ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

to jet or not to jet...that is the questi.....

Jetting gets a lot of attention on this forum.
So...I have to wonder if I should give it a try.
Really...I spend most of my time @ 75-80 on highways getting to the 30 minutes worth of twisties i can find.
Does my bike run rich or lean ?
I dunno and i dont care because it does exactly what I want it to do all the time...but am I missing better performance simply because I'm used to what it does. I came down to a 250 not expecting much and I've been amazed at how much these bikes can do. Pipes, removed snorkels, jetting...I mean...as a fully noob mechanic these things all sound like fun but...what will I get for my trouble ?
So far..I've washered the forks ( thanks KKIM) love it.
Swapped the sprockets ( thanks to a bunch of guys) I love it
so...both ninjette.org mods have been excellent and now I'm thinking about trying what everybody else seems to be doing...so what might I expect..again, given that I'm 101% happy with how she performs.
What do you think ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #2
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

If it aint broke, dont fix it. ENJOY
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #3
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

Unless you've added a pipe or something else, I wouldn't bother with it.
Spend more time riding.
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I'm 101% happy with how she performs.
What do you think ?
I think you should get out and ride it more... leave bike as is until you find something that needs attention.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Jetting makes the bike feel and ride better, thats stock pipe or aftermarket. But, its a little harder than putting a rear caliper on
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Naw...like i said...this bike does everything I ask but still, with all the chatter goin' on here about jetting...I was wondering if I might be missing something. Thanks for the opinions.... besides, I'm planning a major mod sometime the spring...I'm gonna clean AND wax it !
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

A loooot of people think the bikes need to be rejetted right out of the box. In actuality, all that needs to be done IMO is to adjust the idle mixture screws. Once those are set properly, you should be good to go if you haven't modified the intake or exhaust.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Sounds like you love the way it rides as is. If that's the case, leave it be and ride more. Rejetting for no reason wont make it "more" fun to ride if riding is what you want to do. I only did small mods while stuck in the house because of rain season but I've planned it nicely so that when the rain stops, the bike is still ready to go. Btw, wash and wax! super pretty.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #9
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

my only complaint is the hard starting. if shimming needles or a re-jet will fix this, then I think that's what I'm going to do.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #10
kkim

shimming will help the hard starting... so will adjusting the mixture screws, but that's a lot more work than shimming.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #11
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

I honestly do NOT want to work on my Ninj. Would a dealer be willing to shim the needles and adjust the mixture screws? I'd just hate to wreck my first motorcycle

Old February 19th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #12
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachdiddy View Post
I honestly do NOT want to work on my Ninj. Would a dealer be willing to shim the needles and adjust the mixture screws? I'd just hate to wreck my first motorcycle
If you follow the DIY closely, there is a very small chance you'll mess it up. Shimming was the first thing i did and I had under 200miles on my ninja when I did it. Thanks to the DIY, it was the easy. Do take it slow and keep everything together. I'm not sure dealers know about shimming. They can most likely rejet for you but it'll cost quite a bit.

Working on your bike is one of the best things about owning one IMHO. Mainly because it's like working on your own car but simpler. Everything is easier to get to and there are so many people here to help. Think about it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #13
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

My Ninjette is jetted with a full Yoshi TRC. My girl's is not jetted, with a Two Bros slip on (how we bought hers).. My bike runs much smoother all through the RPM range and definitely has better acceleration. I have ridden both bikes on the highway and mine feels smoother.. Jetting also helps when starting the bike... I notice my bike tends to fire up and stabilize much faster than hers. Usually within ten to 15 seconds, I can thump the throttle. Starting her bike is like waking up a drunk friend.. It's awake, but isn't liking it until warmed up. You can't touch the throttle until it runs for a minute or it will choke on the fuel and die, everytime.
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #14
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

leave well enough alone, you have a great bike great deal don't muck it up throwing good money after bad. they love running 80 @ 11k and and can do it all day long plus your twisty route hasn't put up a fight, you're in fine shape as is.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
my only complaint is the hard starting. if shimming needles or a re-jet will fix this, then I think that's what I'm going to do.
Fixing the idle mixture screws is the only proper way to address this. People use the shimming as a secondary method to avoid messing with the idle mixture screws, becuase you have to pull the carbs to do them.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #16
insightt47
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2010

theres a good tutorial on jetting on the forum
insightt47 is offline   Reply With Quote