ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Motorcycle-related

Old January 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

1saleaday is selling the Parrot SK4000 for $50! This afternoon/evening only.

http://wireless.1saleaday.com/

I'm ordering a second one! Heck, maybe a third if my brother can spare me the money. I paid $213 for my first one in 2008 and even that was a big discount. It looks like they are down to $100 on eBay but they are still $190 at Fry's Electronics.

I wore out the remote's source button almost a year later and then did it a gain with my warranty replacement but I fixed it by taking it apart and soaking the switch in isopropyl alcohol.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here because I can't order while I'm at work and they may be out of stock when I get home, but I didn't want you guys to run out of time either.

It seems to be the only kit with TTS (Text-To-Speech synthesis), a remote, and voice control. It is mainly for music and phone calls because it does not have an intercom. It supports A2DP and AVRCP. It can even sync with your phonebook to support voice-dialing with phones that don't have it built in like the original iPhone and iPhone 3G.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

6 hours and 20 mins left

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

how well does it work with the iphone? I found one unfavorable amazon review when used with the iphone so far and one good on on the parrot forums. Any one have experience with them here? Also, how does it attach to the helmet and where are the speakers located for it?
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Live2ride

Here are more explinative pictures of what it really is, seems like it just clips onto the helmet:

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

thanks! I found the manual as well. I'm not sure If I like having the mic attached to the rest of the unit. I rarely make calls and don't really want to fumble with answering one while riding. It would be really nice to have a streaming bluetooth that is less obtrusive.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Live2ride

I agree

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
how well does it work with the iphone? I found one unfavorable amazon review when used with the iphone so far and one good on on the parrot forums. Any one have experience with them here? Also, how does it attach to the helmet and where are the speakers located for it?
The iPhone experience has gone from bad to good as Apple has FINALLY started making up for the phone's short-comings. By design, the original iPhone doesn't support A2DP but all you have to do is jailbreak it and install A2DP Enabler. Music Controls will add full AVRCP which Apple only added in iOS4.1 (4.0+ does not run on the original iPhone). iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 all support A2DP with AVRCP. The iPhone 3G could still use Music Controls because it doesn't have backgrounding/multitasking by default and Music Controls gives you better backgrounding for music apps than even the official Apple multitasking, though you could just force official multitasking support on a 3G since it needs to be jailbroken to run Music Controls anyway.

You want A2DP (stereo Bluetooth - Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) with AVRCP (Bluetooth remote control - Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) because the Parrot SK4000 will not let you switch the input away from the Bluetooth Audio input as long as there is an open A2DP audio sink that it can't pause. When you press the source button to switch to, say, FM radio, it sends the pause signal and then switches when it pauses. Apple supports AVRCP Play/Pause ONLY on iPhone OS 3 and iOS 4.0.x because they didn't want dock makers to use BT instead of paying royalties to interface through their proprietary dock connector but they finally wised up and allowed full AVRCP in iOS 4.1+. Even then, Play/Pause didn't work for other music apps until they added multitasking in iOS4 (Music Controls fixes this). Every problem it has had was Apple's fault. Heck, when I first got mine, there wasn't even A2DP support despite 4 year old non "smart phones" having it!

The voice dialing is accomplished using HFP and PBAP. In other words, it syncs your phone list using Phone Book Access Profile and dials the number using Hands Free Profile (others just use HSP - Headset Profile). Because it has everything it needs to do voice dialing on its own with those two profiles, it does not require the iPhone 3GS/4 voice dial feature for voice dialing. I've never seen another headset like it! I have a Jabra BT8010 that will let me dial from its own internal phonebook but for some reason the BT8010's caller ID doesn't work on any iPhone (works with every other phone). The iPhone DOES support caller ID with the Parrot SK4000 just fine and will even read you the name of the caller as you ride.

My only issues with the kit are that I keep wearing the source button out on the handlebar remote in about a year, the top two buttons on the handlebar remote usually don't work unless you lean toward it (seems to be an RF range issue but only affects those two buttons), and the volume is only loud enough if you can get the speakers against your ears (hard to do with flat speakers if your helmet has speaker pockets). The noise canceling and the voice recognition are excellent. Oh! Even though the battery life is excellent, I wish you could charge it while in use or carry a spare battery when going on REALLY long rides (you can't), but at this price I can just switch when the battery dies on one. For example, I crossed the country and had to charge it off a 12v USB charger at gas stations and rest stops if I wanted to get a full day of music out of it.

It does not do intercom with another kit in any way though you could always just call each other.

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Hey Jet,

I have an iPhone 4 OS4.1 jailbroken. My 2008 Lexus LS460 doesn't let me stream music from iPhone to car...but the 2010 Lexus ES350 let me play music from iPhone. Does this mean I have A2DP on the phone already and it's the car issue or if I install A2DP Enabler the bluetooth music streaming on my LS460 will work?
btw, I searched Cydia...can't find any "A2DP" enabler program.???
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Nevermind...as of OS 3.0, iphone supports A2DP...so it's my car issue
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Nevermind...as of OS 3.0, iphone supports A2DP...so it's my car issue
this post seems to confirm that, but who knows.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #11
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

It's now on sale for $34 shipped at 1 sale a day...

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

Is this a good deal???

Can I use it with my full face helmet???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
It's now on sale for $34 shipped at 1 sale a day...

http://1saleaday.com/wireless/

Is this a good deal???

