ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #1
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): None yet

School Help

so i figure i have my family pretty much down to let me get a motorcycle, my new problem is my schools principal, im planning on going in to talk to her tomorrow and if you guys could help me out with some ways to argue to let me ride to school in the mornings, cause i dont really have a very good idea of how to argue my case. no student has ever really ridden to school before so its a new thing, yeah lol, i think she's worried about causing a disturbance but im not sure, (its a private school)
GodlyTroop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodlyTroop View Post
so i figure i have my family pretty much down to let me get a motorcycle, my new problem is my schools principal, im planning on going in to talk to her tomorrow and if you guys could help me out with some ways to argue to let me ride to school in the mornings, cause i dont really have a very good idea of how to argue my case. no student has ever really ridden to school before so its a new thing, yeah lol, i think she's worried about causing a disturbance but im not sure
Best way to do it is prove you are responsible. I see you are a football player, that tells me you do well in school( they don't let any burnout play) and are also a responsible, committed young man. Tell her this is your first vehicle and you would like to park it in school property just so you keep an eye on it and it doesn't get damaged outside. If push comes to shove you could always park outside the school and walk the little distance to your school, reality is is they can't dictate what you drive/ride.

TL: DR, be polite, show you are responsible and I'm sure it wont be a problem.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Why do you have to ask the principal? Does the word descrimination mean anything! I take it students can drive cars to school.

If you have to explain yourself I would bring up the fact that you are saving gas with a bike (more money for college), you have taken the motorcycle course ( I hope you have) which shows responsibility, the fact that you will be on a 250 not a 600 or 1000 (which shows your not on a bike that would be over your head in experience), that you will be wearing proper gear, and the fact that your parents are OK with it and they are more strick with you than school is.

Don't mention that the girls will think you're the coolest guy in school, that they all will want a ride, or that you will be riding them (some on the bike).

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #4
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Yea, I cant see hwo you would need the principles permission.
Its a public school correct? Means public grounds and you can park your vehicle as a student (get a permit if they require one) on those grounds.
It shouldnt matter if its a MC or cage.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #5
kkim

I don't understand... what legal right would the principal have to say how you come to school? why does this even matter? has it been an issue in the past at your school? if not, I think you're making an issue out of a non issue.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

If you are a legally licensed rider, then i dont see what the principal has anything to say about it. Your principal has no guardian or legal authority to tell you what vehicle you can or cannot operate. Thats between you, the state, your guardian, and the DMV.

The principal should stick with what they were hired to do and manage students, pencils, and paper and stay out of your choice of vehicles. If the principle cant handle that then maybe he/she should rethink the choice of job and go work for the DMV instead.

I wouldnt explain anything, id tell him/her that i will be riding a motorcycle to school, and thats the end of it.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

As the OP said its a private school so the principal could dictate certain policies. I think Dave has a good response for the OP.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
As the OP said its a private school so the principal could dictate certain policies. I think Dave has a good response for the OP.
yep, I missed that it was a private school when I read the original post.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #9
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

yes Kelly, wonder though if principal has even said anything
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I went to public school but I'd imagine that making an appointment to speak with her about it would be a plus (ie. don't simply walk in while the principal may be busy). Explain to her that you're trying to become a more self sufficient person by purchasing your own vehicle and that, by her allowing you to ride to school, it could prove to become a great learning experience for you. Also, you may want your parent(s) to go to the appointment with you as a way of insuring your principal that they are allowing you to purchase the vehicle and trust you enough to ride responsibly. Good luck .

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #11
bdavison
Wartown, USA

This is one of those cases where its better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission.

Its none of their business what you drive.
Going through a meeting and trying to explain your choice of vehicles isnt going to get you very far, and will probably end up creating the problem you were trying to avoid.

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #12
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

You would think as long as your parents let you its not the schools problem. They let you go home alone right, They dont make your parents come pick you up? So how you get home is your choice.
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #13
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

woops delete please :S
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Does the principal put a lot of weight on being eco-conscious? Whether you agree with it or not, a powerful argument is that a bike gets better fuel economy than most hybrids.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #15
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

_Update_

--Update--So i went into talk to the principal today, she gave me a no from the very beginning she said she was worried about safety, she said she cant control who gets on the bike, i said it only has one seat and i have the key, what else,, she tried to act like my parent really, how its more dangerous and i realize that and im willing to take the risk. I even offered to park off campus and she still said no, how in the world does she have the right to say no to that i dont understand. can anybody offer any legal help, this is ridiculous!

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #16
armatt06
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): None right now. Had a built sportster.

Thats ridiculous. I went to a private school and just rode mine several days. I never asked. I only got a few glares from administrators, but I think thats because it was so loud. Besides that, there were never any issues.
armatt06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #17
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

oh yeah and she said i had bad character for wanting a motorcycle, try to figure that one out

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #18
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Park off campus and walk on. I would really like to see her stop you. Then again, having gone to private school at one point in life, I'm well aware of the power principals wield. Tread lightly.

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #19
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

She said i couldnt do that, i know people that live around the school so i could definitively do that but she said no

Old June 13th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #20
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

wait, you're profile says you're from Los Angeles, thats part of the United States...where the hell did your principle get the idea she has any say in what you operate? This isn't a freaking foreign country where teachers have a right to hit students or tell students what they are allowed to do. You made the wrong decision telling her in the first place. You just automatically gave her permission to have a voice in your and your parents decisions.

If I were you and just ride it to school and park in a legal spot. If she says anything i'd have my parents come in and put her in place.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #21
CmichRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quit the football team and boycott until she changes her ways. :P
CmichRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #22
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Paulette, private schools are a different matter than public schools. Principals in private schools can dictate much easier than their public school counterparts.

You don't want to make an enemy out of these people as they can truly make your life miserable. zero tolerance is often seen as a key to the success of their students. If you get your parents involved they might have to threaten legal action if the prinicpal tries to stop you. If it goes that far, all I have to say is some battles are not worth fighting.

Is this a Catholic school? If so, I would take it up with the super-intendent or maybe the priest(s) assigned to the school. If that doesn't work, you could try talking to the Bishop, but I doubt he would hear such a minor case, unless your parents have pull.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #23
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

Its not Catholic luckily lol

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #24
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

I would check your school's policy to see if there is anything in their policy that prevents you from driving/parking a motorcycle on school property. If there is nothing in their policy, they can do NOTHING to you if you ride your motorcycle to school.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #25
Blackwidow

then go get yourself a bicycle...whats the point of arguing with someone that apparently has their mind made up?

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #26
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
luckily? Your chances would have been better if it were.

Is the school non-profit or profit? Is it part of a network of schools under one owner, or is it a franchise or is it completely independent?

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #27
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

independent

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #28
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
then go get yourself a bicycle...whats the point of arguing with someone that apparently has their mind made up?
I'm sure it's the principal () of the thing!

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #29
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
independent
Then unless she is letting someone else ride to school, I think you are screwed. Sure you could carry this to court, and being Cali, you might win, but is it REALLY worth the trouble?

I agree with Paulette, get a bicycle or get a cage.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #30
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Rode my bike to my Catholic highschool when the weather permitted. My parents paid my tuition. Therfore they were in charge.
Sorry Dude, should not have asked and just rode to school. If there was an problem I would have said talk to my parents.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #31
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Rode my bike to my Catholic highschool when the weather permitted. My parents paid my tuition. Therfore they were in charge.
Sorry Dude, should not have asked and just rode to school. If there was an problem I would have said talk to my parents.
yeh, you get points for trying to be a good student and asking for permission, but like everyone else has pointed out, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Try being a little more irresponsible next time

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #32
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Something smells fishy here. I think there is something you arent telling us?

1. Where are your parents in all this? If your legal guardians have given you permission to ride a motorcycle, and you are legally operating it, then your parents need to go have a talk with your principle, and explain in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will be travelling to and from school on your legally operated vehicle.

2. The principle has no legal authority to tell you what you can or cannot do off campus.

3. The principle does have the right to tell you that you cannot bring a motorcycle onto school property. Its private property, and unwanted persons or vehicles can be considered trespassing.

4. If you cant resolve this to your satisfaction, its time for your parents and you to choose a different school, and make sure that your current school understands that the reason they are about to lose you as a paying student, and football player, is because of their prejudice against you, and your choice of vehicle.

The statement she made of "bad character" demonstrates that she has preconcieved prejudices against motorcyclists. She crossed the line with that comment. Its time to get your parents involved.

Judging by your profile pic, you are obviously a good student to be on the football team. How she could say "bad charecter" to a student that has proven their responsible by performing excellent in academics and made the football team shows she is a idiot and not fit to be serving a roll in any education capacity.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #33
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

all i know is as soon as i get out of* (sorry lol) high school im going to get a motorcycle,, into college

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #34
Liber
ninjette.org sage

get into? how old are you? whats the driving age in Cali?

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #35
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
all i know is as soon as i get into high school im going to get a motorcycle

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #36
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
I agree with Paulette, get a bicycle or get a cage.
as much as I love hearing that you agree with me, what happened to your principals () of things

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #37
Blackwidow

P.S. I think this entire thread is Bullshyt! I don't know of any young kid that gives two shyts about what school principals think as long as parents are cool with it.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #38
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Driving age is 16 with a license in CA, but it's expensive since you have to take mandatory classes and stuff. At 18, you just need to go pass the DMV exams. Since he's not in HS yet, he's probably under age. From his first post, he doesn't have a motorcycle yet either.

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #39
GodlyTroop
GodlyTroop

--im 17 jr in high school lol i didnt check my work--

Old June 13th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #40
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

A jr high football team?? Give the guy a break. He looks a little big to be 14
Talk to your parents and have them talk to your principal.
good luck
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote