ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #1
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Weight Reductions

Our bikes start at about 375lbs (wet). I have an exhaust on the way, and plan to ditch the stock battery for a lighter one. I also plan to get rid of the airbox and a few various hoses from the kleen air system removal. I'm guessing all this will put me down to around 360lbs. Besides when I'm on trips, I also take out the tool kit as well so that pry drops me down another 2-3lbs. So... what are you guys doing to eliminate unnecessary weight? By the way, It's not a track bike so I have to keep it legal.
spencerkro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerkro View Post
Our bikes start at about 375lbs (wet). I have an exhaust on the way, and plan to ditch the stock battery for a lighter one. I also plan to get rid of the airbox and a few various hoses from the kleen air system removal. I'm guessing all this will put me down to around 360lbs. Besides when I'm on trips, I also take out the tool kit as well so that pry drops me down another 2-3lbs. So... what are you guys doing to eliminate unnecessary weight? By the way, It's not a track bike so I have to keep it legal.
Not the best idea!

Why not lose the weight yourself. It's easier to lose 10lbs off your body than 10lbs off the bike.

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
What are you trying to do with this weight loss???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #4
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Not the best idea!

Why not lose the weight yourself. It's easier to lose 10lbs off your body than 10lbs off the bike.
That pretty much defines my performance mods.

Why would you buy one of the lightest "real" motorcycles on the market and try to make it lighter?

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I weigh 250lbs right now. Normally once summer hits I drop down to about 225lbs, that's what I'll be doing. Losing weight isn't as hard as people make you think it is. I lost 70lbs in about 1.5 months the first year I played lacrosse, I hope to get back down to 190lbs this year and stay there; I couldn't last time because of knee surgery that put me on crutches for a few months.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #6
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

Putting down the donuts - if I am looking at removing parts of my bike to save a few pounds I would rather just drive around naked and save the weight of clothes rather than stripping pieces and parts off.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I went from 191 lb to 176 lb in 5 months with diet and exersise.
My ninja has a custom 1.5 gal aluminum gas tank. I also replaced the rear plastic body with a small light aluminum seat, under tail and rear seat cowl. I use 95 front 115 rear dunlop slicks. I have no front brakes at all. The frame has been cleaned of all tabs and mounting holes that where not needed. All the wiring was replaced with minimal wiring.No keyed ignition or steering lock . I have a 4.5 lb exhaust system
The bike was at 375 lb now it is tipping the scale at 290 lb I can't find much more to take off. The wheels are fairly light with the small tires .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
The bike was at 375 lb now it is tipping the scale at 290 lb I can't find much more to take off. The wheels are fairly light with the small tires .
That's some crazy weight loss! Thanks for the ideas.

Old April 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #9
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Unless you are tracking the bike I don't see the need to try and shave off weight. That tiny tool kit is better off in the tail then sitting at home. That 2-3lbs. isn't going to make the bike noticeably faster or give you better gas mileage.

Note: Racer-X's bike is made for the maxton mile and other speed events...not legal riding by any means because there are no lights, etc.

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #10
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Our bikes start at about 375lbs (wet). I have an exhaust on the way, and plan to ditch the stock battery for a lighter one. I also plan to get rid of the airbox and a few various hoses from the kleen air system removal. I'm guessing all this will put me down to around 360lbs. Besides when I'm on trips, I also take out the tool kit as well so that pry drops me down another 2-3lbs. So... what are you guys doing to eliminate unnecessary weight?
Bah, that's all weak sauce compared to Shervin!
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...orn/?id=124318

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthre...t=89168&page=2

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #11
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
Bah, that's all weak sauce compared to Shervin!
Haha! Shervin FTL.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #12
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post

LOL! I'll start cutting hole in my frame tonight and tomorrow I'll let everyone know how its goes!

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #13
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
When I was a kid I was into slot cars. I drilled little holes in a chassis till it was very light . The first time it flew off the track it broke. I was very sad but learned a valuable lesson. There are some things that need to be heavy. What I am doing definitely has nothing to so with street riding.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #14
spencerkro
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
When I was a kid I was into slot cars. I drilled little holes in a chassis till it was very light . The first time it flew off the track it broke. I was very sad but learned a valuable lesson. There are some things that need to be heavy. What I am doing definitely has nothing to so with street riding.
I def agree with you, somethings need to be heavy, and you don't mess with those! If the pregens weighed 30lbs less there has to be some (safe) way to get rid of unnecessary weight. I understand I myself could lose weight... I don't care enough to do that, and besides I can control and shift my weight, extra weight on a bike is "dead" weight...