ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #1
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Is this normal?

is it normal that I'm losing a lot of oil, I did my first oil change a couple of days ago and I think it went well, lately I've been checking my oil level a lot and I've noticed that my oil is dropping everytime I ride my bike. is that normal? it went from full to half of the sightglass in like an 80mile ride.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

What year is your bike? It looks like you have a newgen in your avatar which is definitely too new to burn any oil. I generally freeway on my bike so constantly above 11k and the oil level is always the same.
Are you checking at the same "intervals?". As in comparing oil levels when cold both times or comparing them after riding, but letting the oil drip back down?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #3
kaiserz

It's a new gen got it last year october brand new, i put it up on its stands check it when it's cold and I also check it after riding (i put it on its stands wait for like 30 mins then check) it's really weird it never did this before my oil change.

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #4
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

What kind of oil and filter did you use?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #5
kaiserz

I used a CASTROL GTX sae 10w - 40 and a Fram: CH6012 filter, I know fram is not the best filter out there but yeah... And i'm planning to do another oil/filter change after 50miles.

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Is that motorcycle oil?

Are you checking the oil level with the bike on the side stand or with the bike upright?

Do you see oil coating any part of the bike (from a leak)? Is the oil filter tight?

Is the inside of your exhaust pipe oily?

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7
kaiserz

It's not a motorcycle specific oil, it's conventional oil i believe, I'm still at my break-in period and almost all the motorcycle specific oil that I've seen are synthetic I also did my research on this oil and one of the members here uses it without any problems

I check the oil level with my GPI stands

I don't see any signs of oil leaks anywhere, and I used a torque wrench to tighten my oil filter.

I checked, I even try putting a piece paper towel just to see if it's oily but i dont think it is, (I didnt take the thing a part.)

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #8
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Don't check it on stands. Hold the bike upright on a level surface and look at the glass. You can do this by crouching on the right side of the bike and pulling the right handlebar toward you carefully until the bike is balanced upright (easier than it sounds). The stand may be tilting the bike forward and messing up your reading.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #9
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
It's not a motorcycle specific oil, it's conventional oil i believe, I'm still at my break-in period and almost all the motorcycle specific oil that I've seen are synthetic I also did my research on this oil and one of the members here uses it without any problems
The manual says API SE, SF or SG, or API SH, SJ or SL with JASO MA.
I believe that the Castrol GTX is SJ and SL (so called "dino" oil), so it's OK by factory recommendations, but some believe that the specific motorcycle oils contain additives that help the transmission work better. I use Spectro 4, which is SL and JASO MA, but it costs more than twice what the GTX does. I've used the GTX in the past without any problems, and I still use it in my cars, but many here prefer the synthetic- I would at least spring for the motorcycle oil- it only takes 1.6 quarts.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #10
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Many of us use and swear by Rotella oils. They can be purchased just about anywhere and its protection has been discussed and proven by many. I love their T6 and used their Triple prior to switching to synthetic. It is not "Motorcycle" oil but it does meet factory standards.

I would also recommend a NAPA #PS4941 filter. It is made by WIX and for the price of under $7, it is almost unbeatable. PLEASE stay away from ALL Fram filters...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM   #11
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

When you changed the filter, did you run the bike for 5 mins and then top it off? If not, the oil drop might just be the filter soaking up more oil. When in doubt, do another oil change and see what happens. Oil + filter is only like $15 and for a piece of mind, it couldnt hurt. Or add more oil to a particular level and see if it stabilizes. The sight glass from low to high really isnt that much.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #12
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb48 View Post
Don't check it on stands. Hold the bike upright on a level surface and look at the glass. You can do this by crouching on the right side of the bike and pulling the right handlebar toward you carefully until the bike is balanced upright (easier than it sounds). The stand may be tilting the bike forward and messing up your reading.

Chris
Thanks Chris! i think i found the problem, (I tried using the front stand too and bam there's my oil heheh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Many of us use and swear by Rotella oils. They can be purchased just about anywhere and its protection has been discussed and proven by many. I love their T6 and used their Triple prior to switching to synthetic. It is not "Motorcycle" oil but it does meet factory standards.

I would also recommend a NAPA #PS4941 filter. It is made by WIX and for the price of under $7, it is almost unbeatable. PLEASE stay away from ALL Fram filters...
Thanks for the oil recommendation (: and yes I am staying away from the frams filters I actually have a WIX filter ready and I'm gonna use it this wed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
When you changed the filter, did you run the bike for 5 mins and then top it off? If not, the oil drop might just be the filter soaking up more oil. When in doubt, do another oil change and see what happens. Oil + filter is only like $15 and for a piece of mind, it couldnt hurt. Or add more oil to a particular level and see if it stabilizes. The sight glass from low to high really isnt that much.
and yes I did this, I've changed the oil 2 times already.

THANKS GUYS (:!

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #13
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Phew... glad you figured it out so easily. Funny how bike owners see little changes everywhere and wonder if it's something wrong and find out it's something little or normal. I bet if we paid this much attention to our cars, we'd be panicking every time we take it out.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote