Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #161
zev42
ninjette.org member

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
Amen... I hate being told that I can ride "anything" if I just slide my ass off the seat and tiptoe on 1 foot while holding up a 400 lb thing. My boyfriend is one of these tall people and we found ONE bike at the dealership that he was tiptoe on. He felt awkward just sitting on it in the showroom. LOL

I really wish they'd make sportbikes with lower seat heights. It doesn't hurt the tall people much as long as the footpeg positioning doesn't cramp them. ;P

For now, my only available option is the 250 (and I'm not flat-footed on it), unless I can lower something else quite a bit. Bigger bikes are really WIDE too. :/
zev42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:17 AM   #162
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Kawasaki does in fact offer an optional "short" seat for the 650R, but they want almost $400 for it!!!!
How much height do you lose with it? If it's 2 inches or greater, it's definitely something I would consider despite the cost! 1 measly inch would not be worth it.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #163
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I was headed up to Howard U. yesterday. Going up this big ass hill and as I got to the top I came up to a big orange Busa. It's 2:00PM , 84 degrees, 95% Humidity, on asphalt, on a hill, in stop and go traffic and in DC. What do you want to be riding Ninja 250 or belly flopping a Busa? The dude looked like he was going to die.

Old September 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #164
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
How much height do you lose with it? If it's 2 inches or greater, it's definitely something I would consider despite the cost! 1 measly inch would not be worth it.
i know for the bmw f800st, the stock seat height is 32.3 inches. with the lower seat it is 31.1 inches and with the low suspension option, it is 29.9 inches.

i was seriously considering purchasing that bike. somehow, the 29.9 inches seemed a lot lower than my 09 ninja. i had a lot more bend in my knee.

the lower seat is a no cost option and the lower suspension is a $175 option. the only thing is that you lose the center stand if you go with the lower suspension option.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #165
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
MotoGP riders don't have to maneuver their own bikes. When they pull into the pits a crewmember catches them and holds the bike up. Same when they launch. The only time they have to put a foot down is on the grid.

Us mere mortals have to deal with crowned roads, backing the bike up against slopes and on crushed stone, etc. etc. etc. Riding is not the problem. Moving the bike around while not riding is.

I've had a bike that i could only tiptoe, and I MUCH prefer being able get my feet down. Makes things vastly more user-friendly. My driveway has a very mild slope to it, and I have to back the bike out of my garage and turn it around manually before I can ride off. With a tall bike it was a huge PITA and I did indeed drop the bike once or twice doing it. With my 250 it's a piece of cake, and it's all because the Ninjette is a little bit shorter.

Something I'd really like to see all these guys who are tall enough that they don't have any problem try is sitting on a cushion thick enough to force them to tiptoe, and have them maneuver the bike around. Believe me, it gets old fast.

To me a bike that's so tall I can't put my foot down is like buying a pair of pants four inches too long. Sure you can turn the cuffs up and look like Opie... or you can just buy a pair that fits you in the first place.
He also rides street bikes on which he can't reach the ground with both feet and his Moto GP crew doesn't follow him around, but that really isn't the issue. My post was more of a "think positive if you really want something" because of the frustration she posted. Pedrosa was just a humorous example. Many people move thier bikes around by walking beside it, then mounting it to ride away because they can't reach the ground with both feet while mounted... it's far from uncommon.

Talonne, if telling you that you could do it made you mad, I apologize, it wasn't my intention... I was only trying to throw a "positive- funny" thought at the subject.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #166
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

i love my 250, but ive never been on anything bigger and would definitely like to try some bigger bikes out one day, so i really can't say yet. chances are ill like teh 250 the best because im not a big guy and dont think i need that much power in a bike, but im not going to completely avoid anything bigger

Old September 24th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #167
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Talonne, if telling you that you could do it made you mad, I apologize, it wasn't my intention... I was only trying to throw a "positive- funny" thought at the subject.
No no! It wasn't your comment I was referring to. Putting only one foot down is something I can do now and it's how I deal with the 250. The way people suggest that I handle larger bikes just seems kind of insane to me, you know? Easy enough for them to say -- they'll never ever have to slide right off the bike and balance on a toe! And even if I could master that, I'd have a hell of a time trying to park.

Please don't apologize.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #168
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Don't worry, there are some bikes out there that everyone but Shaq needs to deal with in the same way. Check out Annie sitting on the HP2:

Both feet dangling 6"+ off of the ground. No, she didn't ride it that day. I couldn't touch on either side either when on the kickstand, but was a little closer than she was. I don't think anyone would postulate that it's a fantastic idea that people can't reach the ground comfortably, it's just a matter of packaging and design choices on many modern bikes that dictate a higher seat. What it comes down to sometimes for owners at the end of the process, is a determination of the lesser of two evils; lowering the bike to make it more comfortable while moving around at a stop, and accepting the lessened performance, capabilities, and maybe comfort while the bike is in motion and reaching the ground isn't a factor. It's a bit of a trade-off, and I don't think anyone faults anybody for dealing with the trade-off in a way that works best for them; I think the only pushback is intended to make sure those that are making those decisions are aware of the trade-offs, that's all.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #169
MtnCruiser
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2 2004 Ninja 250 and 2008 VTX 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
I love how varied the answers are here. I assumed everyone was going to say they are ready to upgrade. I see I was way off...

I guess this hits home for me because I am so conflicted about my 250. It's my first bike. I've only had it for 3 months. But I realize it's not meeting expectations. Power is a part of the equation. But, it's mainly because I know that I am going to have to spend a decent amount of money and time to get the bike exactly where I want it: Clip-ons, exhaust, tires, rearsets, windshield, and various tweaks like shimming. Money-wise, it's in the 600 territory when it's all done.

To be honest, I got the 250 because of peer-pressure. Everyone kept saying: "You need to start with a smaller bike." "A 600 is going to jump from under you since you are just learning how to ride." "You are going to die since you don't know how to handle that power." So, I caved and got the 250. Now that I've been riding for a bit, I can say that all of those things said about the larger bikes are true, but also true for the 250. You are just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250. In some cases, I think you are more likely, but that's a whole different topic.

I'm hoping my attitude about the bike will change once I move back to DC. I like riding it. And as most people say, it's a blast! I just don't think South Florida is the place to have a 250.
If you think you will end up spending a lot of money on the Ninja just wait until you move up to a bigger bike. You'll end up wanting to make changes to it such as power commanders, steering stabilizers etc and most of the parts are much more expensive than parts for the 250. The 600's can have a voracious appetite for tires and they can cost as much as 2 - 3 times what a set of tires cost for the 250. On top of all of that you have to add in higher insurance cost, lower fuel mileage. etc.

As for being just as likely to get in an accident, go down, or die on the 250... When you actually get to take a ride on an RR and take it up to redline through a couple of gears your outlook on that might change.

I don't think South Florida is honestly a good place to have any kind of motorcycle. It's too hot and bikes and sand don't go well together. A sportbike of any kind is pretty much wasted there, the only good curves you can find are on an offramp.
MtnCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #170
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Some good curves on the beach too.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #171
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

I love my 250 and I hope to keep it when I get another bike, but I will have to save lots of pennies because I have my heart set on one of these:

I love long distance rides and I can't find a bike I would like to have more than a BMW 1200 rt. The styling, weight, handling and power are all exactly what I'm looking for

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #172
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevrfastenuf View Post
BMW 1200 rt.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 25th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #173
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
I love long distance rides and I can't find a bike I would like to have more than a BMW 1200 rt. The styling, weight, handling and power are all exactly what I'm looking for
Very nice! I'm looking at the GS version. Will be a long time till the pennies are saved up for that... But, I'll always have a 250.
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #174
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All this time I hadn't noticed your list of bikes below your name ...how do you like your BMW?

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #175
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i wish i could just have a bike collection and ride whatever i want whenever i feel like it...but since this is real life....i was getting ready to buy a 07 gsx-r600...great bike...it's as light as the ninja...i was on my way with cash in hand and when i thought about having to sell my bike i just couldn't do it....i still really want that gsx-r but giving up my ninja for it....not yet...maybe around christmas when i can get a super deal....or next summer...who knows...i have done everything i can to make my bike more like a 600 but the botton line is it's still a 250...it's fun and i love it...but is it enough to keep me satisfied forever....no
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #176
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
how do you like your BMW?
Fun bike! More info on what I've done to that machine right up here...

Old September 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #177
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
....i was getting ready to buy a 07 gsx-r600...great bike...it's as light as the ninja
um, not really. it's a good 70lbs or more heavier than the 250.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 Comparison
Unchanged for 2007, the Suzuki GSX-R600 will still give any of these Supersport bikes a run for its money.2007 Suzuki GSX-R600MSRP: $8,899Weight: 407 lbs (empty tank)Weight Distribution: 51.7% F (w/full tank)Peak HP: 101.8 @ 13,400 rpmPeak Torque: 43.2 lb-ft @ 11,100 rpm1/4-mile: 10.75 @ 132.8…
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #178
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
um, not really. it's a good 70lbs or more heavier than the 250.

2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 Comparison
Unchanged for 2007, the Suzuki GSX-R600 will still give any of these Supersport bikes a run for its money.2007 Suzuki GSX-R600MSRP: $8,899Weight: 407 lbs (empty tank)Weight Distribution: 51.7% F (w/full tank)Peak HP: 101.8 @ 13,400 rpmPeak Torque: 43.2 lb-ft @ 11,100 rpm1/4-mile: 10.75 @ 132.8…
it's acually 354lb http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...7/GSXR600.aspx compared to the ninja at 333 http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/pro...ns.aspx?id=263

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #179
kkim

you shouldn't go by manufactures claims... they all lie.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #180
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
bastards!!!

Old September 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #181
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
bastards!!!

Potty fingers!!

Old September 26th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #182
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
That's probably the listed dry weight as well (which is usually exaggerated). I believe that the lightest 2009 model middle weight supersport weighed in at like 420lbs soaking wet....and it wasn't the gixxer.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #183
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

I want to upgrade to a cbr600rr eventually... If I could afford to I would keep the ninja but I can't.

andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #184
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
I want to upgrade to a cbr600rr eventually... If I could afford to I would keep the ninja but I can't.

wut he siad

Old October 25th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #185
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

The 250 is a great bike, but after a little over a year of riding I really wish the bike had fuel injection, a more aggressive riding position, and of course a tad more power.

As soon as I have 10g's to drop on a new toy (which isn't likely to be anytime soon at all) I'm moving to a Triumph Daytona 675, and probably giving the little Ninja to a family member to start them on a 2-wheel addiction!
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #186
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

After 10,000 miles, I think I'm comfortably able to say that I'll stick with this bike as long as it sticks with me. If I had unlimited funds I'd add an '09+ 650R, but I just don't think I could ever replace it with one... no sir.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #187
overload
certified ninja 250r FAN

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Honda XL 125 and Kawasaki Ninja 250r '09

I'll be honest here ... i went from a 125 to the ninjette and maybe in a year or two i might make the jump up to either a zx-6r or a 600RR ... also personally i think that if you gonna spend $14000+ on a bike it HAS to be able to pull you from 0 to 120KM/h in a short space of time to fight its way on the freeway ... i'm not a squid but i definitely enjoy riding on the freeway with a big engine ...
overload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #188
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
As soon as I have 10g's to drop on a new toy (which isn't likely to be anytime soon at all) I'm moving to a Triumph Daytona 675, and probably giving the little Ninja to a family member to start them on a 2-wheel addiction!

I like the way you think.

nb

Old October 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #189
danknation
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I feel like a giant on a lawnmower riding down the highway on the 250, it simply does not have enough power. In Texas the average highway cruising speed is 75 or more on highways. If some idiot comes running up on my tail(which happens a lot) I don't even have the power to speed up and move out of his way.

I've driven Honda Civics that have more power and ability to move out of the 18 wheeler kill zone when need be. I am simply not satisifed with the dinky power of this thing. I've been riding it for four months on top of sporadic experience before that and will continue riding through the winter. When spring rolls around it's time for a zx-6 and my misses to have her way with the ninjette.
danknation is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #190
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It bears mentioning here that a bike this small, light and low-powered is hugely sensitive to the size of the rider -- both physical stature and weight. Comments like "it's way too underpowered" or "it's got plenty of power" really need to be taken in context.

I'm considerably below average size for an American male (5'7" if I eat my Wheaties, and about 175 lbs.). Therefore there's a lot less aerodynamic drag because I'm physically smaller than most guys, and perhaps less weight to lug because I'm lighter than many.

I find the Ninjette to be adequate on the highway. If I tuck (i.e., retract the big air brake that is my torso) I can get a lot more acceleration out of it, even starting at 75 mph, than I can out of my car. (No, I don't drive a muscle car... I drive a Honda Fit, which is exactly what the Civic used to be 20 years ago in terms of size and power -- I owned one of those, too.)

When talking about safety on the highway, my benchmark isn't other bikes. It's cars. I can travel safely on the highway in my car. I can get out of the way, pass when I need to, etc. etc. If my bike can do the same or better, then it has sufficient power. Maybe not enough power to be hugely fun, but sufficient. For me, the Ninjette passes that test.

The 250 can carry 375 pounds, IIRC. Figure out what fraction of that your weight is. If you took that Honda Civic you mentioned and loaded it proportionately, I bet it wouldn't accelerate worth squat, either.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #191
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How's this for context? I weight close to 250lbs and I have to back off the throttle constantly. I zip around in and out of traffic commuting on the freeways every day and have more than enough "passing power." This is bone-stock too. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone larger than me is riding and making those comments, and these are my impressions at almost 10K miles with a cross-country trip thrown in there, so I'd say that it has MORE than enough power.

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #192
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

I came down fom a cbr 900rr to my 250, I d love to get my hand on a 08 or 09 250 eventually, the roads around here are no more then 60 mph twesties and I cant exploit the 250, or ride it to its full capacity, so who am I kidding, the 250s just too much fun & there's always something new to learn on it
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #193
danknation
ninjette.org member

Who wants to tuck or click it down a gear just to make a pass? I'm 6'0 175. It's just not powerful enough for me. I cannot comprehend how you have to back off the throttle in traffic? I have to romp on it in in 1st and 2nd just to stay with the flow of traffic around here.

Also, another reason to go bigger, so I dont have to run wide open throttle in a tuck in 6th just to cruise the highway. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. I've done the same trips on friends GSXR and R6 with incredible improvement. Not only does it have enough power to move out of people's way but it also doesn't take every last bit of power to ride into a slight headwind at 75-80mph. On the bigger bikes I can ride completely upright, comfortably, for 50 miles down the highway doing 80. It is smooth as can be and not bobbing all around from wind like the 250.

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #194
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I spent four hours zipping faster than everyone else yesterday at 80-90+ MPH indicated, backing off to stay away from 100MPH. I consistently moved faster than traffic. I half-tucked ONCE when I was having fun by taking an exit that runs parallel to the freeway before returning (didn't even lay down on my tank bag). I was just trying to see how many more people I could pass that way rather than staying on the freeway. I was loaded down with heavy tools from Harbor Freight but I even had to slow down to merge and traffic was still at 80+ indicated. I did not down shift to make any pass that day.

Anyone who "needs" more passing power is just greedy or not satisfied with "more than enough." It's not a bad thing, but it's not truly a "need." It's just the same as driving a cage... some people gotta have expensive sports cars even though your average performance car has more than enough passing power. You don't really NEED it... you WANT it.

Old October 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #195
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
How's this for context? I weight close to 250lbs and I have to back off the throttle constantly. I zip around in and out of traffic commuting on the freeways every day and have more than enough "passing power." This is bone-stock too. I HIGHLY doubt that anyone larger than me is riding and making those comments, and these are my impressions at almost 10K miles with a cross-country trip thrown in there, so I'd say that it has MORE than enough power.
I have to second this. I'm 5'9" and ~240 lbs. I also often strap a heavy bag to the back and am always wearing full gear. No issues at all with the power on the 250. I often ride the freeway to work. Even against the wind I have no issues. Maybe the bikes you guys got weren't assembled right? I don't know, but I just can't comprehend why people that are so much lighter then me have a "power" issue. This thing is FAST! I usually do 70 around here on the freeway and have plenty of throttle/speed to pass, if needed.

If you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade, then just upgrade already.

EDIT: I'm having Deja vu... Didn't we already have this conversation in another thread???
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #196
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danknation View Post
Who wants to tuck or click it down a gear just to make a pass? I'm 6'0 175. It's just not powerful enough for me. I cannot comprehend how you have to back off the throttle in traffic? I have to romp on it in in 1st and 2nd just to stay with the flow of traffic around here.

Also, another reason to go bigger, so I dont have to run wide open throttle in a tuck in 6th just to cruise the highway. It's inconvenient and uncomfortable. I've done the same trips on friends GSXR and R6 with incredible improvement. Not only does it have enough power to move out of people's way but it also doesn't take every last bit of power to ride into a slight headwind at 75-80mph. On the bigger bikes I can ride completely upright, comfortably, for 50 miles down the highway doing 80. It is smooth as can be and not bobbing all around from wind like the 250.
you should have done some research before buying your bike then

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #197
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I spent four hours zipping faster than everyone else yesterday at 80-90+ MPH indicated, backing off to stay away from 100MPH. I consistently moved faster than traffic. I tucked ONCE when I was having fun by taking an exit that runs parallel to the freeway before returning. I was just trying to see how many more people I could pass that way rather than staying on the freeway. I even had to slow down to merge and traffic was still at 80+ indicated. I did not down shift to make any pass that day.

Anyone who "needs" more passing power is just greedy or not satisfied with "more than enough." It's not a bad thing, but it's not truly a "need." It's just the same as driving a cage... some people gotta have expensive sports cars even though your average performance car has more than enough passing power. You don't really NEED it... you WANT it.
Some people do "NEED" more passing power than others. A 250 Ninja is far from "more than enough." It's closer to "just enough to get you by." It's nothing like driving a cage. I just might really NEED it... not just WANT it.

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #198
danknation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkay3 View Post
you should have done some research before buying your bike then
I did plenty of research, thanks though. I settled on the 250 for a few reasons.

1. It will be my fiance's when I am done with it.
2. I wanted to learn to RIDE a bike. Not ride a BIKE.
3. Affordability at the time.

I didn't say I hated the thing, just that when it came time I wanted more power. In my riding conditions I would consider it somewhat safe, but not entirely. The posted limits on highways around here are 70 with the cruising speed in the slow lane around 76. The highways are raised and there is nothing around it to break the wind. The ninjette is more affected by wind(weight and power) than the larger bikes i've ridden. Not only does the ninjette more laterally but if I am riding in any kind of head wind I can't pass or speed up in a manner I am comfortable with. Idiots and 18wheelers come flying up so fast around here I want to be able to move in a hurry.

You don't have to agree with me, I was just replying to the OP's question. Don't take offense if I don't praise your baby as highly as you do. I love my ninjette when it comes to lower speeds but for my normal commute it does not do the trick. Don't get me wrong, once we get down under 60 and in the few twisties we can find I leave my other friends in the dust. None of the down low performance matters when I consistently do daily commutes down a straight highway at 70+.

Geez, can we go on to the next person whose opinions we don't approve of now, please? :rollseyes:

Last futzed with by danknation; October 26th, 2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #199
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I've counted about 4 highway complaints just in the last 1/4 of this page, I'm a little confused about what you guys are possibly doing so horribly wrong that you're having trouble?

Cruising about 80 the engine is already revving right in the sweet spot of the powerband, a little twist of the wrist and you can rocket up to 100 before you realize it. How is that not enough power to pass other vehicles on the highway? (and at 6' 200lbs + gear, I'm not a light guy by any stretch).
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #200
danknation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The highways are raised and there is nothing around it to break the wind.
If I get on the highway I am in wind the entire time. It may just be a few mphs every now and then but it is enough to brick wall me at 80mph if I try to speed up. Typically, if I am doing 80 and the cage next to me is doing 80 I either have to click it down or tuck to pass him. I am curious what Addy or any of the other guys that ride 35W or E around Dallas have to say.