ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:56 AM   #1
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R, 2013 Honda CRF450R, 2008 Honda CRF250R, 2001 Honda XR400

To all those people who say you need to take the MSF, even if you've ridden before:

you're right.

I've ridden dirt for 19 years, so I wasn't expecting too much out of the MSF, but was still hoping I would learn SOMETHING new. Well, took it last week/this weekend, and loved it. The instructors were able to explain what I was already doing. I mean, I did things naturally, but didn't know WHY I did them. I just.....did them, because it felt right. So it was pretty cool to learn why I did what I did.

I also learned two important things that I need to work on before it kills me on the street: looking through turns and not releasing my rear brake. In the beginning of the class, I kept looking down at my front tire during turns, since you have to do that when you ride trails/dirt. Was able to scratch that habit a bit though, and my turns improved ten-fold. The other habit I need to break occurs when braking. I locked up my rear tire several times yesterday during panic stops, playing around, etc. Two of those times I immediately released and reapplied. That's a no-no, and that's going to hurt.

All-in-all, it was money well spent. A lot of fun, and I have a greater understanding of my own riding skills. Oh, and I passed the riding exam with a perfect score.

Out of the six of us who took the class, I was the only one who passed. Scored a perfect on both written and riding though!!!!
rmorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Congratulations!!

You will be a fine street rider.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:00 AM   #3
SharInATL
ninjette.org member

Name: Shar

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black 250r (SOLD) Now - 2006 GSXR 750

Congrats on passing! What did the others in the class do to fail?
SharInATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R, 2013 Honda CRF450R, 2008 Honda CRF250R, 2001 Honda XR400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharInATL View Post
Congrats on passing! What did the others in the class do to fail?
Stupid stuff.

We started with six. On the first day on the range, one chick felt like she was going to pass out and had to lay down for a bit. She then was holding ice and crap to her neck, and wasn't feeling any better, so she left voluntarily. We then got a huge talking to at the end of range day 1 (with the exception of me ) and were told that we weren't exactly progressing fast enough.

Second day on the range, another chick got kicked out because she was still stalling the bike at every start. She just couldn't get the hang of releasing the clutch. So, by the time the exam rolled around, there was only 4 of us left.

During the exam, people were putting feet down left and right, and couldn't do u-turns in the box (they kept exiting the boundaries). Then, on the swerve test, one chick completely missed the first two cones. So, you go through the first two cones and then you swerve around the four cones. The one chick just went way right around it all, lol. Another dude went in and straight nailed the far right cone.

Other than that, I really don't remember the other big stuff that they did wrong. I know there was some trouble on the quick stop too, where one dude started stopping waaaaay too soon, and another went almost to the end before coming to a complete stop.

Old May 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

You look down you go down bra.

Well maybe we can ride sometime now that you can get your license
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorse View Post
you're right.

I've ridden dirt for 19 years, so I wasn't expecting too much out of the MSF, but was still hoping I would learn SOMETHING new. Well, took it last week/this weekend, and loved it. The instructors were able to explain what I was already doing. I mean, I did things naturally, but didn't know WHY I did them. I just.....did them, because it felt right. So it was pretty cool to learn why I did what I did.

I also learned two important things that I need to work on before it kills me on the street: looking through turns and not releasing my rear brake. In the beginning of the class, I kept looking down at my front tire during turns, since you have to do that when you ride trails/dirt. Was able to scratch that habit a bit though, and my turns improved ten-fold. The other habit I need to break occurs when braking. I locked up my rear tire several times yesterday during panic stops, playing around, etc. Two of those times I immediately released and reapplied. That's a no-no, and that's going to hurt.

All-in-all, it was money well spent. A lot of fun, and I have a greater understanding of my own riding skills. Oh, and I passed the riding exam with a perfect score.

Out of the six of us who took the class, I was the only one who passed. Scored a perfect on both written and riding though!!!!
lol Grats man!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Glad you found it to be educational. I still haven't taken the BRC but I always recommend it to prospective riders. It was in the plans to take it with my wife two years ago but life happened and we never did. I just watched videos of BRC events and read this forum and one other and also bought Code's riding books. It worked well for me but I wouldn't recommend it to most people. I still plan to take the BRC one day because who knows what I might pick up that I may have missed on the videos.

The only reason one can't learn is because one's mind isn't open.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #8
rmorse
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
The only reason one can't learn is because one's mind isn't open.
Or ADD.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #9
caspermayne
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R FI 2009, Hyosung GT650R 2008 FI

Welcome to the streets =) Congrats, you must always look towards the turn.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM   #10
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Welcome to the club man, riding has been the best thing for me. Atleast you have been riding for quite some time, that helps a ton.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #11
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Congrats! I agree, MSF is well worth it, even for experienced riders!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote