Notices

Old September 10th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #1
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
VIN Report Scam Alert

I'm trying to sell a Hyosung GV650 (Korean cruiser) for a friend. This morning I got an email through Craigslist, asking me to run a vehicle history report because it was a long drive and the guy really wanted to be sure the title was OK. He asked me to go to vinjunction.us, buy a report, send it to him, and he'd pay me back Tuesday when he came to look at the bike. I needed to go to that site specifically, because his mechanic recommended it.

A little searching turned up that vinjunction.us is registered in Serbia, and that there's a current scam going on exactly like this. If I go to that site, and there are probably others like it, and enter my credit card information to pay for a vehicle history report, a guy in Serbia gets my credit card information.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old September 10th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #2
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
There are only two VIN report sites I trust that you pay for. The other is a free stolen database check.

NICB is free and simply checks to see if it's reported stolen: https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Carfax, of course.

And AutoCheck. I've used all of the above before.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:28 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If he is so worried about it, give him the VIN #s and let him run the check himself.

You could also text him a photo of the Title (with your name and info blocked out with a post-it or something) to show it's a clear Title if you felt you needed to do something to reassure him.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good ideas for a legitimate buyer, but in this case it's clear he's not one of those.

Update: I found out some more about the scam here: http://scam-detector.com/auto-scams/...ry-report-scam

It's not as bad as I thought. That is, they're not trying to get my credit card number. Instead, vinjunction.us is just a redirect site. Going there takes me to vinjunction.com, which apparently really does give vehicle history reports. The scam is that by using vinjunction.us, the guy who emailed me gets a commision for sending business to vinjunction.com. Once he finds out I got the report, he'll back out of the deal, since he got his couple bucks.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; September 10th, 2016 at 11:06 AM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #5
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Glad you didn't fall for the scam. We've used Carfax and it was accurate as far as I could tell.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks for keeping us informed.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Glad you didn't fall for the scam. We've used Carfax and it was accurate as far as I could tell.
I don't have any experience with Carfax, but a guy posted on the Guzzi board "I ran Carfax on my own vehicles and they all came back clean even though one was involved in a near total wreck. A couple of others had dealer repairs. A waste of money."

Old September 11th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
It only shows on a VIN check if the accident or repair is reported. If the insurance company or repair shop doesn't report it, it won't show.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2016, 12:56 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It seems like a thorough inspection of the vehicle and checking the VIN with the police department if in doubt (like if no title is available), is way more important than online vehicle reports.

Old September 12th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
I used to sell cars and I had a guy come in once that had been in a wreck. His car had frame damage that had been fixed and whole bunch of other stuff he told us about. The Carfax was clean when the manager pulled it. I was told Carfax only reports accidents that they are informed of by the police departments.
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Don't trust the Car Fox
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #12
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
We do not have online checking for VINs in Malaysia, but you need to bring the vehicle physically at one of the inspection branches. Report will be issued later on and with that report you will take it for ownership transfer to the new buyer.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:08 AM   #13
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Name: Carol

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninjette ex 250

eeeeek

Hi, I am a title clerk for a car dealer and use these reports and reporting agencies every day. Here are your options-

R.BURDGE (C)2005-2012, Who's best? Carfax or Autocheck or Nmvtis and vehicle history reports?
Retrieved from "Consumer Rights Law Blog"

"Getting an accurate motor vehicle title history online can cost a few bucks but it can save a lot of headaches and keep you from getting a lemon used car. But only if you check all 3 online vehicle history websites plus your own state records too.

Carfax costs about $35 and has done a great job of selling itself as the "gold standard" on vehicle title reports, but we don't think it is enough if you want to know the most you can know about a used car before you take a chance on it. Carfax only uses some sources and not all that are out there.

Autocheck, which costs about $30) is another company that does the same thing and they reportedly use some of the same and some different sources of data.

Another little known but highly accurate one is NMVTIS (about $2 to $7, but beware of fake NMVTIS web sites) which is actually a web site resource that was set up with federal government assistance and guidelines because of the problems with data holes in Carfax and AutoCheck - and it is the cheapest of the bunch. And if you click here, you'll find a cheaper shortcut to the Nmvtis data where it'll cost you just about $2 - for that price, it's a bargain and a great starting place for online vehicle research.

There are some other title history web sites on the internet but these three are the "big three" of the bunch.

