ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 11th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Does anybody here not have a cell phone?

Having a cell phone almost seems like a necessity these days. Landlines are impractical and seem to be fading away.

I haven't spent a dime on a phone to this day, however, my dad has been paying for me and my family's plan. Tomorrow, I turn 20 years old. And as much as I'd love to milk all I can out of my parents, I realize it's time I should at least start paying for my own phone.

Smartphones seem like they'd be a waste of money for me. I know some college students who are spending $69.99/mo and it doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I rarely ever use my current phone. It makes a great alarm clock, but that aside, it's just used to contact my parents and workplace. With that said, I'll probably end up with something embarrassing, like a Nokia 3310.

I've been told they're indestructible.

Old August 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
My smartphone is not just a phone though, its a goddamn mini laptop and having internet access everywhere is pretty awesome. I realize not everyone uses the internet on their phones but $25/mo for what feels like unlimited internet access is pretty great
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
With that said, I'll probably end up with something embarrassing, like a Nokia 3310.
No internet, no text, no games, but so far as acting like a PHONE, this was one of the best ever. Never lost a signal, you could run over it with your truck, and the battery lasted 2 weeks.

Old August 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5 View Post
No internet, no text, no games, but so far as acting like a PHONE, this was one of the best ever. Never lost a signal, you could run over it with your truck, and the battery lasted 2 weeks.
Sounds ideal, as long as it has a digital clock that's nice

probably doesn't have an alarm clock, though. But now that I think of it, I could just use my current phone solely as an alarm clock after it's deserviced lol
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #5
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
My smartphone is not just a phone though, its a goddamn mini laptop and having internet access everywhere is pretty awesome. I realize not everyone uses the internet on their phones but $25/mo for what feels like unlimited internet access is pretty great
This is exactly the same way as i feel. Once I got my smartphone, I started to VERY RARELY use my laptop unless it's for school work. Internet anywhere is honestly really great, plus, it can save your ass quite a few times in tight situations when you need to figure something out. Mine is $30/month and worth every cent for the amount i use it.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Having a cell phone almost seems like a necessity these days. Landlines are impractical and seem to be fading away.

I haven't spent a dime on a phone to this day, however, my dad has been paying for me and my family's plan. Tomorrow, I turn 20 years old. And as much as I'd love to milk all I can out of my parents, I realize it's time I should at least start paying for my own phone.

Smartphones seem like they'd be a waste of money for me. I know some college students who are spending $69.99/mo and it doesn't make sense to me.

Also, I rarely ever use my current phone. It makes a great alarm clock, but that aside, it's just used to contact my parents and workplace. With that said, I'll probably end up with something embarrassing, like a Nokia 3310.

I've been told they're indestructible.
Your the first youngster I heard of, that doesnt have it running there life.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
This is exactly the same way as i feel. Once I got my smartphone, I started to VERY RARELY use my laptop unless it's for school work. Internet anywhere is honestly really great, plus, it can save your ass quite a few times in tight situations when you need to figure something out. Mine is $30/month and worth every cent for the amount i use it.
What smartphone do you have that is only running you $30 a month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Your the first youngster I heard of, that doesnt have it running there life.
Yep, I don't really have any friends to talk to..parents talk to me every so often and I get called into work once in a while. That's about it. It's also the reason I don't have a wrist watch either. It blows my mind how some people spend hundreds of dollars on a nice watch when they can get a mobile computer for $99.99

Old August 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

Yep, I don't really have any friends to talk to..parents talk to me every so often and I get called into work once in a while. That's about it. It's also the reason I don't have a wrist watch either. It blows my mind how some people spend hundreds of dollars on a nice watch when they can get a mobile computer for $99.99
I think he means the data portion is only $30/mo

Carrying around a mobile computer just to check the time seems a bit silly
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I think he means the data portion is only $30/mo

Carrying around a mobile computer just to check the time seems a bit silly
figures

carrying around a $300 clock is silly too

Old August 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

You can go with a off name local company and get a good phone and a reasonable price. When I was in school I used my phone for everything, audio recorded classes, calender my assignments, photo shots of the white boards when I could, stored my hw on dropbox case I left it at home could run print it at library, plus all the non essential stuff i.e. music games videos ect. all while still being my sole means of communication with people. Even after getting out of school and getting a job I use my phone constantly.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #11
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
I've got an iphone.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote