ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Dropped something in the motor

So, if, hypothetically, one were to drop the feeler gauge down into the engine next to the cam chain, and not be able to find it, what's the next step? Pulling the clutch cover? Does that give access to the crankshaft where I'm guessing it fell? Is there anything to it other than disconnecting the clutch cable and pulling the cover off?
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Pull the clutch cover of you get lucky use a magnetic pick-up tool and fish for it.

Old May 25th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Ok I got it out.

Guess it's too much to ask for my local dealer to carry a gasket for the thing, so now I get to try to do it with some DIY gasket maker sealant crap.

Old May 25th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Most moto dealers don't carry crap in stock. Only think in stock is oil filter, filter, and spark plugs.

Old May 25th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
........so now I get to try to do it with some DIY gasket maker sealant crap.
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=127820&page=2

http://www.dansmc.com/gaskets.htm

Any paper based material like manila folder will work.

If the gauge is a package of blades, it may be stuck between the chain and well and lower sprocket and opening the clutch compartment may not help much (the clutch basket is covering much of it).

If you end up removing the cam shafts, return each cam cap (or top of the bearing) to its original position and torque those bolts as specified.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cam chain newgens.jpg (123.1 KB, 40 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #6
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=127820&page=2

http://www.dansmc.com/gaskets.htm

Any paper based material like manila folder will work.

If the gauge is a package of blades, it may be stuck between the chain and well and lower sprocket and opening the clutch compartment may not help much (the clutch basket is covering much of it).

If you end up removing the cam shafts, return each cam cap (or top of the bearing) to its original position and torque those bolts as specified.
I didn't remove the cam shafts. I did get the gauge out already. I did already use gasket maker. If it doesn't work, I redo it when I can get a new gasket.

Now my new problem is that my new chain i bought from Motorcyclesuperstore turns out to be a clip type. It didn't say on the page, but the comments specifically said press type, and here I have a clip type. So now I have to figure out whether to use it or return it or whatever.

Old May 25th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

A lot of moto dealers and parts places have master links, you may be able to get a rivet type there. Just call.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
A lot of moto dealers and parts places have master links, you may be able to get a rivet type there. Just call.
Yeah, I'm going to call motorcycle superstore in the morning and see if they can make good on it and send me the appropriate link, if not I'll see what cycle gear can do for me. I had hoped to have this thing done over the weekend, but oh well. I have another bike to ride for now.

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Well, I guess the lesson learned here is never buy from Motorcycle Superstore. Ever. After sending me the wrong chain they tell me my only options are to return the chain and buy a different one (but they can't tell me what I need to order to get the correct one) or to buy another master link from them.

So I guess I call around and see if anyone sells the correct master link, or just deal with the clip one, maybe it isn't too bad?

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
...........Now my new problem is that my new chain i bought from Motorcyclesuperstore turns out to be a clip type. It didn't say on the page, but the comments specifically said press type, and here I have a clip type. So now I have to figure out whether to use it or return it or whatever.
Not the end of the world.

Some solutions here, being the best the one shown in post #27:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...in+safety+wire

Old May 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #11
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Not the end of the world.

Some solutions here, being the best the one shown in post #27:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...in+safety+wire
Yeah, I do like that solution, I don't understand the concept of safety wiring the clip on, seems like the teeth on the sprocket would end up tearing up the safety wire. I was thinking a little JB Weld on the clip, but if I use a clip it might be nice to be able to remove it.

Thanks for the link, btw, I saw that when it was written, but couldn't seem to find it when I was looking for it yesterday.

Old May 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Now my new problem is that my new chain i bought from Motorcyclesuperstore turns out to be a clip type. It didn't say on the page, but the comments specifically said press type, and here I have a clip type. So now I have to figure out whether to use it or return it or whatever.
What brand is it? I have a spare gold RK brand 520 X-ring rivet type master link I can mail you if needed. I got a spare one, assuming that my chain wouldn't come with one. Gold was because it's easier to spot on a silver chain. But then the chain came with a rivet type master link so I never used it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #13
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
What brand is it? I have a spare gold RK brand 520 X-ring rivet type master link I can mail you if needed. I got a spare one, assuming that my chain wouldn't come with one. Gold was because it's easier to spot on a silver chain. But then the chain came with a rivet type master link so I never used it.
It is a DID chain, but thank you. I think that I'm going to install it, safety wire it, and hope for the best. I need to put tires on the bike soon, and it will be easier to pull the rear wheel with a clip type I guess. I might buy a new rivet type when I put it back on with the new tires, we'll see.

Old May 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #14
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Ok, so, stupid quesetion, but when I took the rear wheel off, the brake fell off, and I don't know that I'm putting it back together correctly. It seems right, but is the whole caliper assembly supposed to swivel like that? Like, when you are going forward it has a stop, but nothing to prevent it from moving backwards when it is going in reverse and you hit the brakes

Old May 27th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #15
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Never mind, figured out that I'm an idiot.

After I got the thing aligned and everything.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

yeahhhhh make sure that the caliper is being held inline using the axle through the hole on the mount...
CVMA #531

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
try changing rear wheel on the side of the road with no stands (literally... not even a kick stand.)

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #18
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

So....when you say "changing" rear wheel.... Did you patch a flat or happen to have a spare wheel hidden deep in your cavities?
CVMA #531

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
yeahhhhh make sure that the caliper is being held inline using the axle through the hole on the mount...
No that wasn't the problem, the problem was I somehow managed to miss the fact that there is a slot that the caliper slides into to prevent it from rotating around with the wheel....

I noticed it. After I had gotten everything else put on, and finally gotten it aligned properly. And this is the first time I had ever gotten it aligned truly properly, with the string method, instead of "aw shucks, looks about right" so it took me a little bit.

But it's ok, I got it figured out.

This is what happens when I take stuff apart without paying attention to it and have to put it together again. I usually try to follow the direction, but the directions for removing the rear wheel said something about removing the shock mounts, and that just seemed wholly unnecessary.

Old May 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........This is what happens when I take stuff apart without paying attention to it and have to put it together again......
That happens to everyone.

Taking digital pictures during the disassemble process helps much.