The simple truth, though, is that if you want to know everything there is about a vehicle's past history then the best thing to do is get a report from all three vehicle history sources. "

At work, we print all 3, but we are a dealer so we get a better rate and what have you.
Allot of follks have not even heard of NMVITIS.

hope this helps...

Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:45 AM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good information, thanks Carol. It's too bad that to get information from all three sources, you're out about $70. If you're shopping for a vehicle and have several candidates, it could get expensive.

How would you rate the three, best worst, and in the middle?

Edit: It looks like for my state it's $1 for a vehicle report, or $14 if I want the report to be officially certified. So for my own use, it's only a buck for the state version.

Old October 4th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #15
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Good information, thanks Carol. It's too bad that to get information from all three sources, you're out about $70. If you're shopping for a vehicle and have several candidates, it could get expensive.

How would you rate the three, best worst, and in the middle?

Edit: It looks like for my state it's $1 for a vehicle report, or $14 if I want the report to be officially certified. So for my own use, it's only a buck for the state version.
OMG, was just typing my response and almost done with it and blam page goes forward or something all that typing gone. ugggghhh

Anyway, I am quite certain the NMVITS contains the most info, all of the banks we work with require that the customer sign each page of the report before they will fund a deal. They could care less about the other two.
carfax, and the other one, drawing a blank there. Still annoyed about the loss of so much typing a second ago.

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is a program of the U.S. Department of Justice intended to keep and protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles. AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators) operates the system now.[1] Federal Law has mandated businesses and agencies such as Insurance Carriers, State Motor Vehicle Tilting Agencies, Auto Recyclers and Junk/Salvage Yards to regularly report to NMVTIS. NMVTIS refers the public to a list of approved private vendors who sell vehicle reports from the NMVTIS database.[2]

Source: Wikipedia
NMVTIS contains title information from states as well as information from insurance carriers, auto recyclers and junk and salvage yards, including over 75 million salvage or total loss records. As of 2014, 96% of US DMV data is represented in the system. NMVTIS offers consumer access to vehicle history information such as a vehicle's current state of title and title issue dates, previous states of title, odometer readings recorded at the time of title issuance, as well as title brands and junk, salvage and total loss records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_history_report

Old October 4th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Thanks very much Carol. I'm sorry you had to type so much, but I'll put the information to good use.

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #17
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Word of warning with NICB. I just bought a 2011 from an owner who had the bike stolen then returned. Prior to going to get it, I did check on NICB and the bike showed clean. Got the the bike from the person on the title and from the address listed on the title. Went to the DMV...and they called the cops. Turned out the bike was still flagged as stolen. Luckily, the two officers that showed up were cool and we ended up getting a hold of the previous owner who again confirmed it was returned and gave them the police case #. The officers had to make some call to get the stolen flag fully removed. Long story short, not sure how long it takes for a title status to propagate to all of these databases but if possible, it may be worth checking with local pd.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #18
sparklenation
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklenation View Post
OMG, was just typing my response and almost done with it and blam page goes forward or something all that typing gone. ugggghhh

Anyway, I am quite certain the NMVITS contains the most info, all of the banks we work with require that the customer sign each page of the report before they will fund a deal. They could care less about the other two.
carfax, and the other one, drawing a blank there. Still annoyed about the loss of so much typing a second ago.

National Motor Vehicle Title Information System

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) is a program of the U.S. Department of Justice intended to keep and protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles. AAMVA (American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators) operates the system now.[1] Federal Law has mandated businesses and agencies such as Insurance Carriers, State Motor Vehicle Tilting Agencies, Auto Recyclers and Junk/Salvage Yards to regularly report to NMVTIS. NMVTIS refers the public to a list of approved private vendors who sell vehicle reports from the NMVTIS database.[2]

Source: Wikipedia
NMVTIS contains title information from states as well as information from insurance carriers, auto recyclers and junk and salvage yards, including over 75 million salvage or total loss records. As of 2014, 96% of US DMV data is represented in the system. NMVTIS offers consumer access to vehicle history information such as a vehicle's current state of title and title issue dates, previous states of title, odometer readings recorded at the time of title issuance, as well as title brands and junk, salvage and total loss records.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_history_report

I have to update this answer, today when talking to my boss he told me that Autocheck is actually the more accurate. I suppose its a Ymmv type thing

Old October 7th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

More information is always good, thanks. I have to say I like the $1 version though.