ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Green/Black/White Ninja 250R

Good fabric waterproofing spray for whites?

Does anyone know of a good waterproofing fabric spray that is safe to use on whites? I have a backpack that I want to protect from the rain, but it has some white panels on it and I don't want them to turn yellow-ish.
Little_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Now that you've made me think of it, I don't ever recall waterproofing white. I've waterproofed lots of dark colors and have no Idea if the treatment discolored.

This might be hard to find out too as I'd guess discoloring might come from the sun, over time.

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Now that you've made me think of it, I don't ever recall waterproofing white. I've waterproofed lots of dark colors and have no Idea if the treatment discolored.

This might be hard to find out too as I'd guess discoloring might come from the sun, over time.
Yeah that's true that it may just plain oxidize. I tried to Google it and a bunch of waterproof white coats and such come up or waterproofing products that don't answer my question in the description.

I have a great waterproofing spray that I have treated my tank bag and boots with, but I realized it's yellow colored when spraying and the can warns of possible discoloration.

If anyone hears of anything, let me know!

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

I use kiwi camp dry for most everything, although it's not a good choice for leather because it's silicone base will clog the pores causing it not to breathe well. But it's great for any textiles, and fabrics. Camp dry also lasts a fair bit longer compared to a lot of the other products I've tried.

Really the only way to test if how it'll work on your item is to test it on an inconspicuous area first.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
kkim

scotch guard?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
Really the only way to test if how it'll work on your item is to test it on an inconspicuous area first.
Yeah, I suppose I could test some stuff on another scrap piece of white fabric or something since a spot test would be obvious on the actual pack... Just sucks having to buy stuff and try it out and then if it doesn't work and I return it, the business has to write it off as defective. Kind of a waste, but oh well...

Thanks for the help, guys. Was hoping someone would know of some magic product out there, but I guess if there is one, I will have to find it for myself. Dang it. Lol.

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Get black stuff

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:37 PM   #8
sergemoat
ninjette.org member

Name: serge

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

At work we use this magical waterproofing stuff for boat covers called 303 high tech fabric guard. They claim it "will not alter fabric color, feel, flammability or breathability" might be worth a look: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm There's a video where they have a white jacket thats treated not sure if it'll discolor over time, however.
sergemoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 06:40 PM   #9
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergemoat View Post
At work we use this magical waterproofing stuff for boat covers called 303 high tech fabric guard. They claim it "will not alter fabric color, feel, flammability or breathability" might be worth a look: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...bric-guard.cfm There's a video where they have a white jacket thats treated not sure if it'll discolor over time, however.
Sweet! Thank you! I will look into it.

Old June 5th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #10
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I'm not sure why you want to waterproof it.. But if it's to keep the stuff you store inside it dry in the event of expected rainfall, a hiking tip is to put a trashbag in first, then put in your gear, tie it up, and zip it up. You can also buy those huge ziplock bags (I mean huge). If it is for the unexpected storm... Then look into Silicone spray? It shouldn't have as much of a discoloration, but always spot-test first!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #11
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I'm not sure why you want to waterproof it.. But if it's to keep the stuff you store inside it dry in the event of expected rainfall, a hiking tip is to put a trashbag in first, then put in your gear, tie it up, and zip it up. You can also buy those huge ziplock bags (I mean huge). If it is for the unexpected storm... Then look into Silicone spray? It shouldn't have as much of a discoloration, but always spot-test first!
I suppose I could just wrap it in a grocery bag, but I really don't see me doing that unless it was an emergency. I'm way to vain. Lol. Yeah I have two sprays here at home, one silicone, one not, but both are yellowish and I'm worried about more severe discoloration over time.

I'm probably going to order some of that 303 Fabric Guard. It has the guarantee and it's not too spendy. Thank you for your help though, I never would have even thought about wrapping the bag in plastic. That's always an option to keep in the back of my mind for an emergency.

Old June 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #12
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Ghost View Post
I'm probably going to order some of that 303 Fabric Guard. It has the guarantee and it's not too spendy.
...would love a firsthand review of the 3OH3! stuff when you get it.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
...would love a firsthand review of the 3OH3! stuff when you get it.
Will do. It's not super high on the priorities, as I don't really plan to do much riding in the rain if I can avoid it, but it is Washington...

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #14
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Wife is a professional canvas person. Tried 303--not as good as Kiwi Camp Dry. Works well on fabric MC Jackets and Pants. Air it out well before wearing it.

Old June 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #15
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I've used Nikwax wash-in waterproofing (with the spray bottle for touch-ups) for years. One of my best friends used to work in their customer service department -- I'll shoot her an email and see if they have an official party line specifically on whites.

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #16
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Here's what she said: "Yes, it should have no (visible) effect on any color - or non-color - item."

Old June 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #17
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

This customer at my work today was buying Scotch Guard and it showed pictures of white furniture and jackets on the front and I asked her if she had used it before on whites and she said yes, that her husband uses it on his motorcycle gear and it works well. So, I ended up buying some since I get a discount. I'll try it out on a corner area as soon as we see some sun here in the next couple days.

If it's not lookng good, I will search for some of that Nikwash.

Thanks guys!

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #18
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Nikwax wash has worked for me in the past on white snowboard gear. It will wear off after a season but my snowboard gear does take a lot of abuse. Just make sure you follow the directions exactly.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #19
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Ghost View Post
I suppose I could just wrap it in a grocery bag, but I really don't see me doing that unless it was an emergency. I'm way to vain. Lol. Yeah I have two sprays here at home, one silicone, one not, but both are yellowish and I'm worried about more severe discoloration over time.

I'm probably going to order some of that 303 Fabric Guard. It has the guarantee and it's not too spendy. Thank you for your help though, I never would have even thought about wrapping the bag in plastic. That's always an option to keep in the back of my mind for an emergency.
Haha, actually I meant to put the trashbag inside your bag first, that way you won't need to make holes for your straps!

Regardless, glad to see you found something that works
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Little_Ghost
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Haha, actually I meant to put the trashbag inside your bag first, that way you won't need to make holes for your straps!

Regardless, glad to see you found something that works
That makes more sense! Should have been obvious. Lol.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #21
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Looking into this again and found this thread. Is it necessary to stick the garment into the dryer? Some of them say you should but I'm worried it might mess with the abrasion characteristics of the fabric in my textile jacket.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:35 PM   #22
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The Nikwax wash can be applied without throwing it in the dryer after. You can also put in them in the dryer and set to air dry if you're worried about the heat doing damage. Just make sure your garments are clean first before you wash them again with the Nikwax. Nikwax sells the tech wash product in a green bottle that you can buy if you want to clean your garments first before you wash them again with the waterproofing agent in the purple bottle. You could also just wash them with a mild detergent. I'm not sure what the process would be for other products.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:34 PM   #23
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
The Nikwax wash can be applied without throwing it in the dryer after. You can also put in them in the dryer and set to air dry if you're worried about the heat doing damage. Just make sure your garments are clean first before you wash them again with the Nikwax. Nikwax sells the tech wash product in a green bottle that you can buy if you want to clean your garments first before you wash them again with the waterproofing agent in the purple bottle. You could also just wash them with a mild detergent. I'm not sure what the process would be for other products.
Did not know that. Thanks for the info. I'll look into the Nikwax brand then.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #24
Rob808
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Have to agree here, 303 products are great, cheap, and cost effective for an
OTC product. It can be found at most boating shops also. I haven't used it much except on details I did on the side. Doesn't attract dust and gives a clean look. If you want something more durable, try looking into the G Technic line of detail products as they offer a product called Smart Fabrik. Application should last well over a year depending on conditions. Or double up and do like what someone else, said, a bag first and then apply your product of choice. G/L!

Rob
Rob808 is offline   Reply With Quote