing. Once the bike starts, vacuum is produced and the switch opens, allowing fuel to flow. The little tube which connects to the gas tank on the left-forward side is your gas-overflow tube - it's supposed to vent gas and fumes so it doesn't come spilling out of your filler cap....

3.) It could have been a fuel bubble, or could have been starving for fuel - you said one of the lines was pinched? Check all the lines to be free and clear.

(a) Not sure if you can get them at Lowe's, but you can get them at a moto suply store. The Kawi ones are pricey, sometimes you can find a cheap Korean replacement pack, with 10 of them in their....

(b) Your oil level is correct yes, lol, it's not that difficult, you've figured it out....

Hope this helps!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #7
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Yeah, my title was a play on the Mary poplins song by the chimney sweeps
Thanks!

Last futzed with by evi1joe; December 7th, 2011 at 06:53 PM.

Old December 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Did you adjust your idle mix? Coasting down a hill, I'm assuming your throttle was closed? It could have been an air bubble but that should happen almost right after you start it, plus the fuel in the carb bowls should compensate. I think your idle circuit is lean, especially since you said it started up with the choke. If you need to choke it's lean, throttle open it's flooded/rich
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #9
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

I may have been coasting, but I thought I was giving it gas....I DID have the choke on, since it was cold and I often forget to turn it of (getting better about it though----same with turn signals; precious bikes turned them off after the turn for me...I leave these on accidentally a lot, which is a safety hazard.

I'm hoping to get it checked out with A fuel/air gauge soon. We'll see.

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
I may have been coasting, but I thought I was giving it gas....I DID have the choke on, since it was cold and I often forget to turn it of (getting better about it though----same with turn signals; precious bikes turned them off after the turn for me...I leave these on accidentally a lot, which is a safety hazard.

I'm hoping to get it checked out with A fuel/air gauge soon. We'll see.
In that case you could have just flooded it by leaving the enricher on, I've stopped at a light before and freaked out because it just died and then realized I left it on
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote