ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Frozen ignition cylinder

Yesterday morning I wen't outside to try and start my bike, to go to work, and I could not unlock the fork lock, I tried for about 30min, and finally gave up and took my mom's car to work. It was about 21° outside, I don't know if that had anything to do with it, as I have only rode below freezing once before.

When I got home it was about 31° and I tried for about 10min before it finally unlocked. I did not lock it back for fear of it getting stuck again. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I think I messed up my car pretty bad yesterday morning, I don't want to get into that here, but I'm probably going to be bike only for a while. I'm don't really want to leave my bike parked in random places with the fork unlocked(although I'm sure it will be fine), but nevertheless I'm still paranoid that someone will push my bike away.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What was locked? The fork wouldn't move, or the key wouldn't move the ignition cylinder? Jiggling the fork a little back and forth is usually enough to allow the ignition cylinder to turn easily. If the ignition cylinder itself is frozen, there are sprays that you can spritz in there to quickly melt any remaining ice to allow it to move. There are lubes that are made for this, once it is free, to keep it moving freely going forward. But in a pinch, WD-40 will work reasonably well.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

When I would put the key in and push down I just could not get it to turn, no matter how much I jiggled the forks. It just felt like the cylinder was jammed up.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I had a little water get in there last winter and cause the same thing. Now that it's free, just work some good lube in both the ignition cylinder and the fork lock mechanism, mebbe pick up a bottle of lock de-icer like Alex suggested and you should be fine

Old January 3rd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #5
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Nothing really to add on the frozen up ninja at all, just reminds me of a funny story.

I was working up at Ft Riley in Kansas, had been snowing for a week. Camaro was looking like crap(really dirty), and it since it was such a nice clear day. I thought we would wash the car off at the self service place(I wondered at the time why it was empty). Anyway the next morning we couldnt get the key in the door, either door. Was pretty funny at the time, never happen to me before. I felt pretty stupid
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

I just came back from a 40mi ride. It was torture, and its only 27°, tomorrow when I go to work it will be like 15°, I'm not looking forward to it.

It felt stuck again when I started it earlier, and it was in the off pos, not locked. I jiggled it a few times, and it broke free. About halfway threw the ride I noticed my right turn signal was not working, but it started working when I got close to home. When I got home, my legs were so cold, that they did not want to work properly when I got off the bike, and I think I was close to getting frostbite on my feet. I also sprayed some WD-40 on my key and turned the key to lock, off, and on a few times. Hopefully that should work.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I am just wondering if there is some sort of plastic cap available to put over the ignition switch. I`ll start looking, and if I find something, I will post it. Obviously it will be something intended for another purpose--like for a salt shaker or some such thing.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Nothing really to add on the frozen up ninja at all, just reminds me of a funny story.

I was working up at Ft Riley in Kansas, had been snowing for a week. Camaro was looking like crap(really dirty), and it since it was such a nice clear day. I thought we would wash the car off at the self service place(I wondered at the time why it was empty). Anyway the next morning we couldnt get the key in the door, either door. Was pretty funny at the time, never happen to me before. I felt pretty stupid
A similar thing happened to me in the short when I worked up in KY. There was a major ice storm that covered the entire car with at minmum 1/2" thick ice sheet. There were some places on the roof that were a many inches thick!

Thankfully I had a remote to unlock and left the thing to run and thaw while I chipped the windshield for an hour before I could drive. The door made the most awful CRUNCH sound as I opened it and huge sheets of ice broke free from the side of the car. I couldn't imagine what this would have been like if I didn't have a remote. Naturally the ice stuck better to the windows than to the painted surfaces... Murphy's Law dicated that one, but it was probably the fresh wax job on the paint that rejected the ice.

I have some pictures somewhere... I had FL license plates at the time, too, haha. That was also the ducks' first winter experience, they hate snow!
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #9
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
I also sprayed some WD-40 on my key and turned the key to lock, off, and on a few times. Hopefully that should work.
Stick the key barely into the lock and spray around it with WD-40. The lock cylinder was just frozen.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #10
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

hold key over cigarette lighter to warm it up, put key in lock, job done.

Old January 6th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Stick the key barely into the lock and spray around it with WD-40. The lock cylinder was just frozen.
I ended up spraying the key with WD-40 after the temps had warmed up, seems to have helped, although it still feels a little sticky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
hold key over cigarette lighter to warm it up, put key in lock, job done.
A friend who was from Detroit told me about this a long time ago, I was thinking about it when I could not turn the key. I ended up running my bic out of fluid trying get the key hot, I just would not heat up. So then I got frustrated and started trying to breath on it to no effect.

Old January 7th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #12
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

I wasn't going to mention this, but since you are having "severe" problems, I will. You can also use WD-40 as a miniature torch and heat the ignition cylinder! Put the plastic straw on the WD-40 and hold your lighter a couple of inches below the cylinder. Light the lighter and squirt the WD-40 in the flame. It won't hurt the cylinder, as it will warm it up!

Once the weather warms up, soak the ignition cylinder with WD-40. It displaces moisture.

Spraying the key does nothing to warm the ignition or key.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #13
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
So then I got frustrated and started trying to breath on it to no effect.
LOL...hope there was nobody around while you were performing this
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #14
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Lock froze on me this morning.
the de-icer worked like a champ.

Old December 11th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I went to NAPA and got the napa brand "lock-ease" which works like a charm and will not freeze again this year, keeping fingers crossed.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
evidens83
bike noob

Name: ev

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r(sold) 04 Yamaha R6

Same thing happened to me over the weekend. I spent a good 20 minutes jiggling and cussing til the key finally turned. Considering it was around 25 degrees I'm guessing the lock was frozen. Time for some de-icer!
evidens83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #17
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I have used a hair dryer
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #18
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Link to original page on YouTube.

Had this happen to me for the first time this morning. I eventually was able to get the key in the lock but it wouldn't turn even after wiggling the bars. Tried heating the key with a lighter but I ran out of time and jumped in the car. Should I cap the ignition somehow or is there a antifreeze type lube that's safe to use and won't rust?

agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #19
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

try some wd-40 followed by white lithium grease

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #20
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Cool I'll give that a try when I get home.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2014, 03:53 PM   #21
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
A similar thing happened to me in the short when I worked up in KY. There was a major ice storm that covered the entire car with at minmum 1/2" thick ice sheet. There were some places on the roof that were a many inches thick!

Thankfully I had a remote to unlock and left the thing to run and thaw while I chipped the windshield for an hour before I could drive. The door made the most awful CRUNCH sound as I opened it and huge sheets of ice broke free from the side of the car. I couldn't imagine what this would have been like if I didn't have a remote. Naturally the ice stuck better to the windows than to the painted surfaces... Murphy's Law dicated that one, but it was probably the fresh wax job on the paint that rejected the ice.

I have some pictures somewhere... I had FL license plates at the time, too, haha. That was also the ducks' first winter experience, they hate snow!
Similar to that a few years ago, had a bunch of ice fall one night, a good half inch and after reaching across from the passenger side to open the driver's door and letting the defroster run a few minutes, I jumped in and somehow thought rolling down the window was a good idea. It rolled down just fine, leaving a sheet of ice where it had been.

I thought oh, that's pretty cool I better take a picture. So I open the door, grab my phone and in an effort to get the lighting and everything right I closed the door back. And the sheet of ice collapsed into the car, soaking my heated seats.

Not a fun drive to work between the soggy arse and Tenneseans panicking over the ice.