ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

GUNK in my head!

Oh boy. I believe I just opened a can of worms.
I removed my airbox then removed the carbs to clean, jet, shim, etc.
When draining the float bowls, I noticed the left side (facing the front like sitting on the bike) the fuel draining was crystal clean fuel. "Great!" I said internally.
The right float bowl was drained after and dripped out a good amount of rusty looking crud along with the fuel. Not sludge, just 'dirty' looking fuel with tiny muddy particles smaller than a grain of sand. "Great! There's my problem!" I said internally.
Next I decided to take a peek inside the head (i assume because that is what the rubber boot things said on that end). On the left I see 2 holes with rods going down in some dark oil. (I DID change the oil when I got the bike and haven't put 100 miles on it since... been fixing and modding little stuff. I'll probably change the oil again after I get this cleaning/jetting/pod/etc mod done.)
Well, I move over to the right side and couldn't believe what I was seeing. It looked like SLUDGE that the two rods were sitting in. Really thick lumpy chunky sludge. Have a look for yourself to see what I am talking about. (pics and video taken with my phone with not-so-great lighting, but you can see what I am seeing)

What do I do with the right side? Leave it alone? dip a Q-tip in there and try to remove the sludge? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg left side.jpg (46.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg right side.jpg (119.6 KB, 11 views)
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Did you try blowing your nose?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Did you try blowing your nose?
Like I am gonna take my fingers out of my nose long enough to blow it... NOT LIKELY!

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Lolz!

But I don't have a clue what that gunk is on your engine.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe sand will help

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #6
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Those rods are your valves. The holes are the intake ports.

To my knowledge there shouldn't be oil there. There's valve guide seals in there that prevent that. Does the crankcase breather recirculate into the airbox on ninjas? If it does, that's probably where the oil came from, unless your seals/rings/cylinders are leaking. If it's just the recirculated crap, it's likely a mix of oil and dirt. Your best bet is to blast it with piss and kill it with fire.

Old April 25th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #7
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Ha! I think i found what that stuff is.
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...=116254&page=6
It seems to be unburned hydrocarbon buildup. Its natural when crappy gas has been used for a long time with no cleaners (Seafoam). This bike was VERY abused before I got it. I can guarantee it had never seen a bath since It rolled off the production floor. 6 years of sludge, grime, & mud all over everything. I am surprised it even ran (got it for cheap). All the fluids had to be original also. Brake fluid was dark brown, engine coolant was thick and dark green, oil was black with particles, fuel tank hasn't been drained yet but I bet its got a nice amount of crud in it =)

I am not worried about the gunk in there. I'll just ignore it for now and run some seafoam through the next couple of tanks of fuel.