Can I use it with my full face helmet???
That's a great deal. It's still over $150 at Fry's!

Old May 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Eh on Amazon they are just $50 or so, still a good price though. I've bought from 1saleaday a lot, even returned some stuff. Very nice people there. But onto the Parrot, Anyone have one and does it work? How does the bluetooth thing stick to the side of your helmet?
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #14
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

So I just checked and it's $30 now in case anyone is still interested.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #15
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_syn View Post
So I just checked and it's $30 now in case anyone is still interested.
With $5 shipping. I too wonder if we could take the boom mic off for just a bluetooth music. Does it have an earphone for each side (right, left)? I use a chatterbox just for music, it be nice to have something smaller.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #16
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Package Includes:
Parrot SK4000, USB/Mini USB Cable, Charger, TORX Screwdriver, User Guide, 1-Year Warranty

Doesnt look like it comes with headphones....
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #17
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Surely it comes with headphones. Thats what in the big picture attached to the mic correct? Id say they fit in the helmet with either velco or if you have a helmet that has speaker pouches.

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Thats just the receiver, I think

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410EV-ua%2B-L.jpg

It seems like a good deal but I'm going to guess that it kinda sucks, you get what you pay for

Does anyone have this? It would be a good cheap option if it works

Old May 25th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #19
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

So the round thingys arent the headphones? If it doesnt come with headphones that kinda sucks doesnt it. Can you hear me now?!

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #20
Mad-B-Man
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250F, Honda NCZ50 Motocompo

The 2 speakers included are part of the SK4000 unit itself, thus not listed separately.

http://www.parrot.com/fr/support/gui...r-guide_en.pdf
Mad-B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #21
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
http://wireless.1saleaday.com/

I'm ordering a second one! Heck, maybe a third if my brother can spare me the money. I paid $213 for my first one in 2008 and even that was a big discount. It looks like they are down to $100 on eBay but they are still $190 at Fry's Electronics.

I wore out the remote's source button almost a year later and then did it a gain with my warranty replacement but I fixed it by taking it apart and soaking the switch in isopropyl alcohol.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here because I can't order while I'm at work and they may be out of stock when I get home, but I didn't want you guys to run out of time either.

It seems to be the only kit with TTS (Text-To-Speech synthesis), a remote, and voice control. It is mainly for music and phone calls because it does not have an intercom. It supports A2DP and AVRCP. It can even sync with your phonebook to support voice-dialing with phones that don't have it built in like the original iPhone and iPhone 3G.
Thank alot for the info CZroe, just order 1 for $34 shipped. According to parot sk4000 specs (http://www.parrot.com/documents/en/p...s/fiche_sk4000) 2 speakers attached to the mic audio unit so I think speaker will be in the kit.
vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Just ordered one $34 with shipping also

Old May 25th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #23
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Well He!! I might as well get one too.

Old May 25th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

They are flat helmet speakers and, yes, they are included. They are part of the same mounting hardware as the mic. If your phone supports A2DP/AVRCP it should work great with this unit. It's good for GPS as well.

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #25
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Quote:
They are flat helmet speakers and, yes, they are included. They are part of the same mounting hardware as the mic. If your phone supports A2DP/AVRCP it should work great with this unit. It's good for GPS as well.
deal will end at 9:00 PM so hope you still can order it after work

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnranger View Post
deal will end at 9:00 PM so hope you still can order it after work
I already own three.

$215 for my pre-ordered one back int 2008.
$50x2 for two more the last time 1saleaday had them.
They were even cheaper yesterday when you ordered but I couldn't update the OP because this thread is many months old.

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #27
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I already own three.

$215 for my pre-ordered one back int 2008.
$50x2 for two more the last time 1saleaday had them.
They were even cheaper yesterday when you ordered but I couldn't update the OP because this thread is many months old.
I see, forgot to look at the start date of this thread hahaha

Old May 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #28
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I've mounted it on two different helmets:
GMAX GM58S
Scorpion EXO-1000

The GMAX was perfect as far as the mounting part goes. I could fit the clamp between the shell and route the speakers under the black plastic inner liner (under the padding) and pop the speakers out the same slots that the helmet straps pass through. The only problem was that the helmet was that the flat speakers seem designed to go against your ears while the helmet itself is already designed with speaker pouches in the cheek pads. They were too far away from my ears to hear comfortably. I had to stick them on the outside of the speaker pouches and stuff the inside of the pouch with soft tissue paper (the kind that won't make crinkle noises!) and then add 50mm leatherette earcups from eBay to really solve that issue.

The EXO-1000 mounted similarly well EXCEPT that it seems to push some of the protective foam away from the outer shell a bit (widens the cavity at the base). It doesn't look like it compromises safety or anything. It still has ample room to route the wires and speakers. Because the helmet can inflate the cheek pads, it helps isolate the speakers with your ears without doing anything funny. As usual, positioning makes a HUGE difference. Make sure they are aimed into your ears if you expect to be able to hear them at speed.

The remote range issue isn't a big deal when you understand it. Because there is a redundant volume button set on the unit itself, you might as well use those rather than lean toward the remote. Because it only affects the volume up and previous track button, you really only have to lean in close to it if you want to go back a track or end a call.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 1st, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:10 AM   #29
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Found this link.Very helpful .

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...otorcycles.htm