ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT

Old 1995 Yoshimura 2-1 Little too loud

Ive been going back and forth with this one, While I enjoy terrorizing the neighbors most of the time (hence the name terrorizer), sometimes I wish this thing was just a little quieter. There just doesnt seem to be anything you can do to kick the db's down. It does sound awesome at 10k in second or 3rd gear but I don't need to sound awesome all the time do I? LOL!

Ear plugs are a necessity, which is alright I can live with that, it makes a huge difference in my comfort level (and talk about solitude!). Is there anything one can do to quiet it down? just curious, I'll live with it as long as I have the bike because I really do like it, but If there was a simple fix, I would try it to see how it changes things.

Old April 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

Those pipes were always loud but yours probably could use a re-pack.
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #3
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

look under universal exhaust or measure your o.d. of your pipe. i prefer loud so i picked up a shorty, it makes the muzzy seem quiet. there's plenty of options with out changing the header.
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Od? outer diameter? When you say plenty of options, do you mean another slipon?

Old April 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #5
2WheelGuy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

You might also be able to get a low volume insert for your muffler. Call Yosh for packing and inserts:

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/t-replac...spx?imsec=road
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

+1 on the repacking, all you will need is a repacking kit, a drill and new rivits and rivit gun. the exhaust probably has never been repacked so it should quiet it down some.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #7
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

ok this is tricky, no rivets, had old allen screws that I had to drill out and extract ( very rusty when I got the bike last summer)I replaced those and was able to get the rear cap off and look in side. It looked very clean, The bike only had 4k when I got it. It wasnt ridden very much obviously- 14 years old and 4k miles! even with all the screws out I couldn't get the muffler off the pipe. The pipe was badly rusted which I since have stripped and painted and I replaced all the allen screws with new stainless steel phillips heads and it looks good. I thought maybe trying it again after getting it hot after a good ride but thats treacherous. I don't know how this slipon even attaches to the pipe wether its screwed on or should it just pull off?. Anyway being able to look inside from one end it looked very clean but I dont know if just sitting there all those years would trash the packing or not. I may just talk to my local bike mechanics and see what they say. There is little information about the 1995 yoshimura 2-1 system, its very different from stock either new or old and replacement Slip on options are slim with the 2-1 system. If you have stock, you can just buy 2 new ones for 6 or 7 hundred bucks! LOL!

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

All I know is that one of my friends had that same exhaust on his bike, and it was L-O-U-D. I think the biggest problem with that, is that every cop in a 5 miles radius is going to hear it when you get on it.

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #9
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I would like to make note that this thread is in the wrong section (new-gen instead of pre-gen like it should be ). That being said......

I also have the Yoshi 2-1 setup on my 1994 and agree that it's rather loud. However, it does have a rather deep sound to it that no one so far has expected from a 250cc p-twin. Perhaps sometime this summer I should look into repacking mine since it has at least 7k+ miles on it just from me and I don't know how much from the previous owner since it was installed by the owner before him. I wonder if any other mufflers will fit on the pipe.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Whoops...

Anyway, Yes it does have a deep sound expecially at low rpm, At high rev it sounds like an angry hornet! its cool though and no cops have bothered me about it thankfully.. There doesn't appear to be any noise laws or anything like that so no worries.

I havel also wondered if anything will fit that pipe too, its rather big where it attches to the slipon. I haven't been able to get it off but have only tried when cold. It probably needs to be hot to remove it due to rust and age etc..

Old April 20th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Might also want to try some WD40 and a wire brush to clean off the joint a bit to help it ease up. If it's got that much rust you might want to try cleaning off the rust and maybe see about getting it coated with some header paint or something of the like to help protect it from further rust.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #13
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

oh man I sprayed everything on that thing and it didn't budge. So I removed the header, stripped the rust and painted that and the pipe up to the slipon with black ceramic paint. Looks good, but I think there is rust under where you cant get. I cant separate the pipe on that side at all. I reassembled everything and now the bike is out and running, if I feel like it, one of these days I'm going to try and remove the pipe when its warm after a ride.. That worked for the rusted screws which I couldn't budge either. fingers crossed!

Old April 20th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

^make sure you use some of them heavy leather welding gloves if you try to remove it when hot. I think you can pick them up for pretty cheap.