ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

The big brother

Ok, I went to see a used 07 zx6r today that had fallen on it's side in the back of a truck; The bike has 9,100 miles on it. Well, long story short I ended up buying it for $2500 (which is $100 less than I paid for my ninjette ) The bike is missing the side fairings and has a few scuffs and a small dent in the tank. The seller said he might have 1 of the side fairings with the stock turn signal in it; He's gonna look for it at his house and get back to me (I doubt I'll get it). The following mods came on the bike:

-Power commander III
-Full Two Bro's exhaust (loud as hell)
-'10 zx6r forks
-1 down, 2 up sprockets
- possibly aftermarket clipons (not sure)
-new pilot power front tire (if you consider that a mod)
-Jumper mod

The first thing I noticed when riding it was how large the rear tire and gears are compared to my ninjette. It is nowhere near as flickable as the ninjette. The things I really like about the bike are:
1) the seat (much softer and more comfortable)
2) the tank shape (my knees actually fit under the tank very comfortably)
3) riding position (I'm very tall and have long arms; the more aggressive position actually feels good; I have yet to ride it more than 10-15 miles at a time though)
4) electronic gauge (gear indicator,lap timer,clock,shift light, maybe some other stuff I'm not thinking of)
5) stock rearset position is very comfortable
6) highway speed acceleration (85mph in first gear is great but sucks at the same time; I rarely get the bike above 7k rpms)

Overall I think I got a decent deal. I'll try and post up pics tomorrow. BTW, this is not replacing my ninjette! I mainly bought this bike as a winter project to work on and possibly re-sell for a profit or keep as a weekend bike.

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #2
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

wth is this! you take your time to right all that and no pics XD?

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
wth is this! you take your time to right all that and no pics XD?
Fine, fine. Here's a teaser I took when I parked it earlier. It's not gonna look very good until I get the side fairings.

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #4
rusninja

more more! X]

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #5
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I hate how the exhaust looks like that under the seat. Might just be the picture though.

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I hate how the exhaust looks like that under the seat. Might just be the picture though.
It might be hard to tell but the two bro's pipe is much more oval shaped than circular. I tend not to like aftermarket undertail exhausts but this is the exception to that rule. I love the way it looks and it sounds insane but it's crazy loud compared to my ninjette. My step brother could hear me over a mile away.

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
It might be hard to tell but the two bro's pipe is much more oval shaped than circular. I tend not to like aftermarket undertail exhausts but this is the exception to that rule. I love the way it looks and it sounds insane but it's crazy loud compared to my ninjette. My step brother could hear me over a mile away.

Looks better in that picture. Other picture was at a weird angle. Nice bike/exhaust

Old September 10th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #8
rusninja

i wana see the side :S

Old September 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Live2ride

Quote:
i wana see the side :S
I'll post more pics by tonight. The side won't look that great because of a lack of side fairings.

Old September 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Why do I have to live in California!?!?! It would be around $4000 for that bike here

Lucky ****

Old September 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #11
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

thats an awesome deal! great find.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #12
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Why do I have to live in California!?!?! It would be around $4000 for that bike here

Lucky ****
I jumped on the opportunity and he originally wanted $3,000. I went to look at the bike and told him for the price I wouldn't buy it (quite a few fairing cracks; more cosmetic damage than he told me to begin with). About 3 hours later he shot me a text saying he would take $2600 for it. I went back, test rode it, and offered him $2,500 which he then accepted. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling to leave the first time. The bike runs great and it is fast as hell. So far I feel like my ninjette is more enjoyable to ride because in the twisties with that small tire on the back it's a lot of fun. The zx6r feels much more solid; it holds a straight line very well but so far I haven't been able to keep a good line while cornering. I can definitely feel the extra traction from the wider tire. And yes; I like to think of myself as a Lucky **** for finding this deal . I got such a good deal on it that, when I had the title transferred this morning, I had to get a dmv form notarized at my bank since it was less than 50% of kbb value. Maybe you could drive cross-country and buy it from me when It's back in better shape.

Old September 10th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #13
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
I jumped on the opportunity and he originally wanted $3,000. I went to look at the bike and told him for the price I wouldn't buy it (quite a few fairing cracks; more cosmetic damage than he told me to begin with). About 3 hours later he shot me a text saying he would take $2600 for it. I went back, test rode it, and offered him $2,500 which he then accepted. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling to leave the first time. The bike runs great and it is fast as hell. So far I feel like my ninjette is more enjoyable to ride because in the twisties with that small tire on the back it's a lot of fun. The zx6r feels much more solid; it holds a straight line very well but so far I haven't been able to keep a good line while cornering. I can definitely feel the extra traction from the wider tire. And yes; I like to think of myself as a Lucky **** for finding this deal . I got such a good deal on it that, when I had the title transferred this morning, I had to get a dmv form notarized at my bank since it was less than 50% of kbb value. Maybe you could drive cross-country and buy it from me when It's back in better shape.

Very nice! Congrats

Old September 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Live2ride

Ok; here are the pics...A lot of them.

Old September 10th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #15
Live2ride

Wow, all that hype about pics and no posts for over an hour. Is it that ugly?

Old September 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #16
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
No, I was in church. Nice bike, but can passengers burn their butt on the exhaust? Also, it doesn't look that bad without fairings. I think if someone wasn't very proficient in motorcycling knowledge they wouldn't notice the lack of them.

Old September 10th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #17
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
No, I was in church. Nice bike, but can passengers burn their butt on the exhaust? Also, it doesn't look that bad without fairings. I think if someone wasn't very proficient in motorcycling knowledge they wouldn't notice the lack of them.
there is a heat shield above the pipe / below the seat. If the passenger decided to slide off the back and rest their buns on the hot can then yes, it would burn them . The rear seat sits 2-3 inches above the can as well so that minimizes the heat even more. I don't mind the look without the side fairings much but I feel like it would look cleaner if they were there for obvious reasons. The rear seat needs to be replaced with an oem one because 1 of the 2 po's decided that a cheap leather cover and unevenly cut foam would apparently look better than stock (whoever it was obviously wasn't smart). So far I plan on buying the following:

1) new rear seat (probably $30-$40 at most)
2) side fairings (roughly $150 each in good condition)
3) possibly a new right rearset (since the crack in the current one doesn't seem fixable) ($50-$70)
4) maybe some better looking rear fairings (looks like someone performed the worst rattle can job ever lol) (hopefully not much more than $30-$40)
5) fairing bolts if none come with the fairings I buy. (who cares about the cost; it's to little to worry about $10)

So hopefully I can keep the repair bill below or around $460

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #18
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
there is a heat shield above the pipe / below the seat. If the passenger decided to slide off the back and rest their buns on the hot can then yes, it would burn them . The rear seat sits 2-3 inches above the can as well so that minimizes the heat even more. I don't mind the look without the side fairings much but I feel like it would look cleaner if they were there for obvious reasons. The rear seat needs to be replaced with an oem one because 1 of the 2 po's decided that a cheap leather cover and unevenly cut foam would apparently look better than stock (whoever it was obviously wasn't smart). So far I plan on buying the following:

3) possibly a new right rearset (since the crack in the current one doesn't seem fixable) ($50-$70)
4) maybe some better looking rear fairings (looks like someone performed the worst rattle can job ever lol) (hopefully not much more than $30-$40)
5) fairing bolts if none come with the fairings I buy. (who cares about the cost; it's to little to worry about $10)

Cool. It's not very noticeable but it does look a bit "sloppy" without fairings.

Where are you going to post your modifications? Here or another thread?

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Also, aftermarket exhausts don't get nearly as hot because they lack the cat in the can itself.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Good find, Cody! That bike is great, though some might say I'm biased!

As far as trouble in the corners and holding a line, I'm sure it's just SR's taking over. Remember to apply the throttle evenly, smoothly, and constantly through the turn. You'll do fine. You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.

Old September 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #21
rusninja

very nice you can pull of no fairing look because of sexy frame :P just get a darn mirror x]

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #22
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Good find, Cody! That bike is great, though some might say I'm biased!

As far as trouble in the corners and holding a line, I'm sure it's just SR's taking over. Remember to apply the throttle evenly, smoothly, and constantly through the turn. You'll do fine. You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.
Well, I've only ridden it twice. the first time I didn't get above 40 mph (when I was test riding it). The 40 mph was by accident; it felt like I was going 15-20mph . The second time was about a 5-6 mile round trip through some twisties by my house then on a straightaway. What I did notice was that my corner entrance speed seemed roughly the same as my ninja but I was fighting with the bike to keep a good line and keep away from the double yellow. I was not racing moto gp style through the twisties either because they can be very dangerous, hidden driveways around blind corners, sand / fresh mowed grass, gravel etc. I just noticed how much more difficult it was to throw around than my ninjette. I'm sure after another 100 miles or so that I'll get used to it. It is fun to ride in a straight line but not nearly as fun as the ninja in the twisties . That actually makes me happy because I love my 250 so much.

Quote:
very nice you can pull of no fairing look because of sexy frame :P just get a darn mirror x]
I plan on ordering a set of replacement mirrors today. The front fairing has a crack but it's above the mirror attachment so I'm hoping to fix that as well. I believe it's legal in va as long as I have 1 of the mirrors though. Still, it looks funny without the right mirror, but that should change soon . And yes, the frame is definitely sexy.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #23
Live2ride

Quote:
You just need to adjust to the extra power, and it's a LOT extra.
Yes, it is definitely A LOT of power. I just messed around and a top speed run of first gear ran 84 mph before I even hit redline so I just decided to leave the rest a mystery; couldn't have been more than 90mph though . That's a lot different from my ninjettes 38 mph redline in first gear... I love the bike so far but it has too much power imo. I think I can handle the power but it's definitely set up more towards track racing.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #24
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Well that's an amaaazing deal actually! Even if you do dump 500 on full fairings...those things run nowhere under 5000$ here =p and that's with over 15000km on them.

As for the flicking into corners thing, i thought the same thing ...well because it's true, but after riding it for a week or 2 you actually find it easier to throw into corners and you can get nice lines going. And if you drive the ninja after those few weeks then it feels weird and way to easy to maneuver; you can literally give the wheel about a 20 degree spin in mid corner..which is i don't even know an adjective aahha.

Nice bike again!

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #25
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
I'm sure it's just SR's taking over.
?

Old September 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #26
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

From twist of the wrist series, SR means survival reactions. There's many SR's that are the opposite of what you should be doing. An example is that it's a natural reflex for people to brake in a corner when they're running hot which can be the wrong thing to do.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
From twist of the wrist series, SR means survival reactions. There's many SR's that are the opposite of what you should be doing. An example is that it's a natural reflex for people to brake in a corner when they're running hot which can be the wrong thing to do.
Oh...you probably should lean more right?

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #28
Cuongism

I actually phrased my example incorrectly. The Survival Reaction is the act of rolling off the throttle when going in too hot. The solution would be to be smooth on the throttle throughout to not disrupt your traction. Smoothly increasing the throttle, leaning further, and/or hanging off can help get you get through the turn.

Over/under braking is a separate SR.

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Live2ride

Well; I just sent the money for a used, good condition rearset for $35 shipped and 2 new mirrors for $27 shipped.

My cornering issue was not a throttle control problem, I'm simply not use to the feeling of such a large bike. I was leaning more / less during the turn in an attempt to keep a decent line. My lines tended to be on the outside of my lane through the entire turn instead of outside, inside, then back out. I think I was leaning too little during the whole turn; but it felt much more difficult to lean the entire bike. I think the main difference is how stiff the suspension is on the bike compared to my 250. luckily it's adjustable so that's not a big issue .

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #30
Cuongism

Hey Cody, my post wasn't necessarily about you but just explaining to Nick what SR's are.

I haven't rode a ZX6R in awhile so can't remember how low the clipons are. Something that may help is to remember to push forward on the bars. The 250 is so flickable and the handlebars are fairly upright that it's natural to push the bar forward. On a SS, you're higher on the tank and the bars are much lower so you're more above the bars vs in front of them and there's a tendency of pushing the bars down or at an angle vs pushing forward. Hope that may help with making the lean easier

Congrats on a great deal btw

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #31
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

Congrats, you got one heck of a deal!

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #32
Live2ride

Quote:
Hey Cody, my post wasn't necessarily about you but just explaining to Nick what SR's are.

I haven't rode a ZX6R in awhile so can't remember how low the clipons are. Something that may help is to remember to push forward on the bars. The 250 is so flickable and the handlebars are fairly upright that it's natural to push the bar forward. On a SS, you're higher on the tank and the bars are much lower so you're more above the bars vs in front of them and there's a tendency of pushing the bars down or at an angle vs pushing forward. Hope that may help with making the lean easier

Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely have to try it out next ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNinja View Post
Congrats, you got one heck of a deal!
thanks.

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #33
Live2ride

Today I spent a lot of time in the shed fixing small things on the bike. I took off all of the rear fairings and found some cracks in the under fairings; I went ahead and fixed those with good ol' super glue. I also glued a crack in the front fairing to prevent it from growing larger and one crack in the lower side fairing. Eventually I figured I should attach my license plate and I definitely didn't want it where the po had it prior (check the 3rd post / first pic I posted to see what I mean). He had a fender eliminator installed below the exhaust can that was only holding the rear brake light bar and the 2 turn signals which were pointing downward instead of outward and thus illegal (less than 9 inches apart). I ended up turning the fender eliminator around so that it was slanted more horizontal and backward as you can see in the pic. I also attached the turn signals sideways and attached the brake light bar to the bottom of the license plate making it much more visible; I just hope it's legal. Tomorrow I might paint the lower back fairings and rear mid fairings flat black (green lines in pic) since the current paint job is...less than appealing. The po obviously didn't even know how to apply spray paint (the fairings are originally flat black I believe, he painted them gloss black for some reason).

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #34
blink
Always.

Quote:

MSF always said you turn by pushing forward?
So I guess it's just on a 250 you push angled due to body position?

600's seem very easy to take corners on after riding them for a bit

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #35
blink
Always.

You should put an Akra pipe, two bros is way too louddd isn't it?

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #36
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Cody, in addition to what Cuong said, I would re-emphasize the throttle control issue. You may think it isn't throttle control, but once the bike is leaned, throttle controls it. Aside from very minor steering inputs, the throttle sets the weight distribution and allows the suspension to do its job. There is a great thread on cornering in the Rider Skills section with some solid advice from Misti, who teaches at Keith Code's Superbike School.

I mean no disrespect with this post, but the first step to getting better is realizing there may be a problem. I don't know how you ride, but I critique every little thing I do on every ride I take. I realize that is more an OCD thing with me than something everyone does. I just like to be as good as I can at anything I enjoy. Even so, you can always learn something every time you ride if you choose to. The problems come in when you feel as though you can't learn anything else. I was never smarter in life than the day I realized I would never know everything.

Good luck with the bike. Be safe.

Old September 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #37
Live2ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
You should put an Akra pipe, two bros is way too louddd isn't it?
It is rather loud but when riding I actually enjoyed hearing the louder engine noise. Hearing it through earplugs made it much better for my ears, I hope it's not obnoxiously loud to bystanders though. I don't wanna be able to be heard from a mile away but I feel like it will be nice on the highway; the 2 bros pipe is gutted too .

Quote:
Cody, in addition to what Cuong said, I would re-emphasize the throttle control issue. You may think it isn't throttle control, but once the bike is leaned, throttle controls it. Aside from very minor steering inputs, the throttle sets the weight distribution and allows the suspension to do its job. There is a great thread on cornering in the Rider Skills section with some solid advice from Misti, who teaches at Keith Code's Superbike School.

I mean no disrespect with this post, but the first step to getting better is realizing there may be a problem. I don't know how you ride, but I critique every little thing I do on every ride I take. I realize that is more an OCD thing with me than something everyone does. I just like to be as good as I can at anything I enjoy. Even so, you can always learn something every time you ride if you choose to. The problems come in when you feel as though you can't learn anything else. I was never smarter in life than the day I realized I would never know everything.

Good luck with the bike. Be safe.
I definitely didn't take any disrespect from your post. I love constructive criticism . As far as anything goes on my new bike I feel like only time will help. I've ridden a total of maybe 5-6 miles on the bike since buying it compared to around 5k+ on my 250. I also criticize myself on every ride constantly trying to improve my skills. Tbh, I didn't expect riding a larger bike to differ so greatly from my 250. I expected the increase in power but the handling is drastically different. I'm sure once I start riding it a bit more I will gain a much better handle on it. I consider myself a more proficient rider than average for my seat time but I assure you that I do not act cocky about it. I love riding and I can't wait to experience riding different kinds of motorcycles. I hope to eventually ride many different kinds of bikes such as sport touring, cruiser, chopper, cafe racer, dual sport, streetfighter, spyder etc because I feel like every motorcycle will give me a unique sense of accomplishment and self-satisfaction.

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #38
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

That's a nice ass deal for such a clean bike

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #39
Live2ride

Quote:

I have the following being shipped to me atm:

-slightly used right rearset $35 shipped
-used rear seat $37 shipped
-new mirrors $27 shipped

I expect the side fairings to cost the highest of all the repairs but finding one used for a decent price is hard enough; finding one the correct color, used and in good condition seems near impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
That's a nice ass deal for such a clean bike
The bike isn't as clean as the pics make it seem (up close you can notice a few imperfections but nothing really major), but I like to think it was still a great deal; thanks.

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #40
Live2ride

Well, being the idiot I am I didn't check the tire pressure before the ride I took on the zx6r. The rear was at about 15 psi when its supposed to be 42 and the front was a little low. I believe that may be why the bike felt so strange to ride